Toyota pre-runner

CanyonMan

So I have decided on not using my full size GMC 4x4 to build a pre-runner. My next question is, can anybody suggest a good year toyota to start with to build up? I don't wanna spend a fortune but I do want fuel injection if possible. Also, is a ranger of same year comparable or better than a Toyota? Who makes good kits for Toyota's and how much are they usually? Thanks!!

Lyrch

In_the_works

I have a feeling that this thread may get really ugly really fast. In my opinion though, I would suggest going the Ranger route, simply because of the availability and price of the parts. Another reason being that it is much easier to do a slow build up with I-beam set-up. Of course if you have the $3,000 to plunk down all at once for a front end long travel kit, it could go either way. But what do I know, I'm a full size ford guy.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab

YZFster

I am with u there....once u go fullsize, you never go back.........

Go Big or stay there.

elcaprerunner

My buddy has an '88 Toyota 4WD that he just beat the piss out of when it was stock and it held up like a champ. It is a fuel injected 22RE 4 cylinder, its not very fast but it will run forever. Now he is puttin the Total Chaos "Caddy Kit" for 4WD that comes with T100 4WD axles in the front, it is 3 1/2" wider on each side and gets 12" of travel and comes with SAW shocks. Total Chaos also makes a nice 2WD uniball kit with coilovers. Also ATS and Camburg make nice kits for these trucks also. Plan on spending about $3000 or more on a nice working suspension for the front of a Yota. I might be getting a Ranger to build up. They are definately cheaper to but are not as reliable as a Toyota. Camburg makes like a million kits for Rangers as well.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

CanyonMan

I was considering a 4 cylinder ranger then swapping in an SVO turbo four in it for a little more fun factor. It does seem Rangers are the easiest way to go, experience and money wise. Are Toyota's A-arm front ends are I-beams? Also, what are some good shocks to start with? I am thinking of Bilstein 5100s to start or Kings. Any ideas?

Lyrch

I am also wondering on building a bed cage to run full glass for whatever truck I build . What is the best way to measure and place the mounting points? Is it easiest to measure from existing stock panels then run tubing to those locations? <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by CanyonMan on 10/28/02 12:15 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
I think that you are mistaken about the Bilsteins.

......and thus starts the shock war!

See ya in the dirt!

1992f150

86 and up toyota trucks have EFI (though i think you can get carbed ones too, not sure when they stopped making the 22R...). 86 is the first year they came with A arms. If your getting a 2wd toyota then I hear get an 89 or newer. Suposedly the older 2wds you must run a body lift to clear the tires. The engine you want is the 22RE, the E is for EFI, the carbed version is a 22R.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

evan_clanin

go with a 89-95 pick up 2 wd toyota 22re, extra cab

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

CanyonMan

How hard is it to turbo the enigine or swap in a turbo motor like say from a Supra or something? Anybody out there done that? I gotta have the ponies to beat the phonies!

Lyrch

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
If you like to spend money...buy a Tacoma. If you like to go fast in the dirt for relatively less money...buy a Ranger. I have spent a few grand and beat the crap out of my truck and have yet to brake anything. The majority of yota guys on here are always talking about switchin this with that or that and this and then something breaks and they gotta go with this becasue its hot off the market...ford rangers have been proven for 20 years stick with proof!

Tacomas look nice when done proper, but then you are afraid to use it because the cost is so hi.

All anybody says is oh the camber sucks on an Ibeam and steering is hard to get right...majority of the people saying that can't even tell the difference while driving and some of the A arm kits out there are almost as bad..bumpsteer wise and they cost two or three times as much for that same quality of travel.

I am a Ford guy so I advocate ford...Toyotas are good for pounding pavement, but pricey in the dirt.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

fishd00d

What A Joke
Ya The Piece is a big Pavement Pounder....its even got the stickers on the door....

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Doesn't the leader of the "Pavement Pounders" drive a Toyota? I think he proudly displays it down the side of his truck?!

Sorry Fish!

Go Ford or Go Home......On a Trailer!

See ya in the dirt!

CanyonMan

Ya know, usually it's Ford vs. Chevy that gets these kind of responses! I'm actually a GM guy at heart, but in truth, if it goes fast instead of just looking fast, then that's fine by me.

Lyrch

havahockey

Flipper

This guy is an idiot for using his Tacoma like that...should of stayed on the street.

Go Fords...

Race-Dezert Anonymous - Step #1:
"Hello, my name is Jason. And I'm a Race-Dezertaholic."

1992f150

Some trucks come stock with a turbo (22RET i think) but they only made it for like 2 years and its really rare. www.desertspeed.com guy swapped inline 6 supra engine (non turbo).

Azusa: shame of the foothills

hbprnstr

Havahockey, why you talking trash on your own truck kid. Don't tell me you are over toyotas and are going to Fords.

jeff

Why not build the fullsize 4x4? Can't be much more than a Toyota and you've already got the truck.

I've seen a few nice "long travel" 4x4 IFS trucks and that seems to be a pretty sweet way to go if you gotta have 4wd.

SJP12

Your all wrong,

The LEADERS of the "pavement pounders" all drive S-10's like myself, and if there hard core "pavement pounder" they have a "LONG TRAVEL" kit with fiberglass. HA HA..........ITS ALL GOOD............

If youve never been scared your going to slow