Trophy truck lug pattern

Reaction
Alright guys and girls I am a newby and I have one question I haven't had answers for yet but what's the difference from trophy truck 6x5.5 and gm 6x5.5 I was looking for beadlocks for my 09 silverado pre runner I'm putting together and a lot of wheels on here are trophy trucks. Any info would help I am sorry for being a nube not much info I can get up in Wisconsin lol

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Most Trophy Trucks actually run 6x6.5, not 6x5.5. The wider bolt pattern allows for a bigger hub and spindle assembly, but they are quicker to change than an 8x6.5 wheel.

Reaction
Most Trophy Trucks actually run 6x6.5, not 6x5.5. The wider bolt pattern allows for a bigger hub and spindle assembly, but they are quicker to change than an 8x6.5 wheel.
Well thanks for the info some I've seen said 6x5.5 but won't fit gm trucks was just curious my guess at the time is the lugs are thicker

JDDurfey

Reaction
If I am not mistaken many race trucks use a "pilot" hub so they don't need to run an "acorn" style lug nut. They also use a 5/8" or larger stud instead of the 1/2" that most regular pickups use.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
5/8 on some 11/16 on others your choice just don't change your mind after 8 years of running one of them then switching to the other, my favorite was the day we went from 5x5.5 bolt circle to a 6x6.5 bolt circle then you toss in the big 5 buggy wheel then your pits look like a BFG support pit not to mention the chase trucks.....AHHH the good Ole days we should have called the race team "no its not it's those" or "I thought you had em"

JDDurfey

Reaction
Yeah, nothing like being in the middle of nowhere with a whole bunch of perfectly good spares and none of them fit! I've seen it several times in Baja.

I was on the side of the road with two bent trailer rims, only one trailer spare, but a Class 1 truggy on board with 4 spares for the truggy and 2 spares for the pick up. Not to mention it was dark and we were between Viscaino and San Ignacio. It was a borrowed trailer and i told the owner to make sure he brought me several spares, but he only brought me one! Never go to Baja unprepared!

Last edited:

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
AHHH yes how could I forget the trailers & chase trucks let's see the old standard 8 lug chevy, Dodge, early ford, trailer, New ford, toss in a 6 lug 1/2 ton GM, the 5 lug GM, a couple of 5 lug small bolt circle / large bolt circle trailers, the duel tire 1 tons, your buddy's 5 lug jeep, your girlfriends 1/2 ton ford (BTW the same), now to really confuse you the diffrent tire diameter / wheel combinations for each ride, now times that by 1 to 9 fuel pits = your head explodes. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat :)

Sorry about the hijack

Last edited:

Zambo

Reaction
Lol now this seems like a good time to ask if anybody knows where I can get one piece dually wheels to replace the split rims on my old dodge with the big 6 x 7.25 lug pattern. Go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Tobin

Reaction
At least they aren't using those goofy 7-lug Ford wheels!!!! Those were terrible!!!

mgobaja

Reaction
Several years ago , involved with a Pro-Truck team, the owner had his trailer tires / wheels the same size and lug pattern as his f-350, so all the spares were interchangeable. Pretty good idea it seemed.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
My light bulb just illuminated this morning the TT larry Ragland drove by the name of "Arnold" had a rear axel only pattern of 10 X 5.5 this was used because it had 10 hardened drive pins instead of 5 wheel studs, the "truck" hooked up so well with the mid engine design it would snap off ANY 5 X 11/16 wheel stud setup, the wheels were held to the drive hub with a aluminum cap over all 10 pins using a knockoff spinner holding the cap & wheel/tire to the drive hub. Thus causing another pile of tires & wheels, they would fit all of the class 8s on the team because you only needed 5 of the holes but the class 8 tire/wheels would not fit arnold.

Reaction
My light bulb just illuminated this morning the TT larry Ragland drove by the name of "Arnold" had a rear axel only pattern of 10 X 5.5 this was used because it had 10 hardened drive pins instead of 5 wheel studs, the "truck" hooked up so well with the mid engine design it would snap off ANY 5 X 11/16 wheel stud setup, the wheels were held to the drive hub with a aluminum cap over all 10 pins using a knockoff spinner holding the cap & wheel/tire to the drive hub. Thus causing another pile of tires & wheels, they would fit all of the class 8s on the team because you only needed 5 of the holes but the class 8 tire/wheels would not fit arnold.
Damn that's pretty confusing but also sounds like a pretty cool setup