toyota temperature

drtdevil93

my trucks been running at around 210-220 F under racing conditions, is this too hot? its a toyota 22re mildly built. i have a heavy duty radiator, 16" electric fan (2800 cfm i think), a high output water pump. i added an oil cooler, but it didnt seem to change the temp much at all. am i worrying about nothing, or is that too hot?

erik

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Sounds fine. How hot does it get in a sand wash? Worry about it when it hits over 250

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

farmboy

250 is a little high, 22's have been known to blow head gaskets when they run warm. i know they are supposed to run 195 stock, and i had a little problem with heating up when pulling high R's for extended ammounts of time but i solved that by swaping in a brand new V6 radiator. after that no problem, i can run 160 when the ambient air is 200.

Boy, Farm

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Where do you find 200 degree ambient air? Oven?

Kris

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I have the stock guage in mine, with a 180 / 185 stat (I think) Stock is 195. I do not think your too far off if those are the temps you run when you are pushing it at this time of year. My $.02

Duct tape is like the Force.It has a light side and a dark side,and it holds the universe together.

ntsqd

I wouldn't worry about 210-220. I'd worry about at 230+.
If the oil cooler didn't affect the temp much it makes me wonder about which type of cooler you have, and how good the airflow thru it is. The general thermal model of an IC engine is that 1/3 of the total heat produced makes it to the trans, 1/3 is lost thru the radiator, and 1/3 is lost thru the oil, engine surfaces (radiant), and the exhaust. If adding an oil cooler didn't help, I'd look for a better place for the cooler and/or a better cooler.

One hot 2.0L EAO I had would set you back in the seat at 160*, but got lousy mileage there. By the time it got to 180*-190* it had lost about 15% of the 160* HP, but it got 27 mpg on the hiway. Always wished for a 'switch-pitch' t-stat in that thing.....
Point is, you may find some HP by getting it to run cooler. Just keep in mind that much below 175* will shorten the engine's lifespan.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

ntsqd

Engine clearences are designed with heat expansion in mind. Unless the engine was clearenced to run at lower temps (ala an alcohol fueled engine), it will wear faster because the clearences are too tight or loose depending on what it is.

TS

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I agree.

Kris

partybarge_pilot

Temp usually dosen't have that great of effect on the head gasket. 22r's blow cuase the stock head bolts suck. The ghetto fab trick is to drill and tap the block to 1/2-20 and replace the stock bolts with allen bolts tourqed to 105 ftlb's. Cost, about 20 bucks and there the same strenght as ARP 190,000 psi bolts. The cam towers should be reamed out with a 33/64 drill. I had the best luck with the fel-pro's.

ntsqd

The std. for SHCS' is 180 ksi. The only bolts I know of that are garrunteed (sp ?) to be 190 ksi are made by Holo-Krome. If they don't have the H-K stamping on the side of the head I'd treat them as 180 ksi bolts.

"...and there the same strenght as ARP 190,000 psi bolts."

TS

partybarge_pilot

Same strenght as the smaller metric ones that are made for the motor. 180 ksi is correct. 12mm 190ksi bolt = 17,500 clamping force @ 109 ftlb . A 1/2-20 180ksi @ 120ftlb = about 20,000.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
oh maaan, i wish i would of known about your ghetto fab trick before my POS blew up!