• Forum membership has its advantages....

transmissions

tkr

Hey all you buggy guys out there, what are most people running in their class12/ScoreLite cars? We just blew up another built bus box and are trying to figure out what we need to do?
1. Change our driving style :-(
2. upgrade to a Mendeola, DG300 etc....

Any suggestions?

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

vwguy

i used to work in a buggy shop and will tell you right now mendeola is basically the strongest thing out there
their manufacturing and design and engineering is the best
and the physical size of parts and the whole transmission is very large and beefy

unless you want a 5 speed transmission and that is up to you and the hewlands are very strong also

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

tkr

thanks for the advice. I've heard some people say the Hewlands aren't much stronger than the bus boxes, just more expensive. So I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

frankh

Hewlands are a lot stronger then a bus box as far as r/p but the dog rings are not as forgiving. If you have the touch to match speed then they are great if not may a 5-speed mendeola. We have a fortin and Dennis has the touch but I am a little harder on it them him. But we just ran 670 mile and the transmission is fine.

tkr

Thanks Frank!
So the Mendeola's are easier to shift than the Fortins and Hewlands??

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

frankh

I don't know if easier is the right term but differant. Fortin and hewland do not have syncro gears so you do not use the clutch. you have to match rpm with your speed. Mendeola is the same as your bus box. It just takes a little getting use to the Fortin.

tkr

Ok, I understand now. Thanks again Frank.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

ntsqd

If you get a Hewland Mk 5-6-7 etc., it uses a VW passenger car trans case. The guts are all Hewland though. Not a t/a I'd put in an off road car as they're only rated to ~125 HP in a road race application where the traction is consistant and the tires are small. I only have experience with this Hewland series, the bigger Hewland t/a's I'll leave to those who've used them.
BTW, Hewland t/a's are why Hylomar exists. And they still leak on occasion.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Snmiedo

Dear Matt,

I would highly recommend the Mendeola MD4 or MD5 transmission. I have run it in my 2 seat Jimco Class 12 for over 3,500 race and test miles (Baja 2000, Dunaway Dash, San Felipe 250, Primm 300) with 100% reliability. Up to this point, we had only replaced the synchro rings for $75.00 where everything else was great. We just replaced the ring and pinion before the Baja 1000 just to be safe. However, the reliability and virtual nil maintenance have paid itself over and over.
I'm getting ready to upgrade to the 5 speed and plan on selling it FRESH for $5,500. So, sell all of your Type II stuff including the spare trans. if you have one and pick up an MD4 or MD5. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me or call me at Race Ready Products 619-691-9171.
P.S. - Would you be interested in a 3 or 4 race "Pro 12" series?

frankh

What is your idea on a pro-12 ?? Dennis Boyle my race racing partner may buy a house so it will cut down the 12 car racing next year but your Idea sounds fun.

Mike_McCluskey

Frank - I think there are new engine rules for class 10, something about a larger aircooled displacement. Bump your 12 motor to the new ten rules and run 10!? Just a thought.
I'm not positive on the new rule changes I just heard grapevine talk!!

tkr

Thanks for the input Mike. Yes, a pro12 series does sound interesting. Please keep me posted if you have any more information on it.
matt@teamkwikracing.com

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Thanks for the help guys. Do any of you know of a good trannie shop that sells MD4 or MD5's in the LA area? Do you think it best to buy one new or rebuilt?

I thing a pro12 class would be very cool. Let me know how we can help.

Jim Heine
Team Kwik Racing

tkr

well its about time you chimed in Jimmy!

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Snmiedo

Jim,
I'll keep you posted on Pro 12. Derek Nye of DirtBagz along with Jerry Penhall are trying to get the ball rolling and we'll post more details next week on the board.
In the meantime, there are several MD4 and MD5 builders in Los Angeles and Orange County and they are all reputable as Mendeola is fairly picky about who sells his stuff. I would give the following a ring: Dave Foltz, Sam @ Rancho Performance, Joe Giffin of JG Transwerks, or even Mike Mendeola down in San Diego. If you decide to come down south, be sure to visit our showroom (Race Ready Products) as we are right next door to Mike.
Buying new or used is a good bet. However, the pickings for an MD5 used are hard to get. I have an MD4 for sale if you are interested.

TKRJIM

Mike,

I'll be in San Diego sometime during the first week in December. I'll give you a call and maybe stop by and take a look at that MD4.

kurt

Jim - If your down this way you better call and stop by and say "Hi", or I'll be totally offended and will make it a point at the next race to keep you up till 4 am, not to mention giving Zach permission to drive your race car, motorhome, chase truck, or anything else in your pits!!!!! Talk about pressure??!! LOL - Later - Kurt.