Trophy Truck front stabilizer.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
RDC Crypto
Website
www.canonbaja.com
I noticed that Bob Shepard's Trophy Truck is running a front stabilizer, this is the first time that I have seen this on a TT, is this a new thing or do all Geiser TT's have them, or maybe they all have them and I never noticed? If not, why the change?

Attachments

• IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 869
  • IMG_2670.jpg
    IMG_2670.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 1,099

deleted

----
RDC Crypto
All of the newer raised roof Geiser trucks have a front sway bar on them... not sure what it does, but i think it helps out on the windy races. I was planning on taking ours off when we test next week to see what it does.

Advertising supports this site

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
RDC Crypto
Website
www.canonbaja.com
All of the newer raised roof Geiser trucks have a front sway bar on them... not sure what it does, but i think it helps out on the windy races. I was planning on taking ours off when we test next week to see what it does.

cool, thanks! I was looking through my pictures and I couldn't find any other TT with it, I don't have a close up of SMD's so I couldn't see yours, but most don't have them...

FABRICATOR

RDC Crypto
Must be either mild or progressive as sway bars in the front can induce a lot of tire drag (rolling resistance), especially in softer terrain.

A test might include cruising or coasting through a soft turn with and without. In the sand, they can feel like someone is applying the brakes.

durbish

RDC Crypto
I
it reducess a lot of body roll in the big suspension trucks... helps the truck turn
I understand how a swaybar works, but why the combination of "small" bar front and less rear bar = more traction, why not the other way around? what are TT's using now?

johnnyweb

RDC Crypto
Website
johnnyscustomautobody.com
if the rear suspesion of the truck flexs more the rear tires will say on the ground. the front end sway bar is a great idea. it will control way more body roll then a rear sway bar. look at stock truck most all come with front sway bar standard. but the rear sway bar is usually part of an optional package. thats my take on it anyway.

durbish

RDC Crypto
I would think a BIG rear bar would help set the truck or car up for turns better, it should increase over steer..... front bar would help too.... but more rear stiffest would help turn better... TT or car wouldn't push as much.... but I bet it makes for a harsh ride in the bumps. Do most TT have a front bar?

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
With a large bar in the rear and no front bar the back end slides much more. Also makes tuning the rear shocks more difficult in the cross grain as it's a large undamped spring. Swaybars are evil, the smaller bar you can get away with the better. Some rally cars are doing away with swaybars completly and going with crosslinked shocks. Unfortunantly, with the size of the shocks on a TT this is a little harder to do.

Switching from a large rear bar only to a smaller front rear combo will yeild the same body roll but much better cornering.

FABRICATOR

RDC Crypto
With a large bar in the rear and no front bar the back end slides much more. Also makes tuning the rear shocks more difficult in the cross grain as it's a large undamped spring. Swaybars are evil, the smaller bar you can get away with the better. Some rally cars are doing away with swaybars completly and going with crosslinked shocks. Unfortunantly, with the size of the shocks on a TT this is a little harder to do....
Yes, the entire concept of using stabilizer bars to control body roll on a Trophy Truck is a bunch of power and speed robbing antiquity that accomplishes less than half of what it should be doing. Crosslinking is a band-aid and still not what TT's need, the bigger the shocks the better. There is much potential in this area.

Samco Fab

RDC Crypto
With a large bar in the rear and no front bar the back end slides much more. Also makes tuning the rear shocks more difficult in the cross grain as it's a large undamped spring. Swaybars are evil, the smaller bar you can get away with the better. Some rally cars are doing away with swaybars completly and going with crosslinked shocks. Unfortunantly, with the size of the shocks on a TT this is a little harder to do.

Switching from a large rear bar only to a smaller front rear combo will yeild the same body roll but much better cornering.

Good to know that sway bars are from the DARK SIDE:eek:

Your point about sway bars in cross grain is an eye opener. And the other point brought up about rolling resistance in rough terrain is another great point. If you keep the sway bar rates low enough, wont the shock valving be enough to control the sway bar? What do you look for to see if your sway bar is causing problems in rough terrain?