Toyota wont rev when warm?

curt

Reaction
One of the guys in our class is running a stock 22re with a header...Truck runs fine when cold but has no power and won't rev past 4-4500 when at normal operating temperature. Can't figure this one out...

Changed:
Fuel Filter
Plugs/Cap/Rotor

Checked:
Fuel pressure 38-43#
pinched vac line on fuel reg 47#
Throttle Positioning Switch-OK
Compression +/- 150#
Leakdown 10-20%
EGR Valve- Was leaking, replaced valve and resealed
Couldn't find any vacuum leaks

I'm going to email him the voltage checks for the ECU and Mass Air Flow Sensor but other than that I have no idea what else to start looking at...Any suggestions?

Thanks, Curt

VORRA Class 7

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Perhaps the motor is not coming out of the warm up cycle. does sound like it is struggling at that rpm or does it just sit there smoothly?

"Everything you do is triggered by an emotion of either desire or fear."

cleartoy

Reaction
Maybe the timing is off.

I assume your not running a cat. IF you were id say it could be plugged.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

tedmales

Reaction
if it was a chevy it could be that when the engine goes into closed loop it is bugging out, but i am not sure about the toys efi system. i could be that some of the electronics are getting hot, maybe a can of freeze spray on the coil, ignitor might help.

life is too short to be small

orvacian

Reaction
I put my money on the knock sensor (I think the 22re has one, right?), it's probably gone bad. A broken or disconnected knock sensor will fully retard the timing at the upper rpm's and make the engine do what you are describing. I just fixed this problem on my Supra. My knock sensor was physically busted and the plug was just hanging there. The engine didn't wanna rev past 4k. It's possible that your engine IS knocking too, but you would probably be able to hear that.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 04/23/03 01:34 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Aaron thats exactly what happened to Dan's truck.

Go Big Or Go Home

dunerking

Reaction
I'm going to shoot in the dark but maybe try a O2 sensor(There are two on the exhaust).Maybe one or both of the sensors have gone bad,but there are expensive from Toyota at 150.00 each.This may be a waste of time if both have been removed.

hit it hard

curt

Reaction
OK, update:
It's an 85 computer which apparently has much less options hooked up than later models...
No knock sensor
No cat and the muffler was replaced yesterday on a whim
The timing was at 32deg with race gas but when the problem developed was moved back to 5deg
Only has 1 O2 sensor
He's borrowing a coil to check it out
Going to check out the MAF sensor
Going to re-hook up the check engine light(If possible) to see if there's any trouble codes

I'm still betting on timing or fuel, they make the most sense.

Keep the suggestions coming...Thx, Curt

VORRA Class 7

drtdevil93

Reaction
there is a water temp sensor on the front of the intake manifold that is one of the toyotas main controls for air-fuel tuning when in open loop. another possibility is cam timing is off, where the chain just gets a little slack, and the cam slips a couple gears. i had this happen to me while driving about a year ago. motor lost a lot of power and the idle was really bad.

erik

curt

Reaction
OK, problem solved.....Fuel filters on the fuel pump and the block were both plugged with foam, why it only affected it when hot. I don't have any idea why except maybe when the cold start injector cuts off it loses the extra fuel. I never heard of the foam problem before a week or 2 ago seems to be a PITA and only a fairly recent problem. Thanks for all the suggestions. Curt

VORRA Class 7