• Forum membership has its advantages....

TrophyLite launches updated R8 platform and invites BITD 6100

43mod

W financing it could also be the utv of trophy trucks. Whats the cost Gene. Also need do ditch that rugged radio POS

SMS81

Rugged has always been spot on for us, they supplied me with a filter in the middle of no where in Baja at the 1000 a few weeks ago while prerunning. Don’t know of any other company that would do that!

MTPyle

Yes Financing would be good. Can you finance a current TLR4?

Mike

johndjmix

100% Disagree. Find a less expensive truck to purchase, race, and maintain. Love the trophylite and what they have done. The trucks for sale are simply guys that now have experience, and the finances to move up to a more expensive class...im pretty sure none have anything against the trucks! That said, 2 of the guys I know that have moved up to 6100 have both told me they wish they never did....too much $$$!

--John

There were 8 Trophylite entries at the last event, including 1 owned by Trophylite. There are currently 7 Trophylites for sale in the RDC classifieds. That series may not be the best investment.

Last edited:

fishd00d

What A Joke
Rugged has always been spot on for us, they supplied me with a filter in the middle of no where in Baja at the 1000 a few weeks ago while prerunning. Don’t know of any other company that would do that!
PCI Would....... :)

SMS81

I’m not trying to get into a Rugged Radios vs pci debate, I know for what ever reason everyone has their favorites. Frankly, both companies have always performed well for me. I just thought it was over the top when a Rugged Radio prerunner truck showed up packed full of radio parts in the middle of absolutely no where and installed a $20 noise filter for free. If pci does the same thing, kudos to them, but I think that kind of service is pretty special. I was blown away. No hijack intended.

MTPyle

We have had great support from Rugged and are happy we use them.

people can be so opinionated about the brand they use. It’s like BFG. Everyone says BFG is the best and I can’t tell you how many times I was told I should use BFG instead of GT. I bet 3 times a race someone tells me BFG is the best but not one of those guys ever ran the GT. They are just repeating what they have been told. It’s like they are really not sure so they want everyone to be on BFG. Haha. Or it’s because they know BFG cost more so they assume it’s better. personally I don’t just believe what people say. We test and have an open mind. And we are going with Toyo instead of BFG for our larger tires.

point is if you haven’t used both then you can’t say which is better. And just because it’s better for your team and truck does Not mean it’s better for everyone.

johndjmix

Pretty happy with the yoko's on the trophylite, softer ride than the generals over rough stuff. When we went to them i was thinking we were going to have a ton of flats, but 2 parkers, and 2 Vegas to renos, along with a ton of testing...zero flats. In fact we still have the same set we put on years ago on the front of the truck!

--John

MTPyle

John,

I hear good things about the Yoko's. I think most of the tires are pretty good and have strengths and weaknesses. I think all season we only had 3 flats and all of those were from huge rocks we hit. The rest were from us smashing wheels. Since we went to forged wheels we have not had any issues. We had one tire at V2R and I hit a huge sharp rock in a turn, I knew right away the tire was going to be toast.

I think BFG, GT, Yoko, Toyo are all good, non of them suck. Just like Rugged does not suck just because PCI is also good.

I just find it odd that in racing everyone wants you to run what they run, Its like a validation. Kind of like religion, everyones religion is the best one. LOL

I dont want everyone to run what we run. I am glad most of the teams run BFG. I like beating them off the start line. Hehe.

Mike

johndjmix

Well said! Just like PCI and Rugged, Can-AM and Polaris, etc. A lot of people hang on a brand, but the game has changed these days and a lot of MFG's make a lot of "good stuff".

--John

John,

I hear good things about the Yoko's. I think most of the tires are pretty good and have strengths and weaknesses. I think all season we only had 3 flats and all of those were from huge rocks we hit. The rest were from us smashing wheels. Since we went to forged wheels we have not had any issues. We had one tire at V2R and I hit a huge sharp rock in a turn, I knew right away the tire was going to be toast.

