Trans: Single pass vs. Dual pass cooler

Baja Fool

RDC Crypto
I'm having Trans (e4OD) over heating problems (260+) and have a single pass enduro cooler and 4 quart over stock pan. It now holds 18 quarts of fluid (synthetic) and once it gets to 250 its seems to get real hot real fast.

Any one have experience in replacing their single pass cooler with a dual pass cooler?
Would leaving the O/D off and leaving it in drive help the temp issue?
What temps should I expect?

I'm at a loss.:mad:

Wild bill

RDC Crypto
260F is not uncommon in deep silt. If it that hot while running on flat smooth road, you have a problem. Is it getting hot in high gear, 2nd, 3rd?

EQuin

RDC Crypto
I don't know if this will help your situation, but what I did with my 93 Bronco junkyard E4OD (after the original was ruined from overheating) was bypass the factory, in-radiator cooler and install two auxiliary trans coolers and an external, in-line filter. It's mostly driven on street with an occasional, easy off-road jaunt, but so far so good, knock on wood.

I went with one stacked plate auxiliary cooler and a tube and fin cooler. I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that stacked plate coolers are somewhat restrictive with flow, which can be just as dangerous as overheating, so rather than go with two stacked plates, I only went with one, hoping that the tube and fin cooler would allow additional cooling without restricting the flow too much. Personally, I think it would be better to go with the big, 1.5" thick coolers with an electric fan, but those were out of my price range.

Also, I heard that a regular, cartridge type filter is too restrictive. The kind that Ford uses in their TSB is a magnefine:

www.magnefine.com

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fulltext/show_article.php?tsb=00-23-10

I change the filter about every 15K miles. Ford dealerships sell them, but they're too expensive - around $65-$85. You can order the same magnefine filter for about $20-$30 online.

Hope this helps.