Toyota leafs

The_Hulk

Reaction
Have an 88 Toy 2wd with 62" Deavers. When cycling my leafs the drive shaft starts pulling out from the trans. Is this normal, and if so how much can pull out? If this is bad what can I do to fix it? Thanks for any help.

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Do you have a one piece or 2 piece? And how much exactly does it come out? The yoke is supposed to move a little when the suspenion cycles but not a lot.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Not to change this tread but I had a question along these lines about my Ford. When I am going up hill through whoops or even mild washboard, there is a "banging" sound of metal on metal. The only thing I can think of after totally examining my truck and not seeing anything broken, is that the ring on the drive shaft is hitting the transmission when the rear suspension cycles up. Is this possible or has anybody had any similar experience?

See ya in the dirt!

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Some driveshaft movement is normal but I beleive anything over 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch is a problem.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

ntsqd

Reaction
Wrap some tape around the yoke up against the trans seal and then pull the driveshaft out of the truck. Now you can see just hom much spline engagement there is. If it is pulling out much past leaving two diameters worth of engagement I'd say you need to talk to a shop about.

As to the ringing noise problem, one possible explaination is that you're bottoming out the slipyoke. Are the witness marks from the trans wiper seal clear up against the Ujoint end of the yoke ? If you can't tell try putting a rubber band or near tight zip tie on the yoke and go pound on it. Then you can see where it's moving to. You could have the opposite problem too. The banging noise you're hearing could be the slipyoke binding up because it's being pulled too far back.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Tom_Willis

Reaction
By the way, does anybody know who sells extended rear brake lines for an '01 Taco prerunner? There's gotta be somebody who makes them, even if they're not DOT approved. Thanks.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Earls....they will make any brake line you want to any size you want.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

ntsqd

Reaction
My friend Ruben brought up a good point about pre-made braided stainless brakelines. They lack the strength of a screw together hose end. When you fail one, it usually comes apart btwn the crimped band and the end itself. So, don't buy those that have something other than a -3 female end on them, buy the needed adaptor fittings, and then you can field fix it with a screw together type hose end.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Porterfield Brakes makes them, just bring them in your stock one and you'll leave with one in 15 mins. They are located in Costa Mesa, cost me about $28 for my tacoma.

orvacian

Reaction
TMR (Torino Motor Racing) in Orange made all my stainless brake lines custom for me. They were only about $25/ea average. Bring in your stock ones like the dude mentioned earlier and if you call ahead you may get em while you wait. They did have a DOT approved set available special order for most trucks. I know they make em strong because I broke a lower ball joint one time and that popped the upper bj out of socket and the only thing holding the entire spindle on the truck was the stainless TMR made brake line and the tie rod! The brake line still looked purfect and never leaked a drop! The tie rod was bent to hell!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 08/26/02 11:24 PM (server time).</FONT></P>