Trans oil

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Any suggestions on oil wt., type or brand for the five speed manual transmission in a '93 2wd Toyota. It shifts fine on warm days but when it's cold it shifts like the synchro's are bad. Not sure what oil is in it now.

ntsqd

Use the weight in the owner's manual. Use synthetic. The 'G' series 5 speeds are notoriously weak and the synthetic appears to really make a difference in bearing life. I got some Torco from DeNunzio.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Thanks for the info I'll try that. Is there a better transmission that can easily be swaped in? What do Toy 7s or prerunner class trucks run?

drtdevil93

the way to go is to use a 6 cyl. trans, with a bellhousing from one of the turbo 22re's. the problem is trying to find that bellhousing. i tried to go that route, but ran out of time looking for the bellhousing, and put a stock one back in. my original was good as knew with 120,000 hard offroad miles. it only went out because i neglected a small gear oil leak, and it went empty. anaheim gear tells me they rarely have any problems with the stock unit.

erik

BIG_FAT_LOSER

I've beat the piss out of my 84 and only lost one transmission about 4 years ago (after about 200k-4 speed) swapped it for a five speed out of a celica ( all the yard had ) and have had zero problems so far. Only thing that plagues me is clutches, but I am too cheap to buy a good one so, I guess thats my fault.

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

DPpatrol

My toyota transmission fave is the turbo 22re transmission. It is at least as strong as the V6 transmission and has a lower first gear to help you get up and go.

jason