Trophy Truck Question

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Dan McMillin posted about the Milk-n it Motorsports truck getting completed just in time for Parker. This got me thinking, it seems that Racer is selling trucks like crazy and there are a lot of them out there compared to two years ago but they have yet to win the bigger races. What has caused people to jump from Geiser or other builders out there?

It seems like when a truck is winning consistently in the past they get popular, Dale has been able to do it without results YET. Is it how fast they can build them, how well they handle, Price or maybe just a change from what others had? I don't think it will be very long before they sweep a podium at a race.

Are buyers driving the Weyhrich truck, the ID Designs etc first? I know Dan had a Geiser before so he had experience in that truck.

***I rewrote this three times, it sounds like I am slamming Racer. Please do not take it as that at all, just a question I had.

Reaction
Latest rumor I heard is that the Geisers have a number of customers awaiting new trucks.

Overall demand for TT's on an upswing?

Money is time?

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Racers want the newest widget and honestly there are a few solid builders out there everyone is watching...

For me I like both builders mentioned but I am a very firm believer in the Geiser package and they continue to dominate in most cases.

For me the drivability of the Geiser is out of the box easy and their unofficial tag line is "Chumps to Champs" because they are so easy to drive. Anyone can do it at 75% for 95% of the time.....it's the top 25% of speed that shows peoples inexperience 5% of the time.

My opinion is that we should be qualifying down the field at big races and charging for qualifying to make it even more important. Back to why people are picking what they pick...

I have followed most of the TT brands out there on the track at some point or another and I think the Geiser stays on the ground and doesn't deflect like a lot of the trucks. If you watch the videos, even of Parker qualifying, you can see many trucks step out from under the drivers and they have to gather them back up. Even if it's just a second off the gas and steering into the step out it's a second.

The manual transmission is interesting but not proven in my opinion, even if it's won races.

I still think the best truck for racing desert is the current Geiser platform but to each their own. We won't win qualifying but as long as you are in the fast train up front I'm not 100% convinced you need to be first qualifier. We don't change our entire drivetrain for qualifying and there's magic in there if you want it. We ran our same transmission etc for the Baja 100) that we qualified on and we ran up front on time some at the 1k and were in the first 3-5 most of the day.

NIKAL

Reaction
Regarding the Geiser trucks. I think the reason you see so many Geisers winning is due to quantity of trucks built and racing. Just like how Jimco seems to dominate the Buggy's classes. If 40%-50% of the field are driving a particular manufacture, then in most cases that is what you will see on the podium. Its a numbers thing.

Of the Geiser trucks that are or were winning, how many of them are actually running the "Geiser Package" under them? From what I have heard or seen, most of the winning Geiser's have been massaged and are running either that teams in-house components or have had shops like I.D Design's re-design or engineer the steering & suspension components.

facteryfmf

Reaction
I was told from a member of the Racer crew that they didn't like the Geiser weight which didn't allow them to turn like Racer could/will.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Assuming all trucks are prepped equal; 60% driver, 30% set up, 10% truck.

As Cameron said Racer is the new widget right now that everyone seems to want even though it really hasn't won a ton of racers compared to a Geiser. With Andy in a TSCO and already on the box in his first race that could be the start of everyone running to TSCO for a new TT.....

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I don't remember the thread but I recall someone doing the math regarding the Tt field and while the majority of wins/podiums were Geiser, the fact that they were so many of them entered it really made it seem like they were graded on a curve.

Aren't most peeps racing a Craig Hall Based design anyway? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyn4d21

Reaction
I don't remember the thread but I recall someone doing the math regarding the Tt field and while the majority of wins/podiums were Geiser, the fact that they were so many of them entered it really made it seem like they were graded on a curve.

Aren't most peeps racing a Craig Hall Based design anyway? Lol

Craig Hall does an awesome job at what he does not all the trucks are his designs he does what the customer wants or he reverse engineers what is already there to make production easier i know there are still a few major components that he still doesn't have of some builders

MC@ Performance Fab

Reaction
I've got a friend who spent an enormous amount of money at racer. He told me Dale has a gift for bulllshitting people with to much money, out of their money.

