• Forum membership has its advantages....

Toyota MTEG Stadium Truck Build

michael_loomis

This thread reminds me of walking thru my grandfathers playboy lined garage in the 80's.

So hot!

steveG

That's awesome. A lot of the trucks built today are fantastic and all, but I just love the modular trucks of yesterday. Thanks for sharing!

Random Thoughts Racing

Re: Rear Shocks

Looking at the layout of the rear shocks and the canitlever setup it looks like for the rear the side of the valve stack with 4 shims is actually the compression and the 5 shims are rebound. Also notice the piston is flipped compared to the front.

As far as components goes a modern 14mm rod guide can retrofit the old 4 piece rod guide pictured and I am sure that a current 46mm viton oring will work in the IFP. Heims also look to be replaceable with modern units. The tubes are all customized 46mm with non Bilstein fittings and hoses. Feel free to contact me therough normal channels if you need some donor parts or if you want to retrofit with 60mm dampers. [email protected]

Original Rear Shocks - 3 per corner, two 12" bodies and one 10" body per side. Reservoir hose connect on the bottom of the body.

Rear shock valving shim stack
(Looks like they used more low speed control profile on both rebound/comp compared to the front)

Rebound
__________backing plate
____18 x .50
______26 x .30
________30 x .35
__________36 x .45
[__________]PISTON
__________36 x .30
_________32 x .30
________28 x .20
_______26 x .20
_____24 x .15
__________backing plate
Compression

RaceHacker

Looking at the layout of the rear shocks and the canitlever setup it looks like for the rear the side of the valve stack with 4 shims is actually the compression and the 5 shims are rebound. Also notice the piston is flipped compared to the front. As far as components goes a modern 14mm rod guide can retrofit the old 4 piece rod guide pictured and I am sure that a current 46mm viton oring will work in the IFP. Heims also look to be replaceable with modern units. The tubes are all customized 46mm with non Bilstein fittings and hoses. Feel free to contact me therough normal channels if you need some donor parts or if you want to retrofit with 60mm dampers. [email protected]
Thanks Joel, I really appreciate it! This shock had been pulled apart prior (no oil), so I was suspect of the valving after I took this pic. I pulled another shock apart, and all of the valving specs were the same just reversed. So on the pic, the nut is just on the wrong side of the stack & the piston was flipped (probably error on my part). So best that I can tell, the rear does use the compression side of the piston (& 5 shims) on the compression (pull) stroke. I have other rears that are still un-assembled, so I will confirm. Also curious if the shim material has changed over the years. Would the same stack used with the current material have the same rate?

Random Thoughts Racing

Thanks Joel, I really appreciate it! .... Also curious if the shim material has changed over the years. Would the same stack used with the current material have the same rate?
I dont believe there has been a significant change in materials. The 8mmID shims still come from Germany as they always have.

RaceHacker

That's awesome. A lot of the trucks built today are fantastic and all, but I just love the modular trucks of yesterday. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, much different and simplified (refined) today due to the use of modern tech and larger/bypass (fewer) shocks. Just a different WOW factor. The guys working on these at PPI were and are amazingly talented.

RaceHacker

Beadlock Wheels

Before there were beadlocks wheels everywhere...Toyota made their own.

Instead of welding the ring carrier to the wheel, it was bolted on.

_

There are still a few PPI guys around that were involved in the design and campaigning of that truck. They may be able to aid you with some of your questions. Send me a PM if you need contact info.

I didn't start with PPI until 1991. By that time, PPI was onto chassis 010-011-014 and 015. But, I was partially involved in the engine development for the early 4-cyl engines through a back door at TMS.

RaceHacker

Cantilever Detail

Here’s a close up of the cantilever arm and torsion carrier. This looks like it originally was mounted lower on the frame (notice the optional lower support hole and riser block). Best as I can tell, the lower mount version allows the longer travel setup and also changes the travel to shock stroke ratio. Interesting, the class 7 truck torsion carrier was welded to the frame in this area, not bolt on like the stadium truck.

Pic of the class 7 truck during its build for comparison

I would really like to have one of these desert rear ends...I don't want to think about hitting a rock with that magnesium dana 60.

Last edited:

robertharman

Very cool Alan. Glad to see you are working on the old girl. Now get it prepped and go have some fun with it.

9five9

You say you want to run it in stage rally. Just out of curiosity, have you sent pictures to Mike Hurst at RA, or any rally tech inspector to see what would need to be done to the truck just to make it rally legal? It looks like it would need a LOT of cage mods (or possibly an entirely different cage) just to make it legal. That would really suck.

RaceHacker

Maybe Rory will trade you for that center section for his Mickey thompson project.
jajaja, yeah he needs it. But if the mag rear was to be replaced with desert set up, I think I would clean it up and set it on my coffee table and just to look at. It's a nice piece of art! :)