Trailer/Equipment Security and Tracking

Dirtman

Reaction
Looking to improve security for race vehicles and support equipment. We've all seen the stories of entire trailers and vehicles taken and I wanna be ready to track the fools and get stuff back rather than get a portion back through insurance.

I have google searched and found there are lots of options out there for GPS trackers for use on trailers, trucks, etc. typically designed for truck fleets. Not so much for just recreation equipment. So before I spend hours trying to figure out which system might be the best fit I thought I would ask for some experience/expertise out in the RDC family. Ideally a system would have GPS tracking with ability to set up Geo fence if something is moved unexpectedly. But maybe even a motion or door alarm would be good too to prevent just looting the trailer or chase truck. Something small and inconspicuous to deter quick disabling. I know the baja cellular system isn't great and is spotty but still should work in many areas. A satellite based system would help in this case but extra cost may/may not be justified. The right system could work on enclosed trailers, open trailers, tow vehicles, etc.

Anybody with experiences good or bad?

johndjmix

Reaction
We (Wild Power Sports) are working on a system to do EXACTLY this. We have gone through 3 prototypes so far and are making progress. Expect to have final version ready by end of this year. Like all of our stuff, we wont release it until it works perfectly, and works for us...for what we all do . We were testing it at KOH last year, worked great.

I can't give out too many details of how it works, etc.....but i can tell you this, its made SPECIFICALLY to address theft issues from vehicles and parts on your truck/trailer in Baja.

--John

Vista Racing

Reaction
I have a customer who purchased this for a high end restoration vehicle... Trak4 It has tracking and geo-fencing capabilities.

He's been happy so far but no one has tried to steal the rig.

paranoid56

Reaction
I use the spot trace, about 100 bucks for the unit and around 100 bucks a year for hte service. Can setup a geo fence to alert you of any movement, and it alerts you daily that its all OK

Dirtman

Reaction
The Trak4 looks like a good solution when in cellular service. The Spot Trace has the advantage of being Satellite based so even when out of cellular service it would still ping satellite, good in Baja. Both are nice and compact so can be hidden to prevent quick disabling. Maybe one of these in combination with just a super cheap door alarm and siren from Amazon.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
My boss is the best trailer security ever...

Good times from 7 years ago when our vendor set up got jacked and we caught the peeps.

Fifty

Reaction
As a med retired fifty, that story makes me happy.

johndjmix

Reaction
I wish i could give aay more about our system, but i can tell you its made for us, for what we all do, and will have all those features we all need.

Unlike the other systems out there, our system will also protect the stuff sitting on your trailer, and the parts on the race truck....not just track and alert if someone moves it. In Mexico, they usally steal parts and dont move the entire setup....

Made by dezert guys for dezert guys.

--John

Waitin4dv

Reaction
I wish i could give aay more about our system, but i can tell you its made for us, for what we all do, and will have all those features we all need.

Unlike the other systems out there, our system will also protect the stuff sitting on your trailer, and the parts on the race truck....not just track and alert if someone moves it. In Mexico, they usally steal parts and dont move the entire setup....

Made by dezert guys for dezert guys.

--John
I thought about setting up to where if you touch your truck you get shocked.

johndjmix

Reaction
I thought about setting up to where if you touch your truck you get shocked.
Not hard to do, but that might piss them off enough to set your stuff on fire or do damage. Plus, that doesnt protect anything not metal on your trailer.

Our system will "draw an invisable line" around your stuff, and anyone that enters that area will send an alarm. We have been working on this for a year, its a lot more involved than you can imagine.

--John

Waitin4dv

Reaction
Not hard to do, but that might piss them off enough to set your stuff on fire or do damage. Plus, that doesnt protect anything not metal on your trailer.

Our system will "draw an invisable line" around your stuff, and anyone that enters that area will send an alarm. We have been working on this for a year, its a lot more involved than you can imagine.

--John
Sounds good I’ll be a customer