• Forum membership has its advantages....

Trick/trophy truck 4wd ?

Jerry

I got a ride in a KOH thing a few weeks ago. It was Stupid fast out of the corners. Stupid I tell ya.......... But the ride quality..... Sucked! My back still hurts. I probably wont ever ride in one again. I'm sure the AWD TT's ride much better.

I think its been proven that you don't need 24" of front travel to fast over big holes. I think 18" plus could do it very well. I believe the front diffs have less power delivered to them, I think I heard like 20% less.

dan200

#BSF200
I mean, we're only a few years out from highway repairs and fueling ;)

But in all reality, how "fail proof" is a single jack, on dirt, supporting ~5K lb pounds with guys pulling on 100lb tires?
I use/sell the pro eagle jack.

It's legit. 2-ton, 2 year warranty, integrated skid plate. Lightweight, and comes with a 5-8 inch extension. Visit my sales trailer at any race and I'll show it to ya. $250.00

Got a big wheel one also.

No, those aren't lawn mower wheels. Theyre composite and actually stronger than the jack. $360

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bricoop

I use/sell the pro eagle jack.

It's legit. 2-ton, 2 year warranty, integrated skid plate. Lightweight, and comes with a 5-8 inch extension. Visit my sales trailer at any race and I'll show it to ya. $250.00

Got a big wheel one also.

No, those aren't lawn mower wheels. Theyre composite and actually stronger than the jack. $360

I feel ya, but it the nascar guys can screw it up on pavement (and they do it about 50 times more per year than a TT team) I'm sure it happens to the dirt guys. BTW-Just came across this.

dan200

#BSF200
I feel ya, but it the nascar guys can screw it up on pavement (and they do it about 50 times more per year than a TT team) I'm sure it happens to the dirt guys. BTW-Just came across this.

I think both fox and king make the built in jack setup. Prolly some others do also. My shameless plug was to say that there are legit jacks out there. Lifting a whole vehicle up at once is sketchy. We have lifts at work with all kinds of safety features. And nobody can be under a jacked up truck without it being on jack stands.

I've been in two situations where jacks failed. One cost us a minute or so in a race. The other time coulda killed me.

In my head I'm picturing the only safe way to do what we're talking about is a customized set up based on this concept. VVVVV

Airbag/nitrogen system maybe?

And it would be annoying and a pain to transport, set up, and use I bet. Basically it would be easier to just drive faster. Lol

vegasloki

Airbag/nitrogen system maybe?

And it would be annoying and a pain to transport, set up, and use I bet. Basically it would be easier to just drive
That's the kind of setup I was thinking about, bags on a big sled. The AGM kit has been around for a while but not rated near what a full TT lift would need. The physics of lifting one side to use the leverage to shift the weight to the static side of the vehicles is different than a full lift. Depending on the displacement and drive config a Dakar T1 spec car is 1000 to 2000 lbs lighter than a TT.

It's not a matter of simply doubling the amount of jacking power to lift a TT. The force required for the full lift (not using the static side to support the truck) isn't going to scale linearly. IOW, you won't be able to just double an existing system to get the capacity. You'd need to calculate what the dead lift requirement would be and add a safety factor. It would be closer to a shop lift in capacity than it would to one of the AGM kits. If it were on the vehicle you'd also need some sort of auto leveling at least so it didn't tip during the lift.

Designing something to do the lift is the most straightforward part of it. It's the implementation and having it provide a time benefit to using it compared to the cost and labor of using it. I think the deciding factor would be the time delta to using either a 4 wheel lift or doing 4 wheels 2 at a time vs. however much time you could gain on the course compared to a 2 wd truck counting the tire change time as well as the time in the pits.