Trophykart flywheel problem

Doug Fleming

I had a flywheel break on the dyno. One big piece went threw four layers of glass flew 16 feet hit the wall a bounced back and hit the door on the dyno.

There should be a scatter shield between the seat and engine. This would have gone right into the back of the seat. They are very heavy and only made from cast iron.

07FJRog

I had a flywheel break on the dyno. One big piece went threw four layers of glass flew 16 feet hit the wall a bounced back and hit the door on the dyno.

There should be a scatter shield between the seat and engine. This would have gone right into the back of the seat. They are very heavy and only made from cast iron.

It would seem to me that Flywheel is inside the motor, and the clutch is outside the motor.

I would think you might already have a scatter shield made for this application??? lol, or at least one for your Dyno :eek:

how many peeps have lost a piece of Flywheel in a TK when racing??????

joecfd1

It would seem to me that Flywheel is inside the motor, and the clutch is outside the motor.

I would think you might already have a scatter shield made for this application??? lol, or at least one for your Dyno :eek:

how many peeps have lost a piece of Flywheel in a TK when racing??????
The flywheels is under a very flimsy piece of sheetmetal which tends to crack and break by itself. The rules state a minimum of .040 sheetmetal for the firewall which is clearly no match for a heavy flywheel turning upwards of 5500 rpm. This need to be looked at immediately before someone gets hurt.

Doug Fleming

isnt the tin behind the seat mandatory? Which motor?
It was a subaru. The shield needs to better than thin alum. This would have gone right thru what they are using now.

Rog, I am building sheild for the dyno now. I was very lucky My hand was on the carb when it broke. The fan shroud ended up behind Me and one piece bounced off the roof right above Me.

Who knows if it will happen again but the possibility is there for serious injury to one of the kids.

Doug Fleming

isnt the tin behind the seat mandatory? Which motor?
It was a subaru. The shield needs to better than thin alum. This would have gone right thru what they are using now.

Rog, I am building sheild for the dyno now. I was very lucky My hand was on the carb when it broke. The fan shroud ended up behind Me and one piece bounced off the roof right above Me.

Who knows if it will happen again but the possibility is there for serious injury to one of the kids.

07FJRog

Hmmmm, so are you gonna retrofit all of your motors with a new thicker starter cover? or similar safety device?

Glad you were not injured, def do not want to see anyone hurt. This would seem to me to be an isolated bad part casting???

I have many years experiance around these same type of motors and I have never seen a piece come off a flywheel, I have seen the woodriff key shear off and through the motor out of time, seen clutches come apart, rods out the side, but this is a first :eek:

Good luck Doug on improving the safety of these ( and your Dyno)

Rog