toyota leafs

Custom_Yota

Reaction
Anyone know much about the famous chevy spring swap? I Guess that people use the leafs out of an 89-98 chevy 1/2 ton truck, Any info I have gotten has been from 4x4 people and they claim that they get around 18" inches on a ramp, the springs are just a hair over 63" in. long so i was just curious if anyone has done it on their truck?

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Do a search under the Toyota p/u section on the Pirate4x4.com site BBS. There are several very good FAQ's and writes ups on the subject.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

1992f150

Reaction
i think pat kapco (sp?) did this swap. Search for his post about in (shop forum)

Azusa: shame of the foothills

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Yup Pat did it. Email him or search here.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

yotatech

Reaction
i know this isnt about putting chevy leafs on a yota but i didnt want to start a new forum. Anyways, i was looking for sugestions on putting leafs in the back of my 4x4 toyota pickup. Its got the total chaos caddy kit on the front and i would like to match it in the rear without doing hoops. I would like to keep the bed for sleeping inthe desert and hauling stuff around. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Custom_Yota

Reaction
you can keep your bed and still run hoops, thats not a problem, just hold them as far out as possible.

humboldt

Reaction
Here's the link to the chevy spring FAQ on Pirate4x4.com:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=6442a44476b9ea5da304a10fd8a77c83&threadid=20665&highlight=chevy+spring+faq>http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=6442a44476b9ea5da304a10fd8a77c83&threadid=20665&highlight=chevy+spring+faq</A>

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I did it about 4 or 5 years ago in my race truck.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jdfab.com/forsale/truck.htm>http://www.jdfab.com/forsale/truck.htm</A>

click on the link that says more pictures of the truck and the top one has a shot of the leafs. It's not the greatest pic though.

I used the top 3 main leafs from the Chevy pack then added about 4 more leafs that were cut down with a chopsaw. the other leafs came from the stock toyota pack and from a '63 Ford Galaxy... You have to make a new front mount that is farther forward and also make new shackles and a rear shackle mount. I couldn't tell you the exact amount of travel it gets. I do know that if I made longer shackles it would probably get more travel. This setup has worked with no problems at all for years.

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
Since the length of the spring is pretty close to the 62 deavers, can I just swap out the chevy leafs later on when I have enough money? Will front hangers be in the same place? and maybe just a shackle change?

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
You will need to find out the length of the front eye of the spring to the center of the spring where it bolts to the axle housing. If its the same or close to the 62" Deavers then it might work with no mods or maybe just a shackle mod.

My Chevy leafs measure just under 32" from the center of the front eye to the center pin where it bolts to the axle. Keep in mind that is with them on the truck at ride height, and in a straight line, not measured along the arch of the spring. Also I moved my front spring mount 10 1/4" forward from the stock mount. This is on a '82 Toyota 2wd longbed frame.

The guy from Deaver that is on here can probably tell you if it would work.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I did the swap acording to the Pirate web page. The springs I used are around 64" long. Ditched the overload and kept the others and it works sweet. It's soft, and I getting around 13" maybe. Will be having Deaver make me another Chebby/Yota pack in the future. PM me if you have any questions.

<font color=yellow>United Jump Truck Society<font color=yellow>
U.J.T.S. President.

drtdevil93

Reaction
you would have to move the mounts to put our spring in there. the chevy is on center (32X32) and our spring is 28X34.

we do have new front mounts available which are made for the toyota frame, and wide enough for the chevy spring. these are necessary because the toyota spring is 2 1/4" wide, whereas chevy springs are 2.5" wide. the only way around new front mounts is to shave the bushings down.

erik