• Forum membership has its advantages....

Travis Pastrana Jumps

Wendell #527

I hope not Hope he makes a successful jump

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert
. I’m sure he will do just fine. Travis is fast in just about anything you put him in. It would be a fun weekend to be in Vegas with two days of UFC fights plus these jumps. A little hot, but it would be fun.

trentk

Pastrana doesn't do anything thats easy, it might be a little gimmicky but still not simple. have you seen his latest movie that came out last week? Action heroes 2? its awesome, he does some crazy stuff in there and gets hurt plenty.

Wendell #527

did you see the gaps in the boards on evils landing ramp,scary stuff.
. You are right. Gaps where you can see through it. Watching the video and seeing the boards flop like that shows just how cheesy that landing ramp was. Evel came up just a bit short on that one. Hey whatever happened to Robbie Kneivel or whatever Evel’s son was named. Is he still around?

Chris Tobin

We watched it last night... TP is extremely talented and has such great control and awareness of his body and bike while in the air!!!

It was odd to me that they featured one of Evel's sons but not Robbie, the one who followed in Evel's footsteps doing a lot of Jumps on Harley's I believe...

brad inch

We watched it last night... TP is extremely talented and has such great control and awareness of his body and bike while in the air!!!

It was odd to me that they featured one of Evel's sons but not Robbie, the one who followed in Evel's footsteps doing a lot of Jumps on Harley's I believe...
i was thinking the same thing,i think he may have tried the fountain jump??lots of history but not one time did his name come up.

Chris Tobin

i was thinking the same thing,i think he may have tried the fountain jump??lots of history but not one time did his name come up.
I was thinking he might have done it on a dirtbike at some point... I can't remember for sure. I'm guessing there is a reason he was omitted, just not sure what it was.

brad inch

well i looked it up and robbie did it and mike metzger did a fing back flip over it,theres a video on line,pretty cool. funny that they left them both out.

JDDurfey

They talked quite a bit during the show about the fact that no one had successfully landed the fountain jump on a Harley type bike. The guys that did it successfully all did it on dirt bikes. Gary Wells tried to do it on a Harley and failed as well.

I watched some videos of Robby Knievel jumping and laughed at his poor riding skills. I saw an interview with him one time in which Robbie Knievel said that the only time he rode a bike was to do a jump.

I know there are videos of him as a kid doing wheelies at his dad's jumps, but I never thought Robbie was a good rider. You can tell by his lack of throttle control on the run ups, his inability to control the bike in the air, and his poor landings. And if you watch the footage of the "Grand Canyon" jump, he crashes after the landing because he grabbed too much front brake and locked up the front tire. Now, that maybe because of the surface he was on was slick, but I still think a lot had to do with a lack of riding ability.

On a side note, the "Grand Canyon" jump was not the actual Grand Canyon, and from what I heard at the time by some people who worked on the jump, it was only a 140 foot gap he had to clear. At that time I had jumped farther in the dunes on my highly modified Honda XR 600 of all things. Robbie's name is what gave him the recognition to do those jumps. There were many many guys with more talent jumping way farther that never got paid a dime for it. My friend Eric Brown jumped a measured 242 feet in the late 90's in the sand dunes, which at that time was the farthest natural terrain jump ever completed, but it was not recognized because no one from Guinness was there to witness it. It was filmed and there were plenty of witnesses, but it still did not become an official record.

I just looked at Robbie K's wikipedia page. Hes's a more accomplished jumper than I thought he was.

When I was younger I made a deal with motorcycles. I will stop trying to ride them and they will stop trying to kill me. (So far they have held up their side of the bargain so, I'm still holding up my side.) Even with my complete lack of moto ability I still find Robbie to be "meh" as far as dare devils go.