• Forum membership has its advantages....

Toyota will sell diesel hybrids trucks in CA

BajaFand

Too bad Toyota never followed through with their 1 ton twin turbo Hino I6 pickup. They had a concept of it at SEMA a few years ago and it was a monster of a truck but they stopped the project when the economy went downhill.

Racerinside

Yeah, good luck with that. Toyota has had diesels in the rest of the world for years and has never imported them.
This diesel was designed for the NorthAmerican market and will debut in California in september. I think the possibility of Toyota using this engine in their trucks is better than any diesel engine toyota has produced before.

bajafox

Accepted
Too bad Toyota never followed through with their 1 ton twin turbo Hino I6 pickup. They had a concept of it at SEMA a few years ago and it was a monster of a truck but they stopped the project when the economy went downhill.
That thing had awesome written all over it. I think the I6 was built with CAT?

That thing had awesome written all over it. I think the I6 was built with CAT?

I saw that thing in 2008 parked on a trailer, oddly enough at the back entrance to HONDA's headquarters in Torrance. It's funny because Toyota has a building a few miles away from where it was. They should have brought it into production.

blue dog

Hino diesels are well proven engines, Basically a medium duty engine, can expect lots trouble free miles out of them.

JPBart

Hopefully it will be easier to get parts for now than it was 10 years ago. I'm sure if Toyota is distributing parts it will be flawless but Hino and Isuzu engine parts used to be a nightmare to get.

BSchlimme

Yeah, good luck with that. Toyota has had diesels in the rest of the world for years and has never imported them.
I realize that many of you are way to young to remember when Toyota imported diesels, so this comment might confuse those that purchased a Camry, Hilux or Corolla in the past and have to put diesel in it. :)

So tell me how many of you would pay $8-10K for a 1/2-ton diesel? How about $5-8k for a diesel compact PU?

The future regulations will mandate diesels have same level of emissions as gasoline making the cost to comply, at this stage of technology, very expensive.

michael_loomis

Hino is part of the "Toyota Group"... not sure if they always were or if this is recent though.

partybarge_pilot

I realize that many of you are way to young to remember when Toyota imported diesels, so this comment might confuse those that purchased a Camry, Hilux or Corolla in the past and have to put diesel in it. :)
Actually, I had an 84 diesel Toyota truck....... It's just that with the amount of hoops that they would have to jump through to get those motors past carb today, the sales numbers would probably not justify it.