toyotoa forum?

sirhk100

Reaction
Is there a good forum for the older pre-Tacoma pickups? I'm picking up a stripped one Friday that's gonna need a LOT of work and I've already got questions....

Thanks

Khris

ntsqd

Reaction
Didn't know about the Florida bbs.

Don't know about any possible bbs, but the ORC yota list was just about dead the last I was involved. Same is true of the 4x4wire list, but their bbs is far more active. Not much in the way of dez racer types there though, mostly krawlerswith some mud tossed in.

The POoR bbs is mostly a bunch of flaming assholes, both literally and figuratively. I don't go there unless it's absolutely necessary.

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Oh come on, Pirate4x4.com is hilarious. You just have to have the right attitude and flame everyone back that flames you. For older yotas, you can't beat all the published threads, tech articles and the wealth of knowledge that board has regarding Yotas.

sirhk100

Reaction
Yup, that was me you talked to...

I'm not really looking for info on the fab end of the truck... More on info for stock stuff like where I can find the Vin#, what years and models the factory 4.88 gears were in, if there's a better front diff in one year then another that I should be looking for, etc....?

Khris

Dillon

Reaction
YotaTech

Alsmost everybody on this board has an older 4Runner/pickup, some newers trucks too, but its mostly pre-Tacoma.

sirhk100

Reaction
Dillon, thanks a ton... That one looks like it's used pretty often and seems to have some people in it...

Khris

orvacian

Reaction
off-road.com has a archive of toyota stuff that has all the stuff you mentioned. The ADD front diff is the one you want because the output shafts have bearings that were designed to be spinning all the time. The non-ADD diff has bushings that will wear out quicker. I can show you a easy way to bypass the ADD in the diff with a hose clamp but you must have manual hubs to do it. The metal sign on the top of the firewall under the hood tells you your gear ratio, transmission type, paint code etc.... I would also say the chain driven transfer case is the one you want for driving at high speed in 4wd because it has some kind of clutch pack in it from what I heard. I run mine in 4wd at full speed in the dirt for hours and have never had a problem. It is not as strong for rock crawling but I doubt you will be doing any of that anyway. Oh, and 4.88 only came in trucks with 4cyl and factory 31" tire option so that makes it a little rare. You are better off with the v6 truck because of the stronger 4 pinion diff carrier, stronger diff housing, and bigger brakes i think too.