Trixie, the Twin Turbo Ranger

TT347Ford

Reaction
Got some Minor progress on the truck in-between helping Cantina Racing and Deathwish Racing. All this super awesome trophy truck stuff definitely lit a fire under my ass again.

Updated Tire Carrier for FODEEZ. Surprisingly that's the only thing I had to change to fit the big meats. Front clears everything by about an inch or more.

HOrBUFoh.jpg

New Race radio in the alumiduty.

ms3Bv5Dh.jpg

Fitting Glass is gonna be REAL interesting...

F3fOD9Yh.jpg

DDaIRDCh.jpg

Garage lookin real proper with all these sweet rigs stacked in there.

9VB4YAqh.jpg

Aa9pl5Dh.jpg

Lke02Cdh.jpg

SoddXvUh.jpg

6JrLWtLh.jpg

TT347Ford

Reaction
Worked on replacing the temp radiator lines with aluminum lines. Should add a small amount of cooling and be easier to package. This was the easy side and it took all day saturday to get it right. Now on to the front which is gonna suck. Basically the goal is to eliminate a bunch of the connectors and have a nice smooth flowing setup. going to use those rubber isolators between the two tubes and the little weld on hose clamp mounts to connect them to the frame.

1PpVHPBh.jpg

6gZ0vw9h.jpg

Made a new steering swinger because I noticed the driver side one was bent after the boulder incident. checked the sector shaft on the box to make sure I didnt twist that to, all good. 1/4" chromo cut out on my plasma table. One serious downside to the plasma table is it makes the metal super hard on the cuts (Way more so than cold rolled or A36), so drill bits and reamers do jack squat to clean up those holes.

hiBiBWRh.jpg

tDl989vh.jpg

Qn92tRjh.jpg

TT347Ford

Reaction
Had a flawless weekend out in Joshua tree! It was a great time, other than a minor mishap involving a Dodge driving where he should be and a blown 22re.

Motorhome Flossin! Finally got it back from the repair shop, no longer dumping oil out the back

NfyZ2eEh.jpg

O78ikeGh.jpg

Flexin on Foodeez

h9k7kuVh.jpg

ytdWAkhh.jpg

Found a sweet ass jump. Tom, Ren and I all took turns hitting it.

99vAxSGh.jpg

ysNnQTth.jpg

IkHV6HHh.jpg

hakjnoAh.jpg

Videos:

TT347Ford

Reaction
First off, HUGE congrats to Larry Roeseler and Cantina Racing/Baja Jerky for winning the Baja 500 overall! The Roberts Off Road Racing Team with me as Crew Chief took care of pit one for both trucks, 43 and 40. We setup at race mile 161 near Rancho Coyote Melling, and were tasked with replacing both rear tires, filling up fuel (about 100-110 gallons), getting food and Gatorade to the driver/codriver, checking the driveline, check front tires/beadlock bolts/tie rods, and check the skid plate for leaks. We had the slightly older/slower fueling setup that takes about 45 seconds to fill, so the goal was to get the truck out in as close to that as possible. We managed it in 59 seconds, so we still got some work to do, but I felt great about it seeing how it was the first time for most of the pit one team.

On the air jack: Max, on rear tires: Ren and Sam, Fuel Safety cutoff: Sharp, Fuel: Jake aka Jeffe, Start/Stop and checks: Me. Had a few of the spanish speaking security guards for the team on fire extinguishers and feeding tires, so that was interesting with the language barrier, and the Media guys were all up in our poop so that def didnt help either.

After all the 500 excitement its time to get the truck ready to race again. We are going to the MORE Glen Helen race (short course) on July 25th. Its basically just a big party race so if any of you want to cruise out the deets are here: M.O.R.E. - Mojave Off Road Racing Enthusiasts - GG Lighting Freedom Cup

Started on the fiberglass. As predicted there isnt a whole lot of hood left after trimming for 40s and turbos. Instagram peeps suggested a grill which is a great idea, Ill try to get that in there, and maybe some F150 headlight lenses to make the front look a little more finished.

mZx1FZXh.jpg

xdxpgvuh.jpg

j4aF2duh.jpg

mJ84xBFh.jpg

jon coleman

Reaction
has anyone in desert racing ran a turbo And a super charger, like the grp b renaults?, seems that would be the hot ticket ,peak hp And low end torque

TT347Ford

Reaction
has anyone in desert racing ran a turbo And a super charger, like the grp b renaults?, seems that would be the hot ticket ,peak hp And low end torque

These little spooley boys have VERY little lag. I have a 3500 stall converter, and they start building boost at like 3000. You dont get the initial "snap" when you blip the throttle like you would with big cube motor, but this little guy still makes 500hp N/A. I could see it being a bigger deal later down the road when people are putting smaller motors with more boost. At that point I think an electrically driven turbo (Volvo has one?) would be great to make sure you keep a few PSI on tap for when you want to brap brap past the photographers!

All that does is build heat.

Single turbo is where it's at. Power right off the bottom from 1800 and up. Not trying to hi-jack this thread either.

This is a common misconception, you can make 2 turbos act the same as a bigger single, especially now with the THOUSANDS of turbo options on the market. Some people argue that two smaller turbos will spool faster than a single due to decreased rotational inertia. I think I agree with that, but probably minimally impacts it compared to having spec'ed out the right size turbo/wheels/housings. A turbo that spools up at 1800 will typically run out of steam up top, especially on a motor that revs to 7000rpm like mine. These open desert trucks are running loose converters so you really don't want boost to build that low, its restricting flow too much up top.

jon coleman

Reaction
i guess just let HRC figure it out, the factory loves to blow up engine$👍edit, it looks like a S load of combinations to formulate for the optimum off road power band, skys the limmit on combos,👍

Last edited:

Argentino

Reaction
These little spooley boys have VERY little lag. I have a 3500 stall converter, and they start building boost at like 3000. You dont get the initial "snap" when you blip the throttle like you would with big cube motor, but this little guy still makes 500hp N/A. I could see it being a bigger deal later down the road when people are putting smaller motors with more boost. At that point I think an electrically driven turbo (Volvo has one?) would be great to make sure you keep a few PSI on tap for when you want to brap brap past the photographers!

This is a common misconception, you can make 2 turbos act the same as a bigger single, especially now with the THOUSANDS of turbo options on the market. Some people argue that two smaller turbos will spool faster than a single due to decreased rotational inertia. I think I agree with that, but probably minimally impacts it compared to having spec'ed out the right size turbo/wheels/housings. A turbo that spools up at 1800 will typically run out of steam up top, especially on a motor that revs to 7000rpm like mine. These open desert trucks are running loose converters so you really don't want boost to build that low, its restricting flow too much up top.
It's your thread. I'll just leave it alone.

TT347Ford

Reaction
It's your thread. I'll just leave it alone.

Alright dude no sweat, I don't mind having a discussion about it. I'm always down to talk about horsepower.

My source for information relayed here: How To Select A Turbo Part 1 - Garrett Motion Garrett Motion

"With target horsepower defined we need to figure out if we want a twin or single turbo setup. Both types can make the power efficiently and with great response. Sometimes engine space is a major factor and all you can do is fit two smaller turbos. Or maybe the manifold you have purchased only comes in a single turbo configuration. The decision is yours to analyze and make based mostly on budgets and availability of components."