• Forum membership has its advantages....

Trick/trophy truck 4wd ?

dan200

#BSF200
I find it a little bit harder to compare KOH vehicles to trophy trucks. Yes, the KOH trucks are going pretty damn fast in the open, but not quite as fast as a TT. When a KOH truck is on the rocks and bouncing around, that is the most amount of stress on their drivetrain, but I feel that the shock loads going through a TT at speed across the whoops is more stressful than that of a KOH on bouncing on the rocks.

With that said, why hasn't someone put the KOH drivetrain in a TT?

The way I see it, the KOH trucks are already competing in the open desert as they just did this past weekend at the Mint, but they weren't anywhere near the speed of the TT. The only one I saw going fast enough was Casey Currie (His motor sounded effin rad by the way). I don't know what cause him to DNF.
Watching Waylon Campbell at the Reno race (short course with a few boulder fields). He would switch into 4 when he entered the rock piles and then back into two when he was in the fast sections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan200

#BSF200
does a 4wd throw less than half the dirt per tire than a 2wd does per tire?
From where I was standing it looks like it throws less than half in the holes and banked turn in Laughlin's infield. I wish I still had those camera phone videos.

JDDurfey

^^that is a pretty clear example of how much less roost a 4wd throws.

Another area a 4wd will shine is in the silt beds. Having to keep the hammer down no matter what would be eliminated. If it is crazy dusty and the driver feels like they need to lift for safety reasons, they can knowing they have a much smaller chance of getting stuck. Or what about the occasional bottle neck in Baja and having to take off on a loose hill? A 2wd will spin the tires like crazy creating holes and a 4wd will have the ability to pull itself forward.

ltr450rider

Watching Waylon Campbell at the Reno race (short course with a few boulder fields). He would switch into 4 when he entered the rock piles and then back into two when he was in the fast sections.
I don't think a selectable system would work in desert racing, too many different situations happening too fast, so I fall back on the KOH system still doesn't meet the needs of open desert racing. I still think a 4WD TT is the future. I look at it like this, how long did it take for the modern truck chassis to start beating the Class 1 chassis? It will take time and money to figure out the 4WD system, lets see who steps up to the plate.

dan200

#BSF200
Just as an FYI, that was not at Mint. Lalo did not race Mint.

Apdaly's video shows him going toe to toe with Matney at Mint.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
I had videos like that from BITD Laughlin but they're gone. That video was from the blue water race in parker off the start on day one.

Bricoop

Regarding the pneumatic jack:

It is surprisingly quick. Put one on each corner and cut the flat change time in half. This system weighs about 50lbs, and thus weight is not a concern. I think if you put the mounting places appropriately, a 33" ram would work.

Last edited:

Chris Tobin

It is surprisingly quick. Put one on each corner and cut the flat change time in half. This system weighs about 50lbs, and thus weight is not a concern. I think if you put the mounting places appropriately, a 33" ram would work.

Robby Gordon had automatic jacking (hydraulic I think) in the Hummbuggys and probably had it in the Gordini (I'm not positive on that one though) so he knows the advantages as he has used it. But he hasn't integrated it in the trophy truck has he? There must be a reason...

Bricoop

Robby Gordon had automatic jacking (hydraulic I think) in the Hummbuggys and probably had it in the Gordini (I'm not positive on that one though) so he knows the advantages as he has used it. But he hasn't integrated it in the trophy truck has he? There must be a reason...
Humbuggy has them. I just watched a video of the the TT and it takes the guys about 10 seconds to jack up the rear (on the diff) in the pits using a hand jack. KISS?

Maybe it would make more sense to have if your needed to change 4. Dakar, as you probably know, is mainly to get yourself unburied from the sand, but it sure does make a tire change quick.

dan200

#BSF200

All four wheels off the ground at the Same time with that system seems SKETCHY AF to me.

We have that kinda set up on the TT but it's only used for on course tire changes, not pit stops.

Chris Tobin

Another point on the big power diesel engine in a TT, 4WD or not. I expect that it would get much better fuel mileage than a much lower power and torque gas engine. It seems some of the TTs are getting 4-5 MPG or even worse. I would GUESS that a 1000 HP/1500 TQ diesel engine would get something closer to 10 MPG in race conditions allowing it to carry less weight in fuel or similar fuel and go longer distances between fill ups which would also go perfect with extended tire change intervals as witnessed with 4WD!!! It really would be a win/win situation I believe!!!

bajadreamer

I'm sure the 4x4 guys know about that CryoHeat technology.. I hear that it makes a huge difference in reliability.. I heard about a drag boat was only getting 2-3 passes on his lower unit gear sets the he got it treated and micropolished and was able to get 50-60 passes!

That same technology has got to improve the longevity of a 4x4 drive train, right?

I'm nobody from nowhere