Trophy Trucks Kick A$$

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
WOW!!! Trophy Trucks are awesome. The Baldwin brothers had their TT on display in Crandon over the weekend, and I must say I was very impressed. That’s the first time I’ve seen one up close (while exploring the details of such a machine, a certain part of me was standing at attention). I wish they could have brought a bunch of them to race at Crandon instead of the Pro Trucks.

What do those things cost anyway? I'll bet they don't give them away!

Bill Schmitt

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
For a brand new TT you are looking at $200,000 - $250,000. The Baldwin TT is a bit "older", you should see some of the new ones!!

See ya in the dirt!

Donahoe

Reaction
Nothing out there compares with the workmanship and design of the Baldwin trucks to date. Just my opinion... I could be wrong...But Brian Kadella is a frickin stud.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I by no means ment to imply that the Baldwin TT's aren't high tech (hence why I put older in quatation marks). They are extremely unique and very progressive in their design.

See ya in the dirt!

17fan

Reaction
Why does the Baldwin truck seem to sit higher than all the newer trucks? Do they run more ride height than other trucks? The Herbst truck and the Hermans motorsports trucks seem to sit a lot lower.

BigD

Reaction
werent the baldwins running dual bypass as well???? i could have sworn i had seen it on one of their trucks....maybe not. ill try and find a pic.

Jimmy8

Reaction
Lower is not always better. Did you know that on several of the Trophy Trucks out there, when the front and rear suspension are completely compressed at the same time, the chassis of these trucks can be 2-6 inches under ground. For the most part this never happens, but on the rare occasion it does, OUCH.

Trophy Truck #15
www.jimmybeaver.com

Junior

Reaction
Will we see TT #15 at the Parker 425? Primm?

Junior
EJR Racing Trophy Truck #44
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ejrracing.com>http://www.ejrracing.com</A>

Jimmy8

Reaction
Here is my story. I have taken the rest of this year off in order to get everything straight for next year. There will be some big media stories coming out later this year regarding next season. My 8 truck is having some modifications done to it right now to be able to compete in trophy truck. I will run my modified class 8 in trophy truck at both the Laughlin Desert Challenge and the Parker 425 next season. We are hoping for the real Trophy Truck #15 to debut at San Felipe next year.

Trophy Truck #15
www.jimmybeaver.com

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
If I'm not mistaken, the Baldwin TT does run twin bypass shocks and torsion bars. It has no coilovers.

See ya in the dirt!

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
Yes, the Baldwin TT did have dual bypass shocks. They were mounted in the back, kind of like a cantilever setup. What was the purpose of that, to get twice the travel out of a shorter shock body?

Bill Schmitt

blind655

Reaction
here is a pic with a little better view of the dual bypass shocks

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

Attachments

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
The dual bypass shocks I was refering to were on the <u>rear</u> of the truck.

Bill Schmitt

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Correct, no coils at all, except for some small rebound springs in the rear. Kreg is right, at least in part. I would differ on the design accolades, but, except for the Toyota, the craftsmanship used to build the Baldwin TTs has no rivals.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

jeff

Reaction
Ok ok... I know the a-arm torsion bar setup isn't the most popular... but I just had a crazy thought. I wonder how the Ford I-beam system would work with torsion bars as the inner pivot point? You could get rid of all that coilover shock and replace it with something else. Anyone know if anyone has been crazy enough to attempt this? I can think of plenty of reasons NOT to do it - anyone know of a possible benefit other than the packaging?

Also, does anyone have first hand (or first butt) knowledge of how well the Baldwin trucks really run when they are dialed in? I've seen them for years and they seem to run pretty well. However many are currently left. The construction is top notch no doubt, but did the money spent on the somewhat less than ordinary design yield any benefits that made it worth the additional cost?

Aloha

BigD

Reaction
i'd have to say from seeing that thing boost the road gap in the dezert people video that its pretty damn trick. it handles that lofting air as good, if not way better as far as sucking it up. just my two cents though, i dunno [censored]....

martininsocal

Reaction
for the I beam thing- no way, the beams are too long and would have so much mechanical advantage that the torsion bars would have to 3+ inches in diameter to carry the weight. A coil spring is nothing more than a really long torsion bar wrapped in a coil configuration. I don't think the torsion bar has an advantage over coils for several reasons. initial costs would be huge for R&D and getting proper spring rates, costs for the torsion bars would be very high. Also, changing spring rates would require a lot more work than just swapping coils. Also, coils allow more wrap or twist due to their longer length. The shorter a torsion bar is or the thicker it is, the lower the amount of twist it will allow. That is one of the things that holds back the VW style suspension with the shorter 1600 class arms.
I will say the trucks are beautiful pieces of work, but I have been wondering when they wer gonna put them on a diet and switch to coilovers.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Donahoe

Reaction
Fabricator, what truck do you like better design wise? just curious..

NEVER LIFT!!!!!