Trixie, the Twin Turbo Ranger

TT347Ford

Reaction
Dyno didnt go great. But it also didn't go terrible! YAY

Seems that I have fixed the alternator and accessory bracket issues, tracks smooth as silk now (apart from a delaminated belt I had to swap out, it was obviously just very old, thanks again jones racing products)

Motor is quite a bit healthier than the old built by me one. Its demanding more air at RPM. The downside of that is we found the limit of the old TBI (holley terminator) system. Cylinder to cylinder distribution is WAY off, (ranged between 10 and 14.5 AFR between the two banks). We have also reached the max amount of fuel the tbi can inject. the AFR didn't drop at all when we added more fuel. Meaning we took the injector duty cycle from 70% to 90% and it didn't change the AFR run to run by anything measurable. In the Holley TBI it injects into these annular rings to more evenly disperse the fuel. I chalk it up to these rings not being big enough to flow the fuel. All of this was done on the lowest boost setting (5psi) so it would only get worse on higher levels. It only made 440whp because the distribution was so far off. and with no real way to fix that with this system I was pretty much stuck. The motor wont live long with those numbers so its not safe to continue driving like that. The good news is my fuel pump and supply system was rock solid at 60psi under boost the whole time, the motor stayed very cool, oil pressure and temp were also great. So its healthy and ready to eat!

Now for how I'm going to fix it. going to ditch the 80s chevy tech and join the 21rst century!

Multi port fuel injection manifold, LS 95MM throttle body, and some big boy injectors. Luckily holley has made this incredibly easy for me to accomplish. It will plug into my existing management system, all just bolt on parts. Everything (with a bit of luck) will be here by tomorrow, so I can throw it on this weekend. This will allow us to go pretty wild. I am very excited.

ERAEJfYh.jpg

a5BIKKuh.jpg

TT347Ford

Reaction
This is what i was running

its not REALLY meant for boost, I just got lucky the first time around that it worked ok. TBH it was never great. Couldn't really get it to idle properly. It always had problems going from full throttle to zero, it would try to die. Mostly because its a "wet plenum" design like a carb, so when you do quick throttle movements it doesn't actually respond immediately with fuel, it takes a fraction of a second to atomize, and then when you chop the throttle closed there is still a bunch of leftover fuel in the intake, making it super rich for a second.

luckily Holley has some universal harnesses for the HP system. for example you plug into the harness with a separate coil harness that "adapts" to whatever coils you are running. Same goes for the injector harness.

Here is the full parts list im using:

Intake:

Main Harness:

Injector harness:

Coils and harness I already have:

throttle body (ill steal the TPS, MAP, and IAC from my Terminator throttle body):

Injectors:

TT347Ford

Reaction
Dyno was a success! But Trixie made us work for it.

New intake

lXBj5hZh.jpg

Old one off

AiRj3JJh.jpg

New one on

zLBG162h.jpg

had to realign the upper manifold to line up with the intercooler. Yes i know the merge is ugly, but I was completely out of time.

YaZiNT5h.jpg

zkWML5Ch.jpg

And Dyno results! This was about 14.5PSI. I still have the rotary switch that I can select power levels. Lowest level on 5psi makes about 5psi and 470whp. each level increases boost

pOscg2Gh.jpg

WoD7tldh.jpg

And some videos

gsuty17

Reaction
What a great build! I'm very impressed at how dense you've managed to keep everything! I am building a new engine and am very curious about racing with turbos. I've been under the impression you couldn't have forced induction in most classes, has that been an issue for you? Sweet truck man!

TT347Ford

Reaction
What a great build! I'm very impressed at how dense you've managed to keep everything! I am building a new engine and am very curious about racing with turbos. I've been under the impression you couldn't have forced induction in most classes, has that been an issue for you? Sweet truck man!
Na they got rid of most of the "no power adders" for the unlimited classes including 1400. BITD I wont be able to race class 8 but I dont really have BITD money so thats all good for now!

TT347Ford

Reaction
Post Dyno got the truck mostly buttoned up and ready to run. Took it out to ocotillo on my birthday weekend and had a blast ripping around.

The thing absolutely smokes rear tires. Id be surprised if I get 500 miles of full tilt driving out of them. It just skates around on full throttle the whole time no matter what speed you are going. Its a pretty awesome problem to have honestly

YmtIGqwh.jpg

vK7xRyLh.jpg

4XPPs1Qh.jpg

1HVbw4Bh.jpg

Videos of playing on Devils slide:

Developed a pretty good vibration in the driveline towards the end of the weekend. Dove in to it when I got back and found the weight missing off the drive shaft.

VbxktHPh.jpg

Then upon further inspection, found it was actually twisted a smidge! Not very surprising but needs to be addressed.

A6uAKtrh.jpg

Slapped the spare shaft in and loaded up for Johnson Valley for New Years! Did great other than some leaks that I need to fix.

