transmission

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
I am in the middle of building a Ranger and am ready for the transmission. I am going to have a C-4 built for it and was wondering what, if any, benefits does a reverse manual valve body have. It seems that a lot of trucks go with this set-up and was just wondering why? Any info is appreciated. thanks.

mgobaja

Reaction
It allows you to install a reverse pattern shifter. With that shifter it makes shifting more logical.I dont remember which way the gears fall on the shifter exactly though.

Flea

Reaction
instead of the shift pattern being: P-R-N-D-2-1...it goes: P-R-N-1-2-3 and you have to shift the lever manually. ive never driven one but it sounds awesome. correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure thats how it goes

Chris

Reaction
On our class 8 manual valve body shifter the patern is P-R-N-3-2-1. It doesn't have a clutch but you have to shift it like a manual. This is my first experience with it and as far as I'm concerned there is no slicker setup. It's really bitchen!

DougM

Reaction
why would you want to shift an auto? Thats the whole reasoning behind an auto transmission..it does the work for you?

Maybe im missing something since I dont race?

Chris

Reaction
Well we haven't had our first race yet, but I would say that it gives the driver more control. An auto trany is setup to shift at a certain point or rpm right? The manual valve body gives your automatic the versatility of a manual trans. but since there is no clutch as found in a manual trans. it's less harsh on the equipment.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Chris is right it gives the driver alot more control of the motor and the truck your right the shift pattern for man. valve bodie is the reverse pattern is P-R-N-1-2-3 it is fun to drive my friend had it in a ranger but just like a stick shift, when you pull up to a light you have to bring the shifter back to 1st gear cause the transmission no longer down shifts...

You must be Fast cuz I was HAULIN ASS when I passed you...

jeff

Reaction
I love my reverse pattern manual valve body. If I want to start out in 2nd gear, I can... if I'm crawling slow through the rocks, reverse is only one detent away from 1st gear... When you are in 3rd, there is no chance the engine might kick down into 2nd or first, excellent if you want to slog through stuff. It's great to drive - once you get used to it you'll enjoy it. It gives the driver total control of the shifting speed and RPM. If you are going for a manual valve body, MAKE SURE YOU GET A REVERSE PATTERN. It sucks to have to shift all the way from 1st on the bottom up to reverse near the top, especially if you have a gate or ratchet shifter, such as an Art Carr, Winters, etc... Total control...

Aloha

Flea

Reaction
yah your missing something. for racing if you always want your engine to be in the powerband you can rely on yourself and not the transmission to tell you what gear to be in. therefore you can pick the best gear for your truck to be in. and you still have the benefit of the ultra quick shifting that automatic trannies provide.

Flea

Reaction
chris it shifts in that order because you have a manual valvebody not a reverse manual valvebody. the reason for having the reverse manual is because it is a more logical shifting order(like they said above) since first is right after neutral and to shift into second your puling back on the shifter instead of pushing forward.

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
its funny cause if you go to drag strip all the racers there hate reverse valve bodies probably cause they like their B&M ratchet shifters that move foward when shifting, i drove my freinds car down the track regular valve bodie(two speed power glide) when i was going from 1st to 2nd i missed 2nd and hit neutral the engine went to 9000 rpm i told him if he canged the valve bodie it wouldnt happen but like i said they hate reverse pattern bodies.

You must be Fast cuz I was HAULIN ASS when I passed you...

Flea

Reaction
wow 9000 rpm's hahaaha he musta had a gnarly engine to survive. man ive always wanted to take a car down a dragstrip thats awesome. one question....did he let you try again? o yeah cant you get ratchet shifters with neutral lockout? or maybe thats just reverse.