• Forum membership has its advantages....

toyota mechanical fuel pump question

geoff

I just put the motor back in my 87 carb'd yota. Im turning it over and turning it over and turning it over and its not getting any fuel -- How can i test the pump or is there a way to get fuel to it?

... i like efi.

Mathmatics is the language of nature.

gary

i don't know how to test the stock one, cuz i pulled mine out and put in an electric one. you can bypass it with an electric one, then you'll have an idea if it's the pump or not...if you live anywhere near buena park, i've got an extra electric one if you wanna try it...

Tyson

I agree with Gary if you live near him - try an electric one. But if you wanted to stay with the pump you have put a fuel pressure gauge in line after the pump, that'll at least tell you if its working. Just my .02.

Not that you can trust my advise with Toyota fuel problems ~~~I'm still having problems getting mine to run good.

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops.

geoff

ok i got it, i was being stupid and got the lines mixed up. i got the truck running, but i gotta fatten up the mixture, its breaking up under anything but light/medium throttle. Have you swapped out the carbs to mikunis/webers or are you still using the stock carb?

any idea how to add fuel? Thanks... oh im in AZ btw, nowhere near you.

cleartoy

Im using the stock fuel pump (replaced a year ago) to feed my 40mm Weber side drafts on my 85. I havent had any problems, but Toysport says i should get a high volume\low PSI Mallory pump. Its about $150.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

ntsqd

Webers are real over pressure sensitive. Much beyend 4 psi will make them hate you. And show it.
Personal preference: I do not buy anything Mallory. I've had too many failures in the past with their product.
The Italians have been using Facet pumps for years with Webers. Holley makes a pressure regulator that will go low enough for Webers, you have to ask for it otherwise you get the one with a range 4-10 psi range intended for 4 bbls.

I would set the system up with a return using the stock lines. Put a 6 psi pop-off on the inlet to the regulator. Then you can use any pump, including the stock EFI pump.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

geoff

Do you use the stock carb or something else? Im having some difficulty getting the stock carb to run right, and no one seems to run it, which im surprised about, considering it does flow 326 cfm, not too shabby.

gary

this may or may not be helpful/relevant, but check the choke. when i got my front shock cage built, my fab guy whacked the choke somehow, and bent the spring/rod part on the outside of it. truck ran like crap for 2 months til i got the carb rebuilt, and they told me all that was really wrong was the bent part.

Ryno

Geoff-

I think you are running the Turbo 22R? If so, 325cfm isn't enough to feed a turbo anyhoos. That bad dog has to breath....same thing with the exhaust. I would go up to a 350-4000 cfm carb, and maybe ask around for advice on the jetting. Jets can easily richen up the mixture, and can be changed relatively easily. Kinda trial and error, but easier than constantly looking for a different carb. I don't know if you have an O2 sensor or not on that thing, if you do, you can fine tune it with a Edelbrock tool, which tells you where the mixture is at based of the amount of Hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel), in the exhaust. It's on the pricey side, at about $150, but can make like a helluva lot simpler.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.