toyota ring and pinion

Custom_Yota

has anyone instaled their own ring and pinion in their toyota? its an 89 2wd p/u and the rear end is a 7.5, it is for off road use only so it does it have to perfect or is it something that i can do on my own with a good set of calipers? also the gear ratio is 5.29 with 33's if that matters

JasonHutter

I would have someone do it for you, unless you have a lot of experience. Off-road use or not, the ring and pinion still do the same thing and can wear and break teeth off if it is not right. We used a 7.5 Toyota rear end out of an 81 2wd with a lock right in it for about 2 and a half years racing. The lock right finally let go at Laughlin one year and we made a lincoln locker out of it to race on Sunday and replaced it with a Ford 9". The Toyota rear end held up like a champ though. We beat the hell out of it with no bracing on it. I should mention that we had 4.56 gearing in it. With the 5.29s, your pinion gear may be pretty weak.

Jason

Eric_M

if you install it your self, im pretty sure that you have to use a complicated set of spaceres to get the ring and pinion to line up perfectly, other wise the teeth will hit in the wrong spot and break prematurly. but all i know is that the spaceres are a pain, every little thousants of an inch counts. hope this gave you a little more info on it.

sand is for people who lack the skills navigate objects

cleartoy

Have a shop do it. Yeah its money($207 last week) but you only have to pay once.

I just did 488s with 33s on my 94 and a Lock Right and its good.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

cleartoy

Heres a breakdown of my rearend...

488 Gears: $160.

Lock Right: $ 252.

Master INstall kit: $120.

Labor to install above parts on my rearend(removed from vehicle and dropped off at shop): $207.

I hope i didnt misslead anyone into thinking they could do a gear locker swap for $207. No way.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??