I think BFG, GT, Yoko, Toyo are all good, non of them suck. Just like Rugged does not suck just because PCI is also good.

I just find it odd that in racing everyone wants you to run what they run, Its like a validation. Kind of like religion, everyones religion is the best one. LOL

I dont want everyone to run what we run. I am glad most of the teams run BFG. I like beating them off the start line. Hehe.

Mike

Fourstroker

John,

Mike
I would be leary of running a Yok TT sized tire( but would run there buggy tire). Herbst signed on with them 2 years, did advertising, social media, etc with them and never ran them in a race because they couldn't make them live longer than 60 miles without ripping treads off the tire. Literally they were shredded that quickly

MTPyle

Kevin,

The point is if someone likes what they are running then let them run it. The TL guys I think have to run Yoko. I don't think they have a choice. No point in telling someone they need to use a different brand. People act like I have never heard of BFG and tell me every race to switch, It's silly.

Trophylite has done a good job with sponsors and payouts. If they deiced to run a bunch of rubber bands wrapped around the wheel and the rubber band company pays big money then great. At least all the TL truck will have the same rubber band set up. Haha.

Mike

ltr450rider

Truck/Buggy classes that commonly compete in desert racing as of 2019:

Trophy/Trick Truck
Class 1
Class 3000 (Only a few)
Class 4400 (Hammer Trucks?)
Class 5-1600
Class 5U
Class 6000
Class 6100/Spec TT
Class 6200
Class 7100
Class 7/7200
Class 8 (only a few)
Class 9
Class 10
Class 11
Class 12
Class 1400
Class 1450
Class 1600
Class 2000
JeepSpeed (2x classes?)
UTV Stock/Rally
UTV N/A
UTV Turbo
UTV Unlimited
All the kids UTV's (not really counted in full desert racing though)

That is what I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure I missed some so fill in as needed. But let's add another class or 8 since we don't have enough.

J Prich

Truck/Buggy classes that commonly compete in desert racing as of 2019:

Trophy/Trick Truck
Class 1
Class 3000 (Only a few)
Class 4400 (Hammer Trucks?)
Class 5-1600
Class 5U
Class 6000
Class 6100/Spec TT
Class 6200
Class 7100
Class 7/7200
Class 8 (only a few)
Class 9
Class 10
Class 11
Class 12
Class 1400
Class 1450
Class 1600
Class 2000
JeepSpeed (2x classes?)
UTV Stock/Rally
UTV N/A
UTV Turbo
UTV Unlimited
All the kids UTV's (not really counted in full desert racing though)

That is what I can think of off the top of my head, I am sure I missed some so fill in as needed. But let's add another class or 8 since we don't have enough.
I get what you're saying but frankly the whole "we have too many classes" convo starts to get a bit "hey you kids, get off my lawn" ish. The decision to start a new class or not shouldn't be based on the total number of other classes that already exist. The decision should be based on whether or not there is a sustainable interest in the new class to remain viable, and what impact creating it may have on other already existing classes.

The total number of classes that currently exists is factually irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

joshmx88

nice job! How about a description with the class numbers too for those of us that are not as well rounded?

MTPyle

I saw a IG post that they were still working on the new R8 but it looked pretty far away from completion.

I have yet to see anyone register in 6800 for BITD, they created the class. I think there are a few that would if they got some traction. I know of one 6100 that could not upgrade tires or under drive so they are looking for others to race with. There were 3 trucks that raced in Old 6100 trim at the Mint that would fit into the 6800.

We need to suggest adding 6800 to the thread about consolidation. LOL

Mike

B. R C Arrow

I'm willing to bet ALOT of money that there will never be a new Trophylite R8 built under the current ownership. Also again look at the r4 class that has 38 trucks already established and there counts are down down down, why anyone would think Jason would make an R8 class grow all while killing the r4 class is beyond me. He can't even keep the r4 class afloat!