• Forum membership has its advantages....

Trick/trophy truck 4wd ?

Chris_Wilson

I think the #1 advantage of 4wd is a better qualify result

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
For sure the qualifying, but I also wonder if it might be more reliable to have a 4x4 that you can disengage rather than full time AWD.

ACME

1) How can 4 wheels spinning with a top driver on the gas do less damage? More traction = more damage as they can now pound through a corner faster so it will be equal to or do more damage...

2 As for any limits; the limited class racers would all agree that a 37" tire limit would be nice since we run the same stuff over and over. It'd be cool of it wasn't 5' whoops on multi lap races. But then you'd have to consider the limited cars and who really cares as the tt's are the show. Right?

3 All that really matters are TT's and SXS's as that was the bulk of the MINT field. It'd be so much easier if those other pesky classes went away... OBVIOUSLY KIDDING!!!!

dan200

#BSF200
and the con to all those pros are that you have that many more parts moving that could fail...it's a give and take at least for now, but if it ever becomes bullet proof it'll be a winner for sure
Have we seen the recent 4wds have failures that are related to the 4wd?

I mean sure, it's a more complicated set up and obviously that means there's more potential for failure but, are they failing? (I'm asking because, I don't know.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan200

#BSF200
1) How can 4 wheels spinning with a top driver on the gas do less damage? More traction = more damage as they can now pound through a corner faster so it will be equal to or do more damage...!!!!
Could it be argued that since they slip less, they are digging less of a hole than a two wheel drive? I think it could.

I think they are more efficient going through a corner. Much more. Big HPwith less traction would be less efficient

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Have we seen the recent 4wds have failures that are related to the 4wd?

I mean sure, it's a more complicated set up and obviously that means there's more potential for failure but, are they failing? (I'm asking because, I don't know.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Justin Matney's front diff broke while running in the top 3 at the Mint 400

dan200

#BSF200
Justin Matney's front diff broke while running in the top 3 at the Mint 400
Thanks. I wonder what other failures there have been. And what caused the broke diff. Did it wear out and explode? A rock get smashed into it?

More than once I have heard a DNF blamed on a vehicle "sucking" when in reality it was because of a rock or driver error and not a design or preventable part failure.

(Just trying to be objective)

Dirty Harry

1) How can 4 wheels spinning with a top driver on the gas do less damage? More traction = more damage as they can now pound through a corner faster so it will be equal to or do more damage...
Because the tires aren't spinning all the time like a RWD truck, they are pulling. Which also means TTs don't need to change the rear tires every 200 miles, which potentially makes them faster in the pits too.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

dan200

#BSF200
Because the tires aren't spinning all the time like a RWD truck, they are pulling. Which also means TTs don't need to change the rear tires every 200 miles, which potentially makes them faster in the pits too.
200 miles is a long way to go regardless of 2 or 4wd I would think. There is merit to your argument that pit time is saved though because there's less wear, maybe? Anyone know the deal on this?

BajaFand

Also not as hard on certain drive train parts because HP and torque are spread to all 4 corners instead of 2 corners with 1 diff.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Also not as hard on certain drive train parts because HP and torque are spread to all 4 corners instead of 2 corners with 1 diff.

Yeah, but to a proven formula you are adding a transfer case, front differential, CVs, and axles.

MADMILLER

Me,Jesse Jones,His prep guy joe and some of my team sat around the camp fire after the race saturday night in parker.I lost a engine in our 6100 mm50 Jesse lost a power steering pump at mm28.We both were trying to "forget" about the race at that point in the night so we got to hear some of Jesses views on the 4wd...First of all mr. mfin jones is a VERY smart person. He said NOTHING will touch a 4wd truck once its figured out..This year he has dedicated it to getting it lined out...He said it accelerates so hard corner to corner he actually cruises around the bottom smooth line in the corners then stands on it which in his words will eliminate his flat tires..Second he says the front tires also pull the truck across the woops so it works just as good if not better.Then you eliminate tire changes every 200 or so miles due to them all hooking up.Jesse was HARD on 2wd tires ive changed them before.He already had fortin upgrade every part of the front diff after the ratr failure. Parker had a ps pump take him out but in his words if it was the BITD Parker 28 he Fuggin killed them all! The 4wd is the FUTURE of winning and a man with his Power$ will be the one to get it dialed in.Put is this way....all due respect to mr matney but hes not a power house like some of the top drivers and he WAS dang near about to win the mint400!

Slippery P

They need more power...

dan200

#BSF200
Jones also pulling the 8 stack and stabbing in a BIG BLOCK
Sometimes I think what would happen if one of the 4wds had the Josh Daniel Danzio Twin Turbo package on it and I get a weird boner. Then I realize that if there was a 4wdTTTT it would prolly feck up the rotation of the earth and then we would have tsunamis and a bunch of other crap happen and the world would be destroyed. Sure would be cool to watch though.

If it did happen I am calling "SHOTGUN" right now.

:Do_O

Slippery P

Sometimes I think what would happen if one of the 4wds had the Josh Daniel Danzio Twin Turbo package on it and I get a weird boner. Then I realize that if there was a 4wdTTTT it would prolly feck up the rotation of the earth and then we would have tsunamis and a bunch of other crap happen and the world would be destroyed. Sure would be cool to watch though.

If it did happen I am calling "SHOTGUN" right now.

:Do_O
IMG_0884.JPG