Toyota steering

The_Hulk

Reaction
I'm in the process of setting up a custom steering system for my 88 Toyota 2wd. I'm thinking of running 1"- 1 1/4" 4130 tubing and then using heims instead of the balljoints. I was also thinking of getting rid of the steering dampner. Will this be a good setup? What size/kind of heims should I use? Thanks...

Tyson

Reaction
Hey I also want to do this heimed steering. Take alot of pictures and post em up here as you do it.

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I need to upgrade as well. Deciding upon Greg's slider setup, swingset, or somthing like Total Chaos. Soon as my budget allows. Geting rid of the idler arm is my main goal. Stay tuned?

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

Tyson

Reaction
Hey Pat I am unfamiliar with that set up, can you explain it? Or is it one of things that you either know or you don't?

JasonHutter

Reaction
We are going right now to take the pictures of our race trucks steering set-up, check back in a couple of hours for the pictures of what we have. Our steering is exactly what you are talking about.

Jason

Tyson

Reaction
Hey JAson don't forget about the pictures of your firewall mods, I'm gonna be doing that soon. Thanks

JasonHutter

Reaction
Here is a pic of the drivers spindle and tie rod end. The tie rod ends are double shear on the spindle.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
Here is a pic of the steering box, where the tie rod connects to the center link and the pitman arm. The power steering is off a '94 4x4. Got it from an auto dismantler in Cali for about $300.00.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
A close up of the pitman arm.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
Pass. side spindle, tie rod end, and the end of the idler arm to the center link.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
The idler arm, the centerlink connections for tie rod and idler arm. We also run a steering stabilizer, you can see it in the background.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
The race truck and chase truck. We (myself and Paul "firedog") will be in the blue truck in San Felipe. We are staying in a house off zoo rd. and will be in Petes Camp hanging out.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
Boarded (Paul went skiing) 12" of fresh powder this morning, leaving Tues. night for San Felipe. Here is a pic of Snowmass.

Attachments

JasonHutter

Reaction
Check the fenderwell thread for those pics.

JasonHutter

Reaction
It's not to condusive to testing the race truck in!

ntsqd

Reaction
Small addendum; that would be the IFS PS box, the LA box, PS or not, is considerably different.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

JasonHutter

Reaction
The steering was built by ATS, and the steering knuckles/spindles were beafed up by our sponsors in Grand Junction, Colorado, AOR (Advanced Off-Road Research). www.atsracing.biz www.aor4x4.com

Jason