Trophy Trucks...and Coil Buckets

dezert_nerd

Reaction
I was wondering if there is anyone that built any trucks that were linked with coil buckets and smooth body shocks for the rear suspension. I mainly want to know how you guys did it and what tricks there were to doing it. If anyone can provide pictures too that'd be great too. I'm tossing an idea around of building a single cab ford with a beam and link setup with coilbuckets instead of coilovers, mainly for cost but also because it would be badass haha\m/\m/\m/

TRichards

Reaction
Perry McNeil had a setup with a coil and 3 small body shocks on rangers some time ago. Get it contact with him at Perrys fab and fiber.
Good luck.

dezert_nerd

Reaction
thats the kind of setup i was thinking about and one of the most common ive seen. Ive also seen a setup with mezzanine arms, the 1 thing i dont understand is wouldnt the coil bind and bend when compressing the suspension components whether it be a link or arm?

TRichards

Reaction
If the spring is mounted straight up and down, it won't bend too much. think like an a-arm, there is a radius to the arc also. The spring will coil bind if you dont do the math correctly. make your upper stop make contact before the coils touch. I think you can get 24" travel on a 6" skyjacker lift coil mounted in a 2:1 ratio and the rate works out pretty good. You probably want 150 lbs per inch at the wheel so look for a 300 lb per inch coil.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
Most chevy 1500 trucks 61-72 have a factory link set up with coils. I know it's not the same because the coils sit close to the rear axle but you might be able to get some ideas from it.

07FJRog

Reaction
we had a Courier that had that setup until recently, worked well and won many races, but it is noisey with the coils like that. we had two Fox 2.0 remote res on front and three 2.0 remote rez on rear per side.

The coils are huge and weigh a plenty.
Rear was linked and front beams, changed over the c/o and bypasses, works waaaaaay better now.

Just FYI

Rog

TRichards

Reaction
I remember the Express muffler truck. That thing at the FUD races was fast. I had the old macpherson S-10 and spent way too much money not knowing what I was doing to catch that truck. I remember the Brawley radiator Ranger also. One of the first trucks with 1/4 elliptic rear springs. Racing in the 90's was a blast.

dezert_nerd

Reaction
we had a Courier that had that setup until recently, worked well and won many races, but it is noisey with the coils like that. we had two Fox 2.0 remote res on front and three 2.0 remote rez on rear per side.

The coils are huge and weigh a plenty.
Rear was linked and front beams, changed over the c/o and bypasses, works waaaaaay better now.

Just FYI

Rog
saw the build of that white courier as they were rebuilding it on DR, its wat inspired me of the idea

UTVUGRUSTY

Reaction
Mine was coil all the way around.

DSCI0042.jpg

TRichards

Reaction
Here's a cantilever coil setup

Attachments

• Digital Pics Todd 009.jpg
    Digital Pics Todd 009.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 247
  • Digital Pics Todd 004.jpg
    Digital Pics Todd 004.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 366

UTVUGRUSTY

Reaction
I like how the coil is setup on that pivot, something you can fabricate or was it manufactured?

It look like someone had them machined special. I have 4 if anyone would like them.