@@@Trophy Kart won't Start@@@

Stinky Gas

Reaction
I just picked up a used Trophy Kart but it won't start now. I had it running the other day but now it won't. I have spark, Fuel, and kill switch is on. I noticed another wire by the oil dip stick just dangling. What is that wire? I adjusted the throttle cable and zip tyed the kill switch to the roll bar, that is it. Ever since, it won't start. It is the stock Subaru motor.

Any help is appreciated!

sl1111

Reaction
May seem like a long shot, but this same thing just happened to me with an LS1. I am doing some re-wiring and zip tied the ignition switch to the chassis cross bar. I went to move the car and it would not start and blew a fuse. Found the switch was grounding to the chassis. Move it away from the chassis and see what happens......

Desert_Tech

Reaction
A couple of things you can try would be:

1 - Try using starter fluid -
2 - If you're still not sure about the Kill Switch - unplug it from the motor, which means you won't be able to use the switch to turn the engine off if it starts, so you'll need to manually cover the carb with you're hand to stop the engine.
3 - Check the needle screws on the carburator - If it's the Tollison (SP?)Close needle adjustments on the outside of carb all the way, then open 1 and 1/2 turn each on low and high as your baseline starting point.

That other wire hanging down is not used by the TrophyKart it came that way from Subaru, but Trophkarts don't use it.

Stinky Gas

Reaction
A couple of things you can try would be:

3 - Check the needle screws on the carburator - If it's the Tollison (SP?)Close needle adjustments on the outside of carb all the way, then open 1 and 1/2 turn each on low and high as your baseline starting point.

That other wire hanging down is not used by the TrophyKart it came that way from Subaru, but Trophkarts don't use it.
Thank You! We tried the other two suggestions right away but no luck. I will try the third.

Stinky Gas

Reaction
see if you pulled off the wires to the coil...
Thanks! I was going to check that but I thought it would be fine since we have spark. If the wires are off the coil, would I still have a spark?

James

John F2000

Reaction
Try leaving everything intact, including the kill switch. Take the filter off the end of the carb, with the help of another person have them put there hand over the carb, inlet, leaving little space between fingers. Then the other person pull start the the engine. Do this with the kill switch in the off position for 5 pulls or so. Then turn the ignition switch on repeat same sequence with hand over carb while pulling the starter. It most likely will start. Once it fires a little it will start without your hand over the carb.

Two things happen on these. First and foremost there is no choke. So you are making a manual choke.

Second, when you place your hand over the carb the pulse generated back to the fuel pump is stronger plus the additional vac created pulls thru the fuel system and helps prime everything a little. But mainly its a choke issue.

Last but not least, the fuel pumps do go bad on these. They dont require a fuel pump if the tank is located above the carb. So you can plug off the vac line going from the manifold to the fuel pump and run a straight fuel line from the tank to the carb. just make sure if you remove the fuel pump always turn your fuel off when not running or you will hydraulic lock the motor with fuel running down into the engine

Most likely you will get it to start doing this.

Good luck....

Pro-Lite Brian

Reaction
The low oil level sensor was plugged in... That's the loose wire coming from the fan shroud at the base of the block behind the seat. Leave it disconnected, or the ignition will be grounded every time oil sloshes away from the sensor! These engines don't rely on oil pressure, they are lubed by a mist of oil created by the rod splashing the oil...