• Forum membership has its advantages....

Trick/trophy truck 4wd ?

Slippery P

With a 4wd, conceivably how much less power would it need to keep pace with a modern 2wd TT? I'd think you wouldn't need the same amount of power and thus would increase reliability.
Think about the polar opposite of what you just posted.

redline

I definitely see awd being an advantage on some courses but hindering on others. Tight smoother courses hands down 2wd would be left in the dust. Rough more open course then 2wd would be more beneficial. Less weight in the wrong spot and less moving parts, not to mention less money outta pocket per prep!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

BajaFand

Me,Jesse Jones,His prep guy joe and some of my team sat around the camp fire after the race saturday night in parker.I lost a engine in our 6100 mm50 Jesse lost a power steering pump at mm28.We both were trying to "forget" about the race at that point in the night so we got to hear some of Jesses views on the 4wd...First of all mr. mfin jones is a VERY smart person. He said NOTHING will touch a 4wd truck once its figured out..This year he has dedicated it to getting it lined out...He said it accelerates so hard corner to corner he actually cruises around the bottom smooth line in the corners then stands on it which in his words will eliminate his flat tires..Second he says the front tires also pull the truck across the woops so it works just as good if not better.Then you eliminate tire changes every 200 or so miles due to them all hooking up.Jesse was HARD on 2wd tires ive changed them before.He already had fortin upgrade every part of the front diff after the ratr failure. Parker had a ps pump take him out but in his words if it was the BITD Parker 28 he Fuggin killed them all! The 4wd is the FUTURE of winning and a man with his Power$ will be the one to get it dialed in.Put is this way....all due respect to mr matney but hes not a power house like some of the top drivers and he WAS dang near about to win the mint400!
I'm definitely inclined to believe this. 4wd/2wd will no doubt go about the same speed on the lakebeds and will both do 90mph over 4 foot holes. No real difference there. I think the difference in speed will come from going faster where every one else can't go fast. 4wd can make up serious time in tight and twistys, sand washes, silt beds, and hill climbs.

freddy

I have no doubt that 4wd will be faster once everything is figured out, if it's not already. But, have there been any talk about limiting the suspension travel or wheel size for the 4wd, as they do in the Dakar for example?

green787

It's not that complicated people.... Running my 22r with relatively little HP, it was always just a question of do I run the front driveshaft or not... If the track was muddy or sandy, I would run it.... If the track was hard pack like at Barstow, I would not run the front driveshaft...(actually remove it). My truck would bog in the sand in 2wd.... In 4wd it felt like you were floating over it... At the CORR race I ran the front driveshaft because the watered down track was slippery.... I had more control over the truck in 4wd like riding my CR500 over the whoops.... In 2wd it was slam city up and down endlessly in the Class 1 whoops.... Hope this helps....

Toyota002.jpg

Bricoop

I'm definitely inclined to believe this. 4wd/2wd will no doubt go about the same speed on the lakebeds and will both do 90mph over 4 foot holes. No real difference there. I think the difference in speed will come from going faster where every one else can't go fast. 4wd can make up serious time in tight and twistys, sand washes, silt beds, and hill climbs.

Yup. Pro-2 v Pro-4 demonstrate this well. A 4wd has a later braking point and is faster through every part of a turn(especially exit). Silt beds, hill climbs, and anything else that requires traction will benefit too.

Bricoop

It's not that complicated people.... Running my 22r with relatively little HP, it was always just a question of do I run the front driveshaft or not... If the track was muddy or sandy, I would run it.... If the track was hard pack like at Barstow, I would not run the front driveshaft...(actually remove it). My truck would bog in the sand in 2wd.... In 4wd it felt like you were floating over it... At the CORR race I ran the front driveshaft because the watered down track was slippery.... I had more control over the truck in 4wd like riding my CR500 over the whoops.... In 2wd it was slam city up and down endlessly in the Class 1 whoops.... Hope this helps....

View attachment 178805
Was the decision to run 2wd mostly because of HP?

green787

Was the decision to run 2wd mostly because of HP?
Yes, as it related to the condition of the track.... I didn't have the horsepower to blast through the sand or mud (not much silt at Barstow) so the trade off was the strategic question I was faced with at every race....(do I run the front driveshaft or not)....Yes, the 4wd would suck up HP and made a bunch of weird noises going fast across the dry lake beds....

green787

As a racer the only way I can describe the benefit of 4wd is like at Monster truck shows, how they approach a little sleeper jump and then launch themselves about 20 feet in the air.... This effect makes it so you can jump your truck from the top of whoops a little more accurately with just a little more control when you are gassing it off a jump at high speed.... Less lawn dart effect also... Just stay on the throttle and it will straighten out on it's own..... My front end gear ratio was a little higher than the rear, so it would pull you along like a front wheel drive car....

Last edited:

blue dog

Did you see the #4 pull on the #18 off the line at the mint ?

J Burleson

Ooh, big block! It's about time a rat found its way back into a TT! It's all about torque when you are actually hooking up! I do think it may take a bit of the wild and wow factor out of watching a TT dance though. Fast and tidy isn't as cool to watch as almost as fast and squirrelly!

DirtKingDodge

I'll just leave this here

Joints from RCV Performance for the UFOFab built rig for Gomez Brothers Racing at KOH. I think 4WD IS for sure the way of the future if they can get things figured out. That's why I did my Prerunner with LT 4x4. It was more expensive and it's a pain in the ass, but I'd like to figure out a good system to make it bullet proof. I plan on talking to RCV Performance about trying to help me build something at some point.

bajadreamer

Go fast through the fast stuff(or almost as fast).. then you're just like everyone else..

Find a way to go "faster" through the slow stuff(4x4) (corners,silt,rocks) then you are beating everyone else, if you can get er to stay together

I'm nobody from nowhere

Dirty Harry

I'm definitely inclined to believe this. 4wd/2wd will no doubt go about the same speed on the lakebeds and will both do 90mph over 4 foot holes. No real difference there.
Actually I think that there is a difference over 4 foot holes. 4WD trucks do not have as much wheel travel in the front as 2WD trucks, the axles are the limiting factor (at least for now). I think that it will always be a trade off between which works better overall, but I expect to see more 4WD trucks in the near future.

elite raceworks

200 miles is a long way to go regardless of 2 or 4wd I would think. There is merit to your argument that pit time is saved though because there's less wear, maybe? Anyone know the deal on this?
If I remember correctly, somebody told me Matney ran 1 set of tires at either the 500 or v2r?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Tobin

A 4WD TT with a 1,000-1,200 HP and 1,500-2,000 lbs-ft TQ Duramax engine would be a mean combination! Anyone have a few hundred thousand to loan me for the build???