Tried and True Satellite Devices..?

KyleMurray

Reaction
I have seen many different options out there for tracking of your race vehicle as well as texting and calling on the sat phones or other sat devices.. And after reading the "Text Anywhere" thread, it had me wondering, what is the best satellite device out there for what we are trying to do in mexico? I am looking to have a sat device with texting/calling and tracking capabilities in each chase truck and one in the race car in case of emergencies. What is everybody using and what works?

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
I like the SPOT Connect. You can track the race vehicle using the normal SPOT tracking function. You can also send custom messages via satellite using an iOS device. Unlike Text Anywhere, the people receiving the message will not receive it by satellite. They would have to have cell or data service, or access to wifi.

But between having someone at home monitoring online, plus the cell/data/wifi availability in Baja growing all the time, combined with standard radios and radio relaying, it really covers just about any scenario for what I'm guessing is a fraction of the price of Text Anywhere.

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
Desert trax.

We used it at the Baka 1000 last year and it was by far the best tracking system around.
I know we were only 1 of a few teams with the system and it takes away all the guessing in racing offroad, especially in baja.

Going through San Ignacio we were on the highway. I was tracking the truck and they were just about to jump onto the pavement. At that moment they radio'd in that they were getting onto the pavement. We turned on our race team flashing lights so they knew it was us, I radio'd our driver that he was clear to pass us and on his way he went. Very accurate.

http://www.deserttrax.net

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
Desert trax.

We used it at the Baka 1000 last year and it was by far the best tracking system around.
I know we were only 1 of a few teams with the system and it takes away all the guessing in racing offroad, especially in baja.

Going through San Ignacio we were on the highway. I was tracking the truck and they were just about to jump onto the pavement. At that moment they radio'd in that they were getting onto the pavement. We turned on our race team flashing lights so they knew it was us, I radio'd our driver that he was clear to pass us and on his way he went. Very accurate.

Something like this is definitely the 'next level'. How do I get it? How much is it? Etc.?

M.Harvey1600

Reaction
Something like this is definitely the 'next level'. How do I get it? How much is it? Etc.?

I was not involved in the financial side. But we had 7 units and it was, if I remember correctly, around 1200 for the data usage for all units then there was a rental fee and insurance per unit.

Very reasonable from talking with the developer.

Last edited:

KyleMurray

Reaction
Desert trax.

This looks to be a great system. How does is operate? the screenshots on the website show it using the earthmate app, can it be used on a smartphone? Thanks!