TRD supercharger question

Dillon

Reaction
For the fuel pump, I remember him saying he tried a few and did alot of research into it and decided that unit was the best for power draw and fuel delivery. I'm glad you got a hold of him, he is an invaluable resource with the 3.4L engine. Ask him bout the guy with the twin turbo 3.4L :) That engine is badass.

Good luck, you'll get it running better.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
After reading more on the YotaTech site I have seen that some people are running dual Supra pumps. I don't know any more details on that though.

And a guy called Dr. Z is about to buy a Perfect Power SMT6 to run on his 4-runner, so we'll see how that works. I found out that the Split Second unit to get is the FTC1-E, but its $579 compared to $250-280 for a SMT6.
the FTC1-E has ESC which lets you run it in open loop, but I have no idea what that does or the benefit from it yet.

ntsqd

Reaction
Closed loop should give you better drivability and mileage. I would think you'd only want open loop for primarily WOT applications. Perhaps the more expensive one goes open loop when WOT whereas the other does not.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I just talked to Rebello Racing engines in Concord, CA yeserday http://www.rebelloracing.com/
. He told me he heard of the split second unit but not the SMT6. He has heard mixed reviews, some like it some
don't, but that goes with everything. He told me that for my 95 T100 I probably don't have to use one of those
units. He suggested getting a MSD Boost Timing Master ($170 in Summit or Jegs) that would solve any timing
issues/pinging. Then he said to put in a rising rate fuel regulator. He said Vortec makes a good one. He said you
plum it in on the return line after the stock regualtor and then hook the boost port to it. Plus get a good fuel pump,
as everyone has suggested.
For the issue about larger injectors he seemed to think that 305cc or 310 were to big (if 255cc is stock, I think it
is) he said you would most likely not pass smog if you went that large and the most you should go is about 5%
over stock. He said the stock injectors should be able to handle about 70 - 75psi of fuel pressure before acting
funny.
He also said you can install a resitor at the temp sensor to trick it into thinking its colder outside, which he said
would help in my application and use colder plugs, and I think he said something similar about a resitor at the O2
sensor.
He also said he would charge under $100 as a side job to install the parts and dial it in if I wanted.

This sounds tempting because all they deal with is high performance engines and they have been around forever. You might have heard of them or seen their stickers.

I wonder if anyone tried to smog their trucks with the 305-310cc injectors.

geoff

Reaction
bringing an old post up from the dead

curtis -- you definatley do not want to do what was recommended to you by that guy. The FMU will be inaccurate in all but one narrow range in fuel deliver, the computer would run like crap with a random resistor on the IAT, and there is no tuneability. Also you will wash the rings out on low boost and melt stuff at higher boost.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Re: bringing an old post up from the dead

Geoff, thanks for the reply. I was reading some of your posts in that other thread. What do you suggest? I haven't done anything with it yet because the truck is sitting in the shop with the back half of the truck cut off. I am currently working on the rear 4 link and cage, then I will be building the front, then messing with the Supercharger.
Does the SMT6 sound like a good solution? And what do you recomend for a fuel pump?