trailer Independent swing arm bagged

39ranger

Reaction
I have a little tent trailer that I want to convert from a solid torsion to a independent swing arm, using air bags (springs) and shocks.

I need assistance in designing the suspensions system. Here is what my original thoughts are. Swing arm pivots towards the front of the trailer and the axle welded to the other end of the swing arm and the bag in between.

The original axle was rated at 1500lbs so it is fairly light, however I have purchased axle/hubs rated at 3000lbs because I am going to add a little weight bigger tires and possibly carry a little boat on the top.

Thanks for your help.

existing set up.

Rough Idea of what I am thinking, just don't know how long to make the sing arms and where the best place to mount the air bag and shock.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Why?

If the box is only 86" long if I read your drawing correctly, take off the axle and tongue, turn it sideways and mount it to a real flatbed trailer. You can haul things and have a patio for your trailer.

39ranger

Reaction
I actually thought of removing the bed of my truck and replacing it with the tent trailer. But it would be just a little to wide. I want to do some exploration and want to get as much ground clearance as possible and when we finally land our base camp I can air down and not have to use a ladder to get in. Not so much for me but my wife and daughter (1year old).