trans cooling question

mpower

Reaction
ok for my 05 tacoma v6 auto i installed a rather large setrab cooler w/spal pusher fan and i never took the rad cooler out of the loop. before i installed all this ,the trans temps would get up toward 210*. after installing the setup my temps would never really go above 180*.

now last weekend i replaced my water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and rad cap. while doing this i decided to take out the radiator to flush it and then disconnected the trans lines connected to the radiator to take it out of the loop, as i felt that if the cooling system is running at 190* than it cant be helping the cooling of the trans fluis at all.

so i went up silverado canyon today and my trans temps are getting up to 200-210* just as if i had the oem cooling setup!wtf? after stopping it recovers down to 150* in a short amount of time .

should i put the stock rad/cooler back in line ? is it really that efficient?

another thought i had was that the oem rad/cooler adds a little bit of restriction in the system making the fluid flow at a better rate for a more efficient heat transfer. now with it removed the fluid may be flowing faster thereby not allowing an efficient heat transfer. am i thinking correctly?

what do you think?

Wild bill

Reaction
Without a picture I would guess that the oem cooler is pulling the trans temp from probably 220 down to the water temp approx. 190f. Then the setrab cooler would take the temp from 190 to 170. Without the oem, the setrab would be forced to cool 220f fluid instead of 190f fluid. That could explain the difference.

loufish

Reaction
The factory trans cooler in the radiator is located at the coolest part of the radiator, coolant entering the radiator at about 190-195 get's cooled down to about 160 before heading back to the engine.

Also it matters where the trans temp is measured, if you are getting your reading right at the return line coming back from the coolers it will be different then the readings at the pan...

You've done a nice little test, I'd put the factory cooler back in play...

mpower

Reaction
Without a picture I would guess that the oem cooler is
thanks guys

pulling the trans temp from probably 220 down to the water temp approx. 190f. Then the setrab cooler would take the temp from 190 to 170. Without the oem, the setrab would be forced to cool 220f fluid instead of 190f fluid. That could explain the difference.
didnt think about it that way i guess having the factory cooler inline is the best thing at the moment

The factory trans cooler in the radiator is located at the coolest part of the radiator, coolant entering the radiator at about 190-195 get's cooled down to about 160 before heading back to the engine.

Also it matters where the trans temp is measured, if you are getting your reading right at the return line coming back from the coolers it will be different then the readings at the pan...

You've done a nice little test, I'd put the factory cooler back in play...
the sending unit is located on the hot line coming out of the trans , it is always within 3-5 degrees of the 2 oem sensors in the pan

im definatly putting the stock cooler back in play . looking that upgrading the radiator to the pwr replacement wont do my trans much good.

do you think that another setrab cooler of the same size would take place of the oem intank one?

racer56

Reaction
You can get your new radiator with a built in oil cooler for the trans.

mpower

Reaction
when i called pwr they said it came w/o cooler and he didnt tell me there was an option to add one. plus i was thinking that taking the cooler out of the loop would help things so i guess ill call clint an talk to him about it again

thanks again guys

mebuildit

Reaction
C&R makes a nice radiator with coolers inside. or you could just run 2 Setrab's together to get your desired temp. I have a Saldana Bros radiator, and it's a really nice piece of work. I started using their stuff a while ago because we were having problems with Ron Davis radiators. So far no problem.

Hope this helps, it's just my .02¢

loufish

Reaction
You said in your first post that the trans never got over 180 degs, that's a pretty ideal max temp for a trans....:D

mpower

Reaction
C&R makes a nice radiator with coolers inside. or you could just run 2 Setrab's together to get your desired temp. I have a Saldana Bros radiator, and it's a really nice piece of work. I started using their stuff a while ago because we were having problems with Ron Davis radiators. So far no problem.

Hope this helps, it's just my .02¢
so what problems did you have with the RD rad? im looking at a custom rediator now instead of something that will bolt in and looking at all my options

You said in your first post that the trans never got over 180 degs, that's a pretty ideal max temp for a trans....:D

yeah never got over 180* but usually like to be at around 150-160*

just plumbed everything back to the way it was and everything is fine now . i just never would have thought that that little in rad cooler did so much.

i know fluid to fluid heat exchangers are the most efficient , but are they commonly used in offfroad racing ? i assume the extra water pumps , radiators and plumbing would make it not so deseriable , due to that fact that there is more to go wrong