• Forum membership has its advantages....

Trackside Photo website closed down

TRichards

So for all of us Vintage off road obsessives, Trackside Photo, I guess is done. Anybody specifically know what happened? It was my main library for searching out old race cars from back in the day. Maybe we get a fund together to keep the site up. I don't know. Pretty bummed.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
"TRACKSIDE PHOTO
1 hr ·
Trackside Photo no longer covers off-road races. Our website is no longer offering images for viewing. If you need assistance with images of a race that has occurred in the last 45 years, please call our office direct at (805) 578-3470"

TRACKSIDE PHOTO

It's sad to see this asset pass into obscurity.

Is Jim Ober well?

TRichards

I don't know him. Keeping the site up costs money. i understand that, but it is a resource that doesn't exist anywhere else.

TRichards

Same with C &C race photos. When Carlos Avina passed, I think Art Eugenio got all the photos and rights to that collection.

oldschool5er

I knew Jim was ending anything new, but did not expect the whole site to go down. I had been buying up all of the photos of my cars and I am glad I did it as I never took many photos myself so Trackside provided a service so at least my grandkids can see them. I think this is too valuble of a resource to see disapear.... after all it was all of our offroad racing history and the best photo resource I ever knew of. I think trying to get funding to purchase or at least bring it back up would absolutly be what needs to be done. It is all just too historical to let go. I am not sure of Jim's status somebody must know. I would be supporting that endeavor if it is possible.

harleys dad

Jim has been around my entire 41 years in this sport and I really enjoyed going back in time to my teenage years to look at old friends many many that are no longer with us. Its only a matter of time before age catches up. Really sad its no longer available. I lent Jim old old programs from the 70s and early 80s so he could post more races and have the honer of my old class 11 photo from the 70s is on his facebook site. Jim was nearly everywhere, hope he is well

TRichards

So here is the deal. I spoke to Jim today. It is a money deal. He doesn't make enough on old pictures to keep the site up. He said he has to pay it up front for the year and I guess he is content to just get requests thru face book and email out proofs as needed. For us that do research, that doesn't work well as i could literally spend hours going thru races and years to find pictures to help with a project whether for myself or a customer. I know what it costs for him, i don't think it would be real good to put it out there publicly but i think if we got 10 to 15 people together we could have it up. I would be willing to cover the first 150.00 since i use it as a tool.
Just a thought....

Rory

Crayola Killer
How about we do a $20 buy in for the year? This way you dont have to pay the entire $150 and we will split it up. I'm in for $20. Maybe we can also get Jim to update 1 race a month if we do that. Just an idea......

BajaJT

Let know, was planning to buy some of my old photos just did not get around to it, now two late is there andother way to contact Trackside besides Facebook, I dont use it?

Bro_Gill

How about we do a $20 buy in for the year? This way you dont have to pay the entire $150 and we will split it up. I'm in for $20. Maybe we can also get Jim to update 1 race a month if we do that. Just an idea......
Rory- I think he meant that we would need 10-15 people to EACH put in 150 bucks to make this happen. That's why I want to know what that gets us? 1 year or forever? I know the stuff is for sale, don't know the actual price for the whole shebang, but I believe it is much more than 1500 bucks.

La Tijereta

Sometimes we just want to close our eyes and rest..
Great memories out there in Baja with Jim and his "crew"..

2006.Laughlin.Ober_21x.jpg

Darinn

I wonder if Jim would go for archiving the old photos on a site that is cheaper to keep up rather than a full e-commerce site? My Sandmasterracing site costs next to nothing. It would be a few more steps for someone that wants a print of a picture (they would have to call Jim with the number of the image) but I'm guessing that most people are using it for reference anyway and that calling Jim to order a print would not be a deal breaker. This way this resource remains available , everyone can still research a car from years past, and Jim potentially gets the same number of orders for prints of old pictures. Possibly a win win?

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today