TRD supercharger question

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I have the TRD supercharger on my 3.4 T-100. other than that the engine is completely stock. TRD claims another 70hp or so but I don't feel that much difference at all. Has anyone esle experienced this? Mine is the newest second generation supercharger that they fixed any problems from the earlier ones. It drives fine with no hesitation or anything but it doesn't feel like a huge power difference. Maybe I was expecting to much?
I was thinking I might need to put headers and exhaust on it then it might wake it up even more because the stock exhaust might be restricting it. Not to sure though.

EQuin

Reaction
Check out this website - www.gadgetonline.com . This guy has done alot of experimentation on his 3.4L (4Runner) with TRD supercharger and has alot of good info about the motor and the supercharger. Also, check out www.ne-ttora.com and search for info on the supercharger. The site is geared towards Tacomas, but the motors are the same. There should be info on getting the supercharger to run like it's supposed to.

Hope this helps. Take care,

Ed Q.

Ed Q.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Kevin Hutter passed me in his supercharged Taco at about 95 up Cajon and he had a full load...so I would say it added a lot of extra poop to the thing. He seems to be in the know on teh superchargers and ahs soem TRD connections...talk to him toyprerunr@aol.com

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

Dillon

Reaction
His TRD headers and his regearing and fuel mods probably helped, he is supposedly pumping out 300HP before the transmission.....bastard :)

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
thanks I just sent him an e-mail.

So how do you think my T-100 would do if I had to tow my race truck with it to Laughlin? it has an automatic in it. I need to tow my race truck there because the guy that bought it will be picking it up there. I haven't had any luck finding another tow vehicle yet. I am driving from Nor cal so I would be driving over the Tehachepies and the grades between Barstow and Laughlin. Can't remember how bad those are though. the T-100 is still stock, I haven't torn it apart yet to build it up.

Littlenutts

Reaction
You will be fine. I have a stock 3.4 in my T100 and no probs. towing. and the extra torque that blower is putting out will help on the grades.

They are REAL!

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I just read on www.gadgetonline.com that he had automatic transmission problems after installing the supercharger. a company does a valve body modification and a torque converter mod that makes it bullet proof. It still scares me to put it through towing because I don't want to kill the transmission.

Protrux just told me that he thinks he heard that on a 95 you need to upgrade to a 97 computer to make it work correctly with the supercharger so it will use all of its power. I have been looking online for awhile now to try and find out if that is the way to go.

Dillon

Reaction
Email Gadget about it, he knows his stuff, pretty much the resident expert on the supercharger and 3.4L engine. You can get a Split Second TMC 1.1 and that pretty much will fix most fuel delivery problems. As for the transmission, if you are primarily going to be towing, I would recommend doing the upgrade and also use a big fat transmission cooler, as the primary enemy of a transmission is heat.

As for the older engine, yeah, you have to trick the computer, its supposed to be super easy, again, E-mail Gadget. You can also check <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=13>this site</A> and do some searches and ask people, as about half of them have blowers on the 3.4L.

Good luck

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I was only thinking of towing with the truck one time before I tear it down to build my new prerunner. So I think I am just going to find another truck to tow with and be safe. But I still wonder if I might need to do any of those transmission mods since I will be driving the truck pretty hard when its finished. I am going to e-mail him now to see what he says.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Towing a truck with a Tundra sounds scary especially if you get into these crazy winds.

Kris

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
You are correct...my bad.

Kris

hbprnstr

Reaction
I tow all the time with my tacoma thats super charged and it does fine. The only downer is you will burn alot of gas up the grades because under load especially towing it will sit at full boost till you get into flat ground. Also the computer on the 3.4 learns in the first 1000 miles and you should not have to change the comp. and if it isnt cmoking the tires off the line and making a big difference in excelleration you have some kind of problem because when i got mine it went from not even being to be able to hardly chirp the tires to be able to smoke them at half throtle.

hbprnstr

Reaction
its an 02 double cab on 33's automatic. I believe it was you and klaus at toyota that one day when i droped off steves truck and you saw my truck at toyota.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
yeah that was us. I also e-mailed Steve and his brother Barry about it but I haven't heard anything from them. I have some more Toyota mechanics up here I am going to ask tomorrow.
I still haven't found a tow vehicle so worst case I might tow with the T-100.

jeff

Reaction
Where exactly are you (and the truck that's being towed) located?

Aloha

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Oakley or Brentwood, about one hour east of San Francisco. I have to tow it Thursday the 16th to Laughlin. Then I am going to San Diego for a couple of days to hang out and pick up some parts for the T-100 from a friend.
Not towing I have made it there in about 8 hours, If I remember correctly.

ntsqd

Reaction
If you take it easy on the hills, particularly the hill up into Tehachapi, I don't see a problem in towing with the T-100. One of the SoCA EB folks flat tows their Early Bronco with a 3.4 double cab Taco. They said it went up 18 into the Big Bear area fairly well (frontside, not Cushenbury). Didn't even feel like they were short on brakes.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
ok, I just e-mailed TRD and got some bad news.... Here are my e-mails and their replies. If anyone has a fix please let me know. Does anyone on here have a 95-96 with a supercharger?

(from me to TRD)

I recently had a new second generation TRD supercharger installed at a Toyotadealership.  I have a 1995 T-100 with a 3.4 V6 and automatic transmission. I was not very impressed with the power increase and expected more after reading the specs of the supercharger on your website.  Also many others with the supercharger said that it sounds like I am not getting the full power that it should be using.  After many hours of research on the internet I have heard of possibilities that the trucks computer needs about 1000 or more miles to adjust for the supercharger and then a huge power increase will start.  I only have about 500 miles on it now.  I also had one person tell me that I may need a newer computer out of a 1997truck for it to work correctly, and others tell me that isn't true, it just needs the time to adjust.  If possible I don't plan to do any other modifications to the engine except for an air intake system and cat back exhaust.  I also heard that the supercharger could cause faster wear on the auto trannyand there is a company that does a torque converter mod and a valve body mod for the trannyto hold up to the extra power.  Is this true?

Thanks for your help,
Curtis Guise

Mr. Guise,

Thank you for your interest in TRD. Unfortunately the supercharger is not compatible with the 95-96 T-100 factory engine management unit. There is a florescent green sheet inside of the supercharger box stating this. Please contact the dealership you purchased the supercharger from.

TRD_Help

When purchasing the supercharger from Toyota they looked it up telling me that it will work with my 1995 T-100, and they did the install. I never opened the box myself. I was told by another person that I may need to replace the computer with a 1997 unit. Is this correct and will the 1997 computer plug into my truck? Is there anyone at TRD that I can call to talk to if this is a possible solution for me?

Is Toyota/TRD going to uninstall and refund my money if there is no solution for me?

Thank you,
Curtis Guise

Mr. Guise

I am sorry, but there is no kit to make the supercharger work for the 95-96 T100s. TRD cannot issue the refund because TRD has informed all dealers that the supercharger will not work on the 95-96 T100 and Tacomas. Also, there is a warning label inside the box saying that the supercharger will not work for those particular Toyotas.

TRD_Help