• Forum membership has its advantages....

Toyota Tacoma lift for around $2000 installed?

sirhk100

I gotta question for all you Toyota people out there. This girl I know has a late '90s Tacoma and wants to lift it. She doesn't want it huge or anything. It's sitting on 31"s right now and they are stuffed in there pretty tight. She just wants something to lift it up to allow for clearance of the tires and make it look good. BTW it's 4WD. She does offroad it quite a bit. Nothing insane like jumping or anything but for those of you familiar with Ocotillo, it's not uncommon for her to bomb around the roads out there. I've ridden with her out to Gas Domes doing about 40MPH the whole way and it hit HARD a couple times. She doesn't need anything exotic but does need something a little more in depth then a normal lift kit. She wants to stay around $2000 installed. Is there anything decent out there in that price range? What about for around $3000? How much better will that extra $1000 work for her? I'm pretty sure she wants to stay on 31"s. Does anyone make a good performing system with only like 2"-3" of lift?

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

Mike_HKmtrsprts

sway away makes that coilover kit for that truck its around $650 and it will lift it up to 3" I dont know how much stiffer the shock is compared to the stock one but for the price you cant beat it. Maybe someone with that shock can put a little info in than I can.

sirhk100

Yeah, I'd seen that. Does anyone know if that's just a unbolt the old spring/shock and bolt the new one in. Then get it aligned? If so that seems like a SWEET deal. Leaves her a ton of money for the rear!! And anything else she wants.

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

havahockey

Flipper
What year exactly is her tacoma? Is it the 95.5- present? If so there are a lot of lifts you can get for well under $2000. If it 95+ then definatly go with the SawAway coilover (yes they just bolt into the stock locations), for $650 you are getting an awesome setup over stock. They are adjustable from 0-3.5" but since she is 2WD she'll have to limit it to 2" of lift. I ran them before I got long travel and they can take a lot of punishment. There are a couple coilover kits you can get for tacomas, Swayaway, Fabtech (uses FOX Shock), Skyjacker is coming out with one (uses KINGS but way over pirced), and Downey make them. But for the money, you can't beat the SAW.

If she is just looking for lift to clear a 32" tire, then she can get Cornbred spacers, they are about $120

sirhk100

Did you mean to write "because hers is 4WD she has to limit it to 2" ?" Hers is 4WD. I know nothing about Toyotas. I do know hers is a '95 , I'm guessing it's like a '98. She's definately looking for something with some better performance over stock cause she does abuse it pretty good. What's a good setup in the rear to compliment those SAW up front? I'm not sure if she got the TRD package with the Bilsteins but I was thinking a set of Nationals or Deavers ( $500-$600) with some 5100 or 7100 series Bilsteins ($120-$300) in the rear would do nice. Are my prices close? What would a shop charge her to install those front SAW? Under $1000 out the door aligned with parts for the front? If so figure she should be able to do front and rear for around $2000? How do you guys think that truck would do?

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by sirhk100 on 12/06/01 12:26 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Tim

Staying with what Havahockey posted. I have the SAW's in the front right now on my taco prerunner. I love them. With 4wd he's right she will have to stay at about 2-2.5 inches of lift do to the cv joint angles getting too extreme with any more lift. I love my truck and the front is really plush, disconnecting the sway bar really helped me too. The SAW's are plenty stiff, but if she wants to go really stiff I believe, someone may want to correct me, the tundra ones have a stiffer spring weight and valving. They work for tacos as well. btw the normal taco ones springs are 650lbs I believe.
Right now I have the trd bilstiens in the back and they are way to stiff, the back end kicks up on me when I hit a bump, deaver makes a prerunner and race pack for our trucks that works well. Ask Havahockey about his shock hoop, (doesn't break through the bed, but I here it works good). It seems like the way to go. I might just throw on some softer shocks for now to keep my back end from being so harsh. SAW big bores? Tim
P.S. dont let anybody charge you to install the SAW's. It took me about an hour and a half to do both sides on my truck.(most of that was playing with and deciding what height I wanted) All you need is some sockets and you take out the old and put in the new, and then crank them to desired height with a spring spanner wrench.

