toyota rear end ?'s

SpareChangeRacng

toyota rear end ?\'s

Hey guys, I don't know much about toyotas, and I want to swap an 8" into my brothers 85 2wd. I believe 85 and up 2wd v6's had the 8" rear w/ the 5 lug pattern, and the spring plates on the axle in the same place as the 4 cyl. 2wd. Am I correct? Also, is there any distinguishing marks to tell the 8" housing apart form the 7"? I don't want to trust a junk yard giving me and already pulled one and saying "yeah it's out of a v6". Any help, or hints would be appreciated. Steve

YotaWhoopRunner

Re: toyota rear end ?\'s

I think i remember seeing an identification guide in the trd catalog. I don't have it with me, but if you pm me with your vin I can try to look it up when i get home.

Eric_M

all the toyota 4 speed manuel trans pick-ups have the 8" rear end, as well as the v6 toyota. ive got the 4 speed manuel trans and ive got an 8"

DPpatrol

look at the axle flange. 7"s have 2 little raised "dashes" in the center of the flange facing eachother. It kinda looks like this - -. 8"s have 4 raised dashes arranged in a plus pattern.
All V-6 have 8"s but the V6 is 3rd member is noticely bigger and stronger. Look at a 4cyl 8" and a V6 8" 3rd member and the difference in size is very noticeable. Also V6 ring and pinions gears are thinker and stronger.

A 8" rear end will bolt right into a truck that came with a 7". I did it to mine.

SpareChangeRacng

Thanks guys.
DP patrol, I noticed you said "All V-6 have 8"s but the V6 is 3rd member is noticely bigger and stronger." Was this a typo? Did you mean to say all trucks have the 8"? As I said before we got a new 3rd member out of a 4wd that has 4.56's, and want to use that on my brothers 2wd. I realise we could use the 4wd axle by just redrilling the axles, and welding on new spring pads, BUT we want this to be quick and easy (I know that's not that hard). Anyway, we bought my bros truck used, and after measuring the rear it looks like the 4wd 3rd member will bolt in. Now the 2nd part of the ? - do the 4wds have larger axles or diff. spline patterns, or should this thing work? Steve

YotaWhoopRunner

I'm not sure if the housing is the same for the 2wd, but an 8" v6 3rd member will drop right into the the 4 cyl housing of a 4wd. It's a pretty typical swap since the v6 3rd member is much stronger.

Eric_M

i thought the V6 and the 4 banger 4 speed stick rear end was the same thing? is it not?

farmboy

Eric, I don't think the four cylinder rear end and the 4 speed manual transmission your refering to have anything to do with each other. There are the narrower older housings, 85 and earlier and the newer wider ones, 86 and up. I belive on both versions the two wheel drive and four wheel drive are the same except for one is oversprung and one is undersprung. And I belive all third members from 1979 to 1994 are interchangable, V6 or four cylinder, doesn't matter.

on the housings, if you don't know what your looking at in a junkyard, the differential drain plug is on opposite sides of the pumpkin on the the two differnt versions. But I just can't remember which is which, i think the older narrower housings have the drain plug on the passenger side but don't quote me. Also i know that on the older housings the tubes from the diff to the flange are the same diameter all the way, but the newer housings tubes get bigger about halfway inbetween. hope this helps.

Boy, Farm

SpareChangeRacng

Thanks, that does help.
I guess the main question I am hoping someone can answer now is - do the 4wd and 2wd (whether v6 or 4 banger) all have the same axles? I was hoping someone would be able to tell me this, because it might help explain if I could put the 4wd 3rd member in my bro's 2wd 4 banger truck w/o a problem. Maybe I'll just have to get off my lazy butt, and take the thing apart to look. Steve

farmboy

Spare Change, yes it will go right in. The splines on the axles are the same.

Boy, Farm

ntsqd

The V6 and 4 cyl drop-outs are different and they use a different R&P, and diff carrier, but they will both bolt into the same housing. FWIW the TRD's electric locker will also bolt in, if you change a couple of the studs in the housing.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

DPpatrol

I meant to say all v6 trucks have an 8' rear end, but the v6 3rd member is larger and stronger than 4cyl 8" 3rd members.

DuffcoDan

the easy way to distinguish between the 7.5" R&P and the 8" R&P are the studs on the housing. when looking straight at the rear end flange the 8" housing studs are at 10 and 2 o'clock and the 7.5" housing is at 12 o'clock. when we do the gear swaps on the 2wd 8" third members most of the time we have to get a four wheel drive 3rd member to set up the gears properly. you don't want the 2wd 8" third member that has one extra long stud.

SpareChangeRacng

Once again you guys have proved why I love this site! There are so many people on here who have experience w/ just about everything, that my ?'s always get answered. Thanks for all the help. I'm sure my brother's 4 banger will be much happier spinnin the 33's w/ some real gears (4.56's) in there. Steve

ntsqd

4.56's ? Not sure about dez use, but 4.88's are usually what is needed to put the shift points & speedo back to stock. I can vouch for that personally. My '84 4x4 has 33's & 4.88's and the speedo's odo disagrees with the GPS trip odo less than 5 miles in a 500 mile drive.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell

4.88s in a toyota with the 4 cylinder and 33s is awesome. The only toyota I have ever driven had that...and I was impressed by the pickup it had.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

gary

the acceleration should be pretty nice, but howz about freeway speed rpm? i turn roughly 3300 rpm at about 70+ mph, with a 4 speed transmission, but i've got 4.10s turning 33's. i'm curious what the rpms will be if i go to 4.88s...i've been putting this off for awhile, just for this reason. my truck is a daily driver, so i can't throw away freeway driveabilty...anybody got numbers on this??

cleartoy

Im running 488s with 33s on my 2wd std\std. Freeway rpm is a bit high(i dont have a tach) but tollerable. I like it for the desert though and around town. I rarely use the freeway unless im goin to the desert or something.

My old 85 had 529s and 33s and it was NOT tollerable on the freeway!~

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??