Trixie, the Twin Turbo Ranger

TT347Ford

Reaction
Dyno didnt go great. But it also didn't go terrible! YAY

Seems that I have fixed the alternator and accessory bracket issues, tracks smooth as silk now (apart from a delaminated belt I had to swap out, it was obviously just very old, thanks again jones racing products)

Motor is quite a bit healthier than the old built by me one. Its demanding more air at RPM. The downside of that is we found the limit of the old TBI (holley terminator) system. Cylinder to cylinder distribution is WAY off, (ranged between 10 and 14.5 AFR between the two banks). We have also reached the max amount of fuel the tbi can inject. the AFR didn't drop at all when we added more fuel. Meaning we took the injector duty cycle from 70% to 90% and it didn't change the AFR run to run by anything measurable. In the Holley TBI it injects into these annular rings to more evenly disperse the fuel. I chalk it up to these rings not being big enough to flow the fuel. All of this was done on the lowest boost setting (5psi) so it would only get worse on higher levels. It only made 440whp because the distribution was so far off. and with no real way to fix that with this system I was pretty much stuck. The motor wont live long with those numbers so its not safe to continue driving like that. The good news is my fuel pump and supply system was rock solid at 60psi under boost the whole time, the motor stayed very cool, oil pressure and temp were also great. So its healthy and ready to eat!

Now for how I'm going to fix it. going to ditch the 80s chevy tech and join the 21rst century!

Multi port fuel injection manifold, LS 95MM throttle body, and some big boy injectors. Luckily holley has made this incredibly easy for me to accomplish. It will plug into my existing management system, all just bolt on parts. Everything (with a bit of luck) will be here by tomorrow, so I can throw it on this weekend. This will allow us to go pretty wild. I am very excited.

TT347Ford

Reaction
This is what i was running

its not REALLY meant for boost, I just got lucky the first time around that it worked ok. TBH it was never great. Couldn't really get it to idle properly. It always had problems going from full throttle to zero, it would try to die. Mostly because its a "wet plenum" design like a carb, so when you do quick throttle movements it doesn't actually respond immediately with fuel, it takes a fraction of a second to atomize, and then when you chop the throttle closed there is still a bunch of leftover fuel in the intake, making it super rich for a second.

luckily Holley has some universal harnesses for the HP system. for example you plug into the harness with a separate coil harness that "adapts" to whatever coils you are running. Same goes for the injector harness.

Here is the full parts list im using:

Intake:

Main Harness:

Injector harness:

Coils and harness I already have:

throttle body (ill steal the TPS, MAP, and IAC from my Terminator throttle body):

Injectors:

TT347Ford

Reaction
Dyno was a success! But Trixie made us work for it.

New intake

Old one off

New one on

had to realign the upper manifold to line up with the intercooler. Yes i know the merge is ugly, but I was completely out of time.

And Dyno results! This was about 14.5PSI. I still have the rotary switch that I can select power levels. Lowest level on 5psi makes about 5psi and 470whp. each level increases boost

And some videos

gsuty17

Reaction
What a great build! I'm very impressed at how dense you've managed to keep everything! I am building a new engine and am very curious about racing with turbos. I've been under the impression you couldn't have forced induction in most classes, has that been an issue for you? Sweet truck man!

TT347Ford

Reaction
What a great build! I'm very impressed at how dense you've managed to keep everything! I am building a new engine and am very curious about racing with turbos. I've been under the impression you couldn't have forced induction in most classes, has that been an issue for you? Sweet truck man!
Na they got rid of most of the "no power adders" for the unlimited classes including 1400. BITD I wont be able to race class 8 but I dont really have BITD money so thats all good for now!

TT347Ford

Reaction
Post Dyno got the truck mostly buttoned up and ready to run. Took it out to ocotillo on my birthday weekend and had a blast ripping around.

The thing absolutely smokes rear tires. Id be surprised if I get 500 miles of full tilt driving out of them. It just skates around on full throttle the whole time no matter what speed you are going. Its a pretty awesome problem to have honestly

Videos of playing on Devils slide:

Developed a pretty good vibration in the driveline towards the end of the weekend. Dove in to it when I got back and found the weight missing off the drive shaft.

Then upon further inspection, found it was actually twisted a smidge! Not very surprising but needs to be addressed.

Slapped the spare shaft in and loaded up for Johnson Valley for New Years! Did great other than some leaks that I need to fix.

Until I ran out of talent and hit a rock. It was kinda hidden so I dont feel that bad about it.

Broke the beam and peeled off a beadlock ring. It didnt even pop the tire or bend the rim. It should not have broken. Should have just been able to throw on a spare and keep moving. QMS agreed the design was sub par and is redesigning them and providing a new beam set. Going to take this opportunity to fix all the leaks (power steering, coolant, and the bypasses) and do some refinement on everything. BFG also isnt selling 37" KR3s anymore so I either switch to Toyo or go 40s... hmmm decisions!