transmission coolers

toyotaguy

how many of you are running them? should I get one, is it worth the money for it? I daily drive and will be in the desert maybe once a month, maybe more or less. but if anyone has a tacoma, tell me what kind and where you got it.

looking for info on quality tacoma long travel.....any ideas?

tedmales

extra cooling is always better, but do not forget that if you put a cooler in front of the radiator it will load the other parts of the cooling system.i like to run a cooler under the body near the transmission. they have hot rod coolers that fit into the frame rail, and even though they might not work great with the limited airflow, its better than nothing.just do not forget to put it on the return line back to the transmission, if you run it through a cooler before the radiator it could just get heated back up in the radiator. they also make coolers with small electric fans. they work good also. just remember that anything you add is better than nothing at all.

life is too short to be small

hoeker

if you play in the dirt with an automatic trans you must have a cooler, the bigger the better.

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

ntsqd

For dez only use (i.e. no ski trips and what-not into cold country) use the biggest cooler of the stcked plate type that you can fit. If ski trips and what-not are possibles, then route the aux cooler ahead of the radiator cooler. The reason for this is to dump as much heat out of the ATF as possible, but still get the trans up to operating temp in cold country. Plumbing the coolers this way is hard on the ATF, plan on yearly (at most) changes of the fluid. An alternative to using the stock cooler to get the trans to temp is to use an engine oil inline t-stat. Check BAT for those.

TS

I used to swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Trucks that come with tow packages usually come with one don't they?

See ya in the dirt!

hoeker

usually they come with one, but they are seldom big enough for serious off-road use.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

toyotaguy

ok so I live in orange county so the weather is roughly the same year round. So it is worth every penny to get one then right?

looking for info on quality tacoma long travel.....any ideas?

ntsqd

Two simple questions.

How much is the biggest cooler you can fit on the truck ?

How much will it cost you to have the trans rebuilt ?

TS

hoeker

well put!

Jerry Zaiden

Setrab oil coolers are the best! (my opinion).
Here is a picture of a 640 fan pack they are $450 each the one in the picture was not enough so now we run 2 of them. If you want your transmission to last you will need to keep an eye on your temp and keep it cool. Our truck has a 4.0L v6 and a C-4 trans.

Motorider

Jerry, is that a cooler for the motor oil, because it looks like it passes through a filter. Also, what is that you have running between the rails right behind (in front of) the amber lights? and did you have to get any adapter plate to match the C-4 up with the 4.0L
Thanks

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
C4 is a bolt up to a 4.0. The 4 liter is a 2600cc block that is bored and stroked so you just get a bellhousing off a pinto that had a c4.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

hoeker

jerry, are you entering the cooler on the bottom, and exiting on top? from the trans filter location that looks likely. i have had much better luck using 3-pass setrabs, but mine have been mounted vertical, maybe your mounting arangement wouldn't show the improvement i realized when i switched.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

ntsqd

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Setrab oil coolers are the best! (my opinion).

<hr></blockquote>

I'll second that.

TS

singlehanded

Jerry whats the stall on your c4 thats in the race truck?
I get my ranger back fri and it has only one cooler but the stall is around stock.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

billymanfroy

We had a LOT of problems cooling the C4 originally, but now we run 2 fluidyne coolers from summit ( I think). Haven't needed fans, but then we do have them mounted directly in the airflow through the cab. I connected the two on the passenger side for the trans and run it through a remote oil filter before the coolers just for kicks. The 3rd one on the driver's side is for engine oil.

The last time we checked the temp using an infrared gun on the filter, I think it was 155 after 6 hard laps at Prairie City, and that was with the airflow blocked because USHRA requires a rear lexan window for Pro Arena. 2 of these coolers should be all you need. We run an 8" converter (3600 stall supposedly), and I turn the motor to 8,000+ regularly. I've been running these for 3-4 years without one iota of trouble. Cheap and easy, baby.

This picture isn't all that great, but you get the idea.