Training ... The Mental and Physical Edge?

ryans

Reaction
I am curious to know what physical training racers do to prepare for a race. Has anyone taken Vision Therapy or used any other type of sensory enhancement techniques to improve driving skills? Do you have a specific regiment to keep yourself in "race" shape? Is there such a thing as "race" shape? Do you think training makes a difference? Why? (Inquiring minds...)

Brand new desert race fan... TOOMUCHFUN

Donahoe

Reaction
PS2 grand turismo, Run, Work upper body and lowerback Light weight only... Endurance... Oh and every chance you get Drive off-road to the trucks utmost abillity.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

Mark_Miller

Reaction
I have a program that involves doing a series of exercise cycles over a 6 week period, from very hard which includes workouts to failure at heart rates of 162 to 204+, to a rest cycle that might include 7 days of workouts with a heart rate in the 146-161 range. My program was originally designed by Randy Huntington, which will mean nothing to you, but he is a premier Olympic and Professional coach/trainer. It involves a lot of endurance cycling, weight training and interval training which I usually puke in the middle of. I spend about 2 hours a day following a very strict calendar of activity, I also do yoga once a week with Larry Ragland, Steve Hatch and Destry Abbbott(yoga isn't as easy as you think). I use several Kaiser machines which work well for what we do because they have air resistance both ways and we can do fast low impact weight training. I have a pretty good size gym at my house that I do all the weights and some of the stationary bicycle intervals at. Everything is based on heart rates and recovery training is also a very important element which is done in the water. I also try and ride 1 of several practice tracks I have on my motorcycle at least twice a week for an hour. You ask does it make a difference, well I know at Dakar this year it made a huge difference. I saw big men destroyed by fatigue. I know late in any race no one is better fit than I am, so mentally It matters a lot to me.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I haven't raced my 7 truck in almost two years now, but when I started 5 or 6 years ago I was still racing mountain bikes. I raced cross country and then downhill before I stopped racing altogether. Cross country mountain biking and especially racing helped alot in keeping my endurance up for desert racing. The bike is very demanding on all parts of the body. That is pretty much all the training I did except for driving the truck when I could.

And now that I have just started riding again I can tell how out of shape I am in right now... :) oh well.

Curtis

CoiloverKid

Reaction
I watch rally races over and over and study all the techniques and of COURSE GT3, and skating my halfpipe which will be at the KARTEK 400 at the wall! (dont ask how it's gonna get there)

Up and Down..

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
My new gym.

This is my new work out. It will kick your ass. 50-100Mi trips up and down rutted out single track. It also helps for reading terrain at speed.
I feel that surfing is by far one of the best workouts. Surf for 2.5-4 hours a day 4 days a week. When I raced the 1600 car my upper body got worked. Surfing is great for your upper body. As for heart rate it is awesome.
I also play roller and ice hockey 3 nights a week. This is great for your heart rate.
I like fun sports for my work out. I am not a go to the gym kind of guy. it is boring to me. Just find sports you really like and try your hardest when you are doing them. This will get you in shape.

Attachments

Donahoe

Reaction
Re: My new gym.

So is the Half Pipe Going to be open for anyone?

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

DougM

Reaction

Heres my fun way to keep in shape-

with a 2 yr old and a wife that works nights, I dont have alot of time to get to the gym or go mtn biking. I do skateboard here in San Diego. I've been skating since I was 8. Im now 31.
heres a pic of me last year my wife took at our local park.
One thing, it hurts more to fall as you get older.

The boards may have gotten smaller but its still a great sport

Attachments

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction

For a full body workout (aerobic) I would recommend swimming or my favorite (yet I don't do it as much as I need/want to) is riding motocross. Busting out a couple of 30 minute motos on a practice track kicks my @ss. I believe motox is ranked the number #1 "total body" aerobic workout sport there is.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Gabe Lara

Reaction

I hear you, Doug! They're opening a new city skatepark in South Pasadena, just around the corner from my casa. Beats driving to the Vans park......I've been skating since I was 9! Still a great workout.

Back to the subject............

I usually get anywhere between 75 to 150 miles a week on the road bike now. I have friends that get up to 400......... as much downhilling on the Foes as I can. I was racing ALL of the Big Bear races, but due to weekend work, and SCORE conflicts I've had to cut back a bit, so....

Preparation truly is the key like Mark Miller stated.
It also helps to read up on human physiology, and fully understand how your own body works. This way you can tailor your diet, and not only your workouts to what it needs.

If you are planning on the gym, and strength workouts, check out Arnold Schwartzennegers's (SP?) Bodybuilding Encyclopedia.
Its a great reference, and is well documented for particular muscle group exercises.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction

up and down.....ummmmmm..........more.........

i like to jump/drift

racer951

Reaction
Old but good thread, can't believe its the only one actually. Does anyone have any new training regiments specifically for racing (like what Mark described)? From what I feel after a few hours at Barstow I would imagine the best plan would incude cardio, core strengthening, stretching, and upper body stamina work. What works and just as importantly, what doesnt?

In another thread about nutrition while racing, Matt Scaroni mentioned taking Ginseng pills; others mentioned energy gels. I've noticed in a single seater especially how hard it is to run at 100% for sustained periods of time. It's easy to get caught in a lull and lose time and focus. I think a workout regimen separates the pros from the amatuers, especially in long races. It seems to be something that all but the most serious of racers ignore. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

ChuckH

Reaction
do some lifting and some biking for basic fitness, or what ever aerobic exercise you want ( like running) if your short on time just do power lifting moves, squat, bench, dead lift, dead lift is the single best overall body work out, it works every muscle in your body because there all used for stabilization.

The kind of training you really need is for improving reaction time, the best thing for that is racquetball, play at least twice a week for a month or two and you will feel the difference in your reaction time, its a good overall workout, i like lifting after i play.

there you made me tell my secrets, i hope your all happy now :D

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I would say that proper training unequivocally helps out when racing. Last year for example I rode the entire distance at Primm and wasn't even sore or tired when I got out of the car. What I've noticed most, is that I don't get as thirsty nor as tired in race and in the longer races that can pay big dividends.

As far as training goes, I do a lot of triathelons so I'm always on bike (75 - 100 miles a week) and running (25 miles a week) and when it gets warmer out, I swim almost every afternoon (about a mile a day). Thats in addition to my normal activities of surfing, playing basketball etc. I think like MM said, anything that gets the heart rate up is beneficial and make sure to vary your exercises (cardio, weights etc.) so that your full body gets a work out.

I encourage you guys to start training the month before a race and notice if you see a difference. If nothing else, you'll have gotten in shape!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
John_Bitting said:
jrSyko - Is it hard to train in Cashmere Versace sweatsuits??
Naw, they make you go faster although the Gucci bike seat isn't that comfortable! :)

SKISPEED

Reaction
Who in the heck has the time to work out in the morning -surf in the afternoon and bike blah blah blahh

what a joke you guys all sound like trust fund babies.

Some of us have to work 10 hours a day and then go home to honey do's .

and then work on prepping our car after the family is sleeping till midnight.
must be nice to not have to work for a living. Richie Rich

Guess I should approach a fittness club about sponsorship. or maybe Trim Spa baby
Gspeed

FUNNY the first race we ran the next morning I laid there in the motel room thinking I was paralyzed from the ears down. WOW. I dont have time to work out but we sure make sure everything is strapped down when where in the car. "spare tire and all"