Attachments

sirhk100

Well I guess I could be a good friend and do it for her. Sounds fairly easy. No special tools needed? Just jack it up, yank of the wheel, take out the stock stuff, bult in the SAW and adjust the ride height? You had to get it aligned afterwards, right? Hmmm, I see a free dinner and some beer. She's cute but she's also just a friend so I'll settle for that as payment. anyone know the difference between the prerunner leaf pack and race pack?

Lets hear more about this under the bed cage!!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

sirhk100

How's this for the front and rear? What do you think the rear consists of shock wise? How's the price, this is from ORW's webpage.

Fabtech 95.5-2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD and 'Prerunner 2WD' 0"-3.5"Coil-over System

'95.5-2001 Toyota Tacoma 2WD 'Pre-Runner' and 4WD Tacoma
Here's the adjustable coil-over system with shocks made by Sway-Away to lift the front of your Tacoma 'Pre-Runner' or 4WD anywhere from 0" up to 3.5" with the turn of a wrench.Kit comes complete with coils,height adjustable shocks,softride add-a-leaf kit & rear performance shocks.

Khris

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

84toy

This is from an older post:

prerunner pack- we take your main leaf and build a the rest of the pack with our plate. this gets you a mild increase in travel, and a much better, more progressive ride.

race pack- we build you a set of 62" springs. you get a lot of travel out of these suckers. they can get up to 22" of travel, with a trick setup, but the norm is 16-19. for these you need to fab up a new front mount, rear mount, a longer shackle, and shock mounts.

Jason

sirhk100

Thanks for the info on the leafs!!

I looked at Camburg's page and they've got the SAW for $675, Deaver (prerunner packs I'm assuming) for $400, and then put a set of 5100 Bilsteins ($120/pair) on the rear with those leafs. That's about $1300 and then we'd install it. Does that sound like a setup that would perform nice in the dirt for mild prerunning? It sounds better then that add I posted above!!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

John Bitting

Administrator
I just bought the Sway Away kit from Camburg for a friend and he loves it.. hey waldo I heard it has tons of dampenennineing too :)

sirhk100

LOL!!!!!

Thanks for the imput John

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

John Bitting

Administrator
Oh yeah and as a general rule of thumb a race pack will be a lot stiffer then a prerunner pack because it is setup for you to run a big fuel cell and dual spares commonly found on race trucks.

EQuin

Hi Khris,

The last setup you mentioned (SAWs up front and Deaver prerunner pack with 5100 series Bils) sounds like a good setup for what your friend wants. Your price estimate also sounds about right. I believe Camburg sells everything you mentioned for close to that price. If she's a member of Toyota Tacoma Off Roaders Association (TTORA), then Camburg will provide her a discount on the SAWs for a price of about $625, I believe. However, I don't know if that price also includes the spanner wrench needed to adjust the ride height. Like the others said before, she should not adjust the front height any more than 2" to 2.5" inches with the SAW coil-overs with 4WD because the CV axles and boots will be placed at an increased angle, thereby potentially risking excess wear and tear on them.

Install is relatively easy. The toughest part is lining up the bottom shock eye with the lower shock mount bolt. A long, but strong screwdriver placed between the lower shock mount hole and the bottom shock eyelet should help line it all up, though.

For what it's worth, I have the front Downey coil-overs ($699 from Downey) set at 2 3/8" ride height over stock and a rear add-a-leaf for a Jeep Cherokee that provided almost 2" ride height over stock. I used 5100 series Bilsteins for a 75-83 FJ-40 Landcruiser, which are about 1" to 2" longer than stock length shocks. I believe Bilstein now has an application specifically for Tacomas with adjusted rear ride height, but I don't know the part numbers. You might want to call Shane, the sales tech at Bilstein's San Diego office, for the part numbers. The phone number should be at Bilstein's website - www.bilstein.com . Also, you will need to replace the bushings on the rear 5100 Bils to universal, hour-glass shaped, 3/4" I.D. bushings. Energy Suspension makes replacement bushings that are sold at most 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers for about $8 or $9 for a set of four. The Energy Suspension bushing part number is 9.8108.