Ra4DQkUh.jpg

Until I ran out of talent and hit a rock. It was kinda hidden so I dont feel that bad about it.

S7ap0Rqh.jpg

CM6qJowh.jpg

Broke the beam and peeled off a beadlock ring. It didnt even pop the tire or bend the rim. It should not have broken. Should have just been able to throw on a spare and keep moving. QMS agreed the design was sub par and is redesigning them and providing a new beam set. Going to take this opportunity to fix all the leaks (power steering, coolant, and the bypasses) and do some refinement on everything. BFG also isnt selling 37" KR3s anymore so I either switch to Toyo or go 40s... hmmm decisions!

TT347Ford

Reaction
Got the ranger going back together with 40s and fixed beams!

YbKj5xBh.jpg

sFOPR4zh.jpg

8bvdHcEh.jpg

aZrGXyLh.jpg

unglG5dh.jpg

Also pulled the trigger on a BEAUTIFUL Vimetal trailer. 28ft, loaded. 50gal Fuel station and all the goodies including a spare axle under the deck. Attention to detail on these things is unmatched. Cant wait to take it out.

OPBGYPsh.jpg

HnQrmX3h.jpg

c3fm9I9h.jpg

jwHltjuh.jpg

ZatHjuCh.jpg

lSzodKOh.jpg

2qOrepjh.jpg

XifmyWuh.jpg

TT347Ford

Reaction
Starting on getting body panels on this thing. Ended up with Fiberworks but these are definitely not made to fit 40s. Toying around with the idea of spacing them off the body and making some trick aluminum ducting that will funnel air towards the rear shocks to aid in cooling. Anybody worked with an aluminum fab guy in san diego county?

JoUDSgRh.jpg

6D6vFych.jpg

J0OR9Rzh.jpg

0uFT0rBh.jpg

Also I twisted the spare driveshaft (second one so far) so its time to upgrade. Hope I can make a 1480 fit but its offering some challenges finding the correct output adapter for my C6 trans which has a 1 3/8" 10 Spline output shaft. This one is close, but it looks like the sealing OD is about 0.01 inches Larger. Could probably trim it down, but I would prefer to go with a regular yoke, not a flange. Just one more thing to fail right?

p6uEL4kh.png

TT347Ford

Reaction
Scott Kell @alloy studios. He is on the high end of aluminum. Login • Instagram
Scott is no longer taking on jobs as he just started working for Vildosola racing :(
CRM is looking like 6 months+ out before taking on new jobs. DANGIT! guess I'll try my hand at making this thing myself and if it turns out like garbage, I'll hop on CRMs waitlist.

TT347Ford

Reaction
Sourced a 1480 trans yoke from High Angle Driveline, guy was really cool, was raving about how the C6 is a much better option than the TH400 since it actually has a bearing in the output, vrs the busing in the TH400. The trans ended up being a 1 3/8" 10 spline output shaft, little small for my liking, but its a 300m unit from Culhane so hopefully its ok. I'm sure the Reid case 400 has a bearing now, but its cool to know those little details. I'm still hopeful this C6 will stand up to the power level, only time will tell.

TT347Ford

Reaction
Been busy working on other things and found out I a tore a ligament in my shoulder so that kinda sucks/is slowing things down. But still plugging away at stuff.

Got the Yoke, much better. To those that said a 1350 joint is totally fine just remember I'm running somewhere close to 1000hp and now have 40s. There is a reason the TTs go for the 1480s :). And I hadn't broken a U-joint yet probably because I haven't driven it in real anger yet with the spicy new tune. The trips i twisted the driveshaft on were just regular old desert runs, not really pushing it.

gbj1837h.jpg

4G1UVcph.jpg

Got my new alumiduty all styled out with a new (to me) 110W kenwood, and this fancy (overpriced) antenna mount.

h6aeD9Jh.jpg

I recently linked up with the Cantina Racing boys and am gonna be helping them out for the San Felipe 250, and possibly some other mexico races this year. Super rad group of guys, goal is to soak up as much knowledge as I can

Mason AWD truck we get to play with:

njt0jRTh.jpg

DsiXNkjh.jpg

ID designs 2WD truck that they are also running in SF.

smXhdMFh.jpg

Some cool pit/Chase ideas I already learned:

SkV8xmdh.jpg

bHELo7jh.jpg

TT347Ford

Reaction
My roommate Thomas got his 6100 chassis all finished up, and it was time to bring it home for assembly. Luckily I've got access to some sweet ass equipment with the business so we made quick work of it on Sunday. Got it in my garage and it makes my truck look like a Jalopy. So stoked!

Ill snag some more pictures tonight, the thing is flawless. Thomas is a hell of a fabricator and welder.

T4dv4meh.jpg

5e830dxh.jpg

0NYzTGxh.jpg

Xz8CHSPh.jpg

Qp0U8fCh.jpg

reGkI1lh.jpg

2fwdFVWh.jpg

RtrdTiWh.jpg

FQM1SB2h.jpg