Toyota Pickup Rear Spring Options

Jeremyks

Reaction
Im in the process of installing a JD Fab long travel front end on my 89 pickup. I'm not the original owner of the pickup but the rear suspension appears to be stock. I'm looking for options on the rear to match ride height and travel as my front will have. I don't plan to race this pickup or jump it but the goal is to have a super good riding pickup on rough roads and still be able to use it as a pickup. I do still haul stuff and I even occasionally pull a trailer with it. The pickup does have a flatbed on it so I do have a little more room than probably just a regular pickup to stuff shocks under the bed but I would really rather not cut holes in the flat bed to run shocks through the bed.

Any ideas or advice?
Thanks!

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
The cheapest option is to use a set of 63" leafs from a chevy truck. I put a set on an '85 4runner I built a long time ago and they worked great. I think I used the top 2 or 3 main leafs then cut down a few more Toyota leafs to make my own custom pack. I have a friend that uses them on his Tacoma that he has a Total Chaos long travel kit on the front and he just uses the 3 main leafs from the Chevy spring pack. He also had them on his 89-95 style Toyota before that. And you have to relocated the spring hangers and use longer shackles of course. I bought a kit that Ruff Stuff sells for this exact swap that I'm going to use on my 1970 FJ55 Land Cruiser project. Leaf Spring Swap Kits - RuffStuff Specialties

There are other options like Deaver also.

Jeremyks

Reaction
Thanks for the link to kit. What shocks do you think I could run without going through the bed? The kit I'm putting up front has King coil overs.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Thanks for the link to kit. What shocks do you think I could run without going through the bed? The kit I'm putting up front has King coil overs.
I ran 10" travel Fox's on the 1985 4runner I built about 14 years ago with the chevy leafs. They were angled quite a bit but it worked. I also have a set of 10" that I'm going to use for my FJ55.

I attached the only photos I have of my old 4runner. You could also do something like the Total Chaos shock mounts that weld to the axle and hang down so the shocks don't have to be angled as much. TOTAL CHAOS FABRICATION

Attachments

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
After looking at that rear photo of the 4runner it looks like I just ran a stock set of Chevy leafs with 4 leafs in them. I might have been thinking of my old race truck where I only used the top 1 or 2 leafs and cut down some Toyota leafs to add in to make my own spring pack.