Samco Fab

Reaction
Regarding the Geiser trucks. I think the reason you see so many Geisers winning is due to quantity of trucks built and racing. Just like how Jimco seems to dominate the Buggy's classes. If 40%-50% of the field are driving a particular manufacture, then in most cases that is what you will see on the podium. Its a numbers thing.

Of the Geiser trucks that are or were winning, how many of them are actually running the "Geiser Package" under them? From what I have heard or seen, most of the winning Geiser's have been massaged and are running either that teams in-house components or have had shops like I.D Design's re-design or engineer the steering & suspension components.

At the Baja 1000, the lead pack of trucks were Geiser's, with at least half running the "package". Smart teams test and tune their own stuff, but it is hard to argue with what they deliver. This years Parker says a lot about them as well.

Of course there is a lot of ways to skin a cat, I am surprised there is not more trucks like the Vildosala truck out there. The Frank / Clark package seems really good, and is different than most others. I am using ideas for our 6100 revamp from the Frank / Clark trucks.

It is interestiing that Dale Dondel won in Laughlin a few years back in a Nye Frank truck.

You have to watch Armada and it is hard to argue with the ID package as well.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
It is interestiing that Dale Dondel won in Laughlin a few years back in a Nye Frank truck.

I was at the road crossing that year and Dondel absolutely smoked the field, reminded me of when TJ Flores also smoked the field in the v6 class 1.

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Sure there are a lot of Geisers but you may consider there is a good reason for this

Menzies, Jones, RPM, Mac, Joshy or even us could have bought something else....but we didn't. I can also tell you from experience that just because you go talk to Ricky doesn't mean he's going to ask for a deposit...you pretty much have to really want a truck and then force a check on them.

It is true that some teams have adjusted their widget.....the talk you guy are mentioning is a slight change in front geometry that ID designs and Geiser can do for you, the "anti dive" change. We took our trucks in for a major overhaul and after talking to Rick and a couple others that had driven the truck with changes we decided not to change our upper arm etc.

We made a simple change before the Baja 1000 that changed our whole program and like I said we ran well with it at the 1k.

I think that most of the trucks are awesome out there, and like all the builders but if I bought a truck today it would again be a Geiser.

Just for the record, if you are running a Geiser and need parts at a race we have pretty much a whole trucks worth of parts in our chase trucks. Saving up for a pre-runner

deano

McDeano
Reaction
I believe, if you're spending that amount of money on anything, it's about preference, not popularity .....

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
Dan McMillin posted about...

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
They're all just trying to keep up with the new Raptor. Four wheel drive, 10 speed and aluminum body under 5100 pounds. Shoot man Raptor is the schnizzle and did it all years ago, everyone else just chasing Henry Ford ever since his Model T-R spec.

Migwire

Reaction
Its a mixture of wanting the newest and wanting to spend money wisely. If you spend many hundreds of thousands, you will look to see whos consistently up front. Seems like Dale can smoke the field in Qualy any day of the week. He must be on to something. His luck for the race is different obviously. But its not the truck performing, its about not getting all your eggs clean and in the basket before the race (only in my opinion). I know hes been having motor issues,(not truck) and other factors that prevent him from winning. But if you look at Graf and Bean, they are proving to be a force. Once Dan and Luke and Tuls get their trucks dialed in,,, Its gonna be game on!

Robin Hood

Reaction
It all starts with the best salesman and is followed by the best business plan....Thats is where the buyers spend their money.

BajaFand

Reaction
Its a mixture of wanting the newest and wanting to spend money wisely. If you spend many hundreds of thousands, you will look to see whos consistently up front. Seems like Dale can smoke the field in Qualy any day of the week. He must be on to something. His luck for the race is different obviously. But its not the truck performing, its about not getting all your eggs clean and in the basket before the race (only in my opinion). I know hes been having motor issues,(not truck) and other factors that prevent him from winning. But if you look at Graf and Bean, they are proving to be a force. Once Dan and Luke and Tuls get their trucks dialed in,,, Its gonna be game on!

I believe Dales issues are all right foot related

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today