Trophy Bear

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
As much as I love racing, I am always interested in hearing what everybody does for other hobbies that are completely outside of racing. When I’m not racing, I enjoy hunting, fishing, and the outdoors in general, with a passion. This story has a little bit to do with racing, because I had to make a choice. Either go to the races in New York and help my two good buddies (Ross Hoek #210 and Rod Wells #834) on the radio, or stay home and prepare for my first bear hunt here in Michigan. It was by no means an easy decision, but I decided to stay home and prepare. I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past 6 years to get a tag for a bear hunt. About 4 years ago Michigan started using a points preference system to help in drawing a tag. So, I finally got a tag this year, and my hunt started on Sept. 15th, the day after we would be returning from the CORR race out in New York.

So here he is, my first trophy bear. It was the opening night of my hunt, Sept. 15th. I got to the blind and baited as usual at 5:30 and was sitting by 5:45. At 6:30 a sow with two yearling cubs came in and ate and played around for about five minutes or so. The whole time she was in there I was trying to judge her and take note of how big she was, figuring she was between 125-150 lbs. At 7:30 this big bruin came in. I knew right away he was bigger than she had been, taller, fatter, thicker, belly hanging down and what appeared to be a small head in proportion to his body. I figured he was at least 200+ (which was my goal for a first bear). The safety came off and I waited for a shot. He milled around for about 5 minutes and checked the air, but I had the wind. Eventually he made it back to the bait station but was looking head on at me so I waited, and calmed my nerves. Finally, he pulled the stump back towards himself and then had to turn broadside to get to the feed. And that was my shot. With a 30-06 Browning Auto shooting 180 gr Winchester Fail Safe bullets. He dropped right there and it was all over in about 3 seconds. I managed to get the whole experience on video too. He dropped at 7:41 and was hanging in the cooler by 10:30. The big guy dressed out at 291 lbs. The DNR figures he was just over 350 live weight. He is by no means a State record, but he's a trophy to me. (State average is just over 165 lbs, and record is around 550 lbs.)

It was a very exciting experience to say the least.

Bill "The Bear Hunter" Schmitt

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Here is another photo with my son.

Sorry you can't see the RDC stickers on the truck, they are on the side windows.

motoxscott

Reaction
Bill, don't take this as a personal attack on you because it is not.

I have never understood the whole point of hunting for the sake of gaming. What satisfaction do you get shooting down a defenseless animal, where is the challange? How would you feel if you and your family were hunted down?

I think we as people have done enough damage to our enviroment and are just ruining it for future generations. Why do people assume this world belongs to us, when in fact it doesn't?

Just thought I would throw my opinion out there. Bill I'm not saying you think or feel this way, it was more of a general statement.

I guess I'm just one of many that don't get hunting.

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
I agree with Scott, gunning down a animal while he is feeding is hardly a challenge. If you are going to hunt, at least make it a challenge where the hunter's putting his ass on the line as well. Something like boar hunting with a dog and a knife, and a sidearm as a last resort if you get into a bad situation. Once again, not a personal attack.

sirhk100

Reaction
There are rules and regulation to control animal population. Some hunting is actually allowed for animal population control. And, Most hunters use the animal. I'm not really going to get into it though. I think the anti-hunting thing is a So-Cal thing. I don't hunt but I do support it.

Khris

hoeker

Reaction
OH BOY! Here we go again!

nice job on the bear bill! i missed you spotting last weekend although my dad did a pretty good job. i think rod needed your help a little more as he put his on it's lid. oops. any way i think i would have skipped the race for a chance at my first bear too. well done on making sure you had good size bear and not some cub running around.

for those of you stepping up on the soapbox, i don't hunt, but have, for me it's just a matter of priorities, racing is first. for bill it's his family, then fishing and hunting and in the summer helping out racing as a great spotter. don't even start on needless waste of life, "how would you feel if you were hunted?" come on, get real! the DNR monitors bear and deer permits very heavily, every permit issued is expected to produce a needed kill to keep the balance in the environment. you have every right to not believe in hunting but give the guy a break, he's pretty proud of his first bear, i would be, so would you; let him have his moment.

ross hoek
CORR #210

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I agree with the others. I don't see the thrill or enjoyment in going out there and killing a defenseless animal. Do you feel better about yourself that you were able to kill a defenseless bear that probably never saw you coming? I bet your son was really impressed! How would you like it if you were out playing with your son and some bear came up behing you and attacked and killed you right in front of him? Why don't you at least be a man and kill it in a noble way like with a bow an arrow or a knife? Or would then you not be as tuff as you want others to believe?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So here he is, my first trophy bear. It was the opening night of my hunt, Sept. 15th. I got to the blind and baited as usual at 5:30 and was sitting by 5:45. At 6:30 a sow with two yearling cubs came in and ate and played around for about five minutes or so. The whole time she was in there I was trying to judge her and take note of how big she was, figuring she was between 125-150 lbs

[/ QUOTE ]

How cool, your killing bear families now! I bet your son was real proud...

