Toyota Inner CV Boot

TDORSloppy

Reaction
Went to Ocotillo this past weekend and busted my other inner CV Boot. I got the T-100 axles from Kragen as a whole reman. set (new CV's, boots) When I went to put them in the Driver side flexed too much and busted! I was F-'in pissed! I don't think there was a warranty either. I didn't even get to drive it yet. Then the other one busted this past weekend. Well enough about that, I need to replace them and I don't need another Kragen piece of dog doo! I've heard that the Tacoma one fits. Does anybody know if this is true? Any other boots that someone knows about?

evan_clanin

Reaction
i dont know for sure, if they fit, cuz i havnt tried it, but i know that the tacoma axels are going to be shorter than the t100, full size vs compact

TDORSloppy

Reaction
Evan,

I not talking about replacing the whole axle just the boot. I need to run the T-100 axles no matter what, I have a Total Chaos Caddy Kit. Here is a picture to show what happened.

The funny thing is it didn't break on the seam, it broke in the middle. The rubber was very thin and the grease was new but it could have been sitting on a shelf for years and all the grease could have softened the rubber. Anybody know if nylon, kevlar, or anything is stronger?

tkr

Reaction
looks more like something hit it, not a defective boot. A lot of buggy guys run leather covers over their 930 cv's. You may want to look into them and see it they'll fit over yours.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
research into porsche/VW CV boots. And by the way, Ivan Stewart ran leather on the Independent rear suspension of his TT. So leather sounds like a good idea to me.

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
He said something about Kevlar - I would think that would be the best option, if you made a Kevlar cover that maybe fit over the boot?

David - No one of consequence.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I have a Downey catalog with these boots called "Spira-seal" that are claimed to handle 45 degrees. All they have in the catalog is the outer but it is an older catalog (1999) so I don't know if they now have inners. The other thing I was thinking is how long the boots might have been on the shelf. Maybe they sat for a while next to a heater vent or some thing and were dried out. Just a thought.

SuperDave

Reaction
I've tried these Downey Spiral Tech CV boots. They only make the outers, no inners available. These boots lasted only minutes off-road. The first set of whoops I hit caused the rubber to tear open as a result of the drop out. I don't recommend them. I put my stock toyota CV boots on (original from 1994) and they're still holding up well. I have the 2" longer 4x4 Toyota arms from TC with the 930 inner CVs and custom axles. Toyota doesn't sell the boots without buying the whole axle. See if you can find some at a junk yard or salvage the ones from your stock axles.

Dave

TDORSloppy

Reaction
Yeah, I heard that the Downey "spiro-crap" boots are worse than the stock boots. I got the Tacoma boots today and tried to fit them on. Right off the bat they looked stronger with 5 or 6 ridges and made out of the same material as the rack and pinion boots. They didn't go on very easy, I had to soften them with a heat gun just to fit over the axle and the cv side is way small and I'm strecthing it out right now with some clamps. Does any one have Ivan's number so I can ask him where he gets his? J/K
Thanks for the ideas.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
You should have told me about 2 weeks ago. Ivan came into Baja Concepts in Fallbrook heh.

Go Big Or Go Home