• Forum membership has its advantages....

Traxxas 12T 550 Motor Break In

ltr450rider

Just picked up a new motor and have read a few different ways about "breaking in" the motor. One method was submerging the motor under water and running for 3 minutes? I have a hard time understanding how an electric motor is supposed to run underwater, my sarcasm senses were tingling reading this thinking this was good prank to get some less educated folks to ruin a new part, but I am not an expert, so I figured I'd check in the internet experts here for advice.

Break in the new motor, methods? Or just install it and run it? Light duty heat cycles?

ltr450rider

Is there a reason why you wouldn't just squirt little bit of light mineral oil on the brushes for the same effect?

Traxxas website says to do some light duty driving for the 1st run of the battery pack. No hard pulls, braking, or reverse.

Attachments

Last edited:

michael.gonzalez

I don't think you want to lubricate the brushes necessarily.
You want to wear them into the commutator. The water serves as a sink for the particles produced from the wear/break-in.

Much like running gear oil for the first 500 miles of a ring and pinion gear set on a truck and then dumping all the "break-in" fluid which has not so good stuff in it.

9five9

I smoked a Titan 12t by trying to use oil.

If you haven't done anything yet, Install the motor, and break it in by slowly rolling on/off the throttle for the duration of your first battery pack charge. an open parking lot is the best place

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
I’ve run every traxxas I’ve ever had at full speed right out of the box with no issues. I thought that was the whole point of Traxxas?

9five9

Break-in is only recommended for brushed motors.

Modern brushless motors need no such break-in procedure.
That's the thing. The titan is a brushed motor. One of the best there is in my opinion. Obviously they don't make brushless power, but a good basher. They run pretty good till they die. Then it's like 20 bucks for a new one.

Class10DAN

Just picked up a new motor and have read a few different ways about "breaking in" the motor. One method was submerging the motor under water and running for 3 minutes? I have a hard time understanding how an electric motor is supposed to run underwater, my sarcasm senses were tingling reading this thinking this was good prank to get some less educated folks to ruin a new part, but I am not an expert, so I figured I'd check in the internet experts here for advice.

Break in the new motor, methods? Or just install it and run it? Light duty heat cycles?
you messed up when you bought a brushed motor... i personally would run it underwater and go to a RC store and buy a brush-less motor with a decent speed controller and go home, install the new goodies then throw away the brushed motor...

ltr450rider

you messed up when you bought a brushed motor... i personally would run it underwater and go to a RC store and buy a brush-less motor with a decent speed controller and go home, install the new goodies then throw away the brushed motor...
Been running it when I get bored every few days. Works fine. Needs new battery though.

CMA GUMBY

Buy 2 batteries. One in the car, other on the charger. Double the fun.

9five9

Brushed motors are still fine for a lot of applications. Most brushed ESC's are good for 2s lipo packs these days, so you can get more power out of them. I still run a 9 year old Reedy brushed motor from a short course truck in one of my touring cars and it's a blast.