Sorry to be so harsh, but I think it is pretty f'd up and pointless.

Let the games begin....

hxckidd

Reaction
i am with all the so cal people and dont agree with it at all. But does everyone have to rip on him? He was simply asking what everyone elses hobbys are. What if you were to post your hobbies are you really looking for people to say that is gay??? to each thier own.

Eric_M

Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If you are going to hunt, at least make it a challenge where the hunter's putting his ass on the line as well. Something like boar hunting with a dog and a knife, and a sidearm as a last resort if you get into a bad situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

how about this. my unkle donnie lives in jacksonhole wyoming. he is a hunting, fishing, snow mobile guide. which ever season is runing, hes guiding it. he hunts bears both with a rifle and a bow. durring archery season you are NOT allowed to have ANY sort of side arm on you.... AT ALL. the only thing protrcting you from that big friggen bear is your bow. and i have a storyto tell. my uncle was stalking this bear (sorry i dont honestly remember grizzly, brown.. whatever they have in wyoming) he spent a good portion of the day stalking this bear. he finally got to a rock about 15 yards.... yes thats 45 feet!!! 45 feet with a bow and arow, no side arm! he looked over the rock to get a look at the bear but when he saw the bear, the bear was looking directly at him. as my uncle said "it was like he was looking right through me" so he ducked behind the rock fearing his days were numbered..... he then heard the bear rustling around and moaning, i guess you would call it, so he took another look over the rock to see what was going on. when he looked over the rock, the bear was laying on its side, with all 4 legs up in the air, and a perfect shot for the heart, needless to say, he took the shot, and droped a bear that stood 6' 2" tall, and was 1" from being a state record. i also didnt mention the rock he was hiding behind was barely big enough for him to hide his head behind (about 12-15" tall.

now having said that... bear vs a bow and arrow.... no side arm. does that count for puting the hunters ass on the line?

BTW, my hobbies outside of this board and off roading are: hunting, fishing, BMX riding, and working on my truck.

motoxscott

Reaction
Hey Ross...........No one is on a soap box here. I stated my opinion just like you just did. It wasn't an attack on Bill, I'm sure Bill probably doesnt even care what I think. I just stated that I don't get hunting.

Since someone else brought up population control ... here's an opinon I have on that .... Since we are over developing and moving into rural territories and forcing animals out of their natural habitat we are the ones creating higher density of animals in a given area, and we are the ones that say it is crowded and over populated because of it. I know this doesnt apply to every situation.

I get tired of hearing about yuppy house wives complaining that their are animals in their neighborhood and that they need to be hunted. You know what, you moved there not the animals. They were there way before any of us.

Like I said before, this isn't directed towards anyone specifically, just a general opinion. We are allowed to have those right?

-Scott

hxckidd

Reaction
no i dont think you are allowed to think scott. lol how about we go on a dr crew yuppy housewife hunting expedition?? We kill all the yuppies that dont like wildlife. Sounds like fun to me.

sirhk100

Reaction
Scott do you live in a tree house? My parents consistantly have Bobcats run across their Porch. They think it's cool. The cat just has to stay in doors. I've often wanted to shoot the damn rabbits up there cause they drive me crazy trying to run under my tires while I drive up the drive way...

Stop the killing &amp; fishing, turn Vegan!!!

<font color="blue"> This is just poking fun, don't take offense!!!</font color>

Yup, I still don't mind hunting!!!

motoxscott

Reaction
Khris ........ I'd like to live in a tree house in the tree bar at Primm ....

Eric_M

Reaction
i agree with the population and moving into rural areas and people having run-ins with animals. but did anyone ever come to think that the human race has a breeding problem.... IMO i think this world is over populated, there are just too many damn people in this world. i hate seeing what california has become since i was born..... my city went from being a relatively small, clean city to basicly s**t in 17years, its gone down hill like a rock falling downa cliff. i live in Vista, and it sucks here, too many people.... thats my opinion, so there.