Lastly, tell your friend to check out the Tacoma message board at www.tacomaterritory.com . Lots of excellent posts from guys like Kevin, Jordan, Havahockey and many others on SAW, Downey, and Fabtech coil-overs, as well as the Deaver prerunner packs and Havahockey's custom shock mounts (with pics) for the rear 7100 series Bils (not to mention his and Jordan's long travel setups).

Hope this helps. Take care,

Ed Q.

Waldo

Safehouse
Hey John, does it have good rebouncing on it? I hear that the harder the rebouncing the faster you can travel over hoop-da-darns!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Jack

The plan you listed from Camberg sounds good, but I would change one thing, instead of the 5100's I would use 7100's for about $100 ea. or even W/resevoir for about $150 ea. she will be much happyer.

sirhk100

What's the advantage of the 7100 over the 5100? Can you describe technically what the advantage is and maybe even a little description of performance differences in differnet situations? Do they just stay cooler and not fade as fast? I just picked up a set of 5100 for my Explorer off a guy that put about 800 miles on them for $55 shipped to my house. Basically brand new. I should get them next week.

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

havahockey

Flipper
Lets see if i can post on everything thats been said,

Right now I'm running the Deaver Racepack that you saw on Camburg along with 7100's. I had those in conjuction with my SAW coilovers and it works really great. SHe will really be suprised at how much of a increase in performance the SAW's will give her. As for valving, the Tundra SAW's are exactly the same shock, the only difference is a stiffer spring and valving. It can bolt right into a Tacoma. I know a lot of people that use the Tundra ones instead and they are happy with them.

Like someoen said in an earlier post, you can install the SAW's your self in about an hour. Real easy to do. Just make sure you disconnect your swaybar to make it a little easier, and have a friend with you to push down the bottom a-arm to make it easier to get the bottom bolt in.

As for rear shocks, she won't have to spend the extra $ for 7100's, the 5100's will do just fine. Again I know a lot of people who use those on their Tacoma and like them. I believe 5100's are around $60-70, while 7100's average $130 w/o resivour, or $170 with a res. Both can bolt right into the stock location, you just need to buy new bushings (Energy Suspenion has them).

SAW Coilovers - 675
Deaver Leafpack - 400
5100's (2) - 140
or 7100's (2) - 330

Can be installed by yourself so it will run you about $1400 with 5100's or $1600 after taxes. She won't be disapointed with that setup. Slap some 32x11.5x15 (may want to get fiberglass though) on there and she'll be hitting Devils Slide in no time :)

Attachments

sirhk100

Yeah, you described the exact setup that she's probably going to do. I talked with her last night and she said $1500 is no problem. I'll install it for her if I can talk one of our slacker friends into helping out. That'll leave her another $500 to blow on whatever, fiberglass, stereo, etc.... I'm afraid that she's going to do this soon and will have the best truck outta the whole group at least till mine's ready in about 4-5 months.

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

havahockey

Flipper
Sounds good, when you do buy the SAW's, make sure you get them with the schrader valved recessed (sp?) in the shock. If you see the picture I attached in my last post you can see the schrader valved sticks out, which was getting hit by some tacoma's calipers, so swayaway fixed the problem by recessing it into the shock.

Thats why I like Swayaway so much, if you have a problem with your shocks they fix it, I've had bad experiances with another shock companys so its nice to have Swayaway in the picture.

Is she gonna get 5100 or 7100's?

98 Tacoma Prerunner, Camburg Long Travel Kit, Deavers, 7100's, blah blah..