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
I knew before I posted my story, that I would probably get some flak from some anti-hunters, and that's ok. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. I too, am not attacking you or anyone else so don't take it that way either. The post was also to hear about what other peoples hobbies are in case some of you missed that.

Where should I start? I was born and raised a hunter and I'm very proud of that fact. As a child (9 yrs old) I enjoyed hunting because it was cool (to me and my friends anyway) and it was a way of life. But I understand my role as a hunter much differently these days. First off, let me say I have the utmost respect for all wildlife as well as our environment. And even though we all have the RIGHT to hunt, I also think of it as a privilege and an honor to be able to hunt, whether as sport or for sustenance, as our forefathers did through all of history. Upon harvesting any animal, I always take a moment to honor the animal, and thank it and God in a little prayer for making it all possible.

This is just one example, but I also believe it's the responsibility of hunters to help the state wildlife commission in controlling population's of all species. Hunters play an important role in controlling populations, especially where I live. There are areas here in Upper Michigan and Wisconsin where we have well over 100+ deer per square mile. If those populations were not controlled through hunting, that number would first skyrocket to who knows how high (400+??), the land would not be able to support that kind of number, and we would end up with sick diseased animals, which could spread to cattle and other animals, or an over population of predators, so on and so forth you've probably heard this story before. I for one believe it, and will continue to do my part as a hunter.

As for the challenge, believe me there is plenty of challenge involved. If you think that it's easy and there isn't any challenge in hunting anything, you should try it and see just how far you get. I don't care if your hunting deer, bear, elk, coyotes, bobcat, pheasant, quail, turkey, bass, walleye, trout or whatever, with a gun, bow, knife, spear, stick, hook, net whatever. Every animal out there has about 10x the eyesight we humans have, they have 10x the ability to smell that we humans have, and most all have 10x the hearing ability we humans have. So don't think for a second that just because I carry a gun or a bow into the woods, I have a huge advantage over the prey. I don't. Not to mention the fact that (except for the polar bear who has no known predators) all these animals, even if they are classified as a predator, survive also as being the prey. In other words the live 24/7/365 to survive. Let me say it again,THEY LIVE TO SURVIVE. Even with the utmost of dedication and participation, I won't spend but maybe 2% of my time in the woods in a single year trying to hunt. My point is, even with all the fancy gadgets you could imagine, the animals - all animals, still have the advantage.

I know this is a huge debate and I could go on and on, but I will spare you all and stop my preaching. Besides, I'm not out to convert anyone, and I apologize if anyone was offended.

...But as a matter of fact my son was quite proud and that made me feel even better, and I hope that some day he grows up to be a hunter as well, and carries on the tradition that a lot of you obviously have no experience or knowledge or appreciation of.

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
you may disagree with his hobby, but its a free country last time i checked and what he did was perfectly legal. this whole debate is pointless.

TDORSloppy

Reaction
Poor defenseless animal, huh?
What do you call the cow thats in your McDonald hamburger?
Or the turkey you eat for thanksgiving?
People kill defenseless animals everyday and there no difference to me if its for sport or profit, the animal is dead.

Hunting is a sport that takes skill and knowledge. Our anisistors(sp?) hunted for two reasons 1. to provide food for themselves 2. because its nature in its purest form. Ever hear of something called the food chain? Yeah, well guess what, we're at the top. And I'm sick of all you hippies out there that [I am uneducated] and moan when someone kills a bear for sport and then cruises down to In-N-Out or whereever and eats "a poor defenseless cow" that someone else killed to make a profit. At least the bear won't be ground up into bits and pieces.

I do agree that humans have an advantage over its prey with guns. But who really wants to chuck a spear at a deer that can run 35 MPH or shoot a bow at a 500 lb bear. I guess the reality is that God made humans smart to become efficent, and thats why humans invented guns. And as a by-product humans kill other humans with guns. It's definately wrong to take another man's life and this creates the idea in most people that killing anything is wrong. That's Bull$hit. Ever tried a Boca Burger? or Tofu? I have, and it wasn't pretty. All in all, the food chain is here for a reason and if you don't like go suck on a carrot.

tkr

Reaction
I'm not a hunter and didn't particularly enjoy seeing this post, but you guys are out of control! If you don't like it, don't look at it. And if you want to express you opinions about it, start your own thread and quit hijacking his!!