Trophylite - Love the truck and the class

johndjmix

Reaction
Since some people like to be negative about everything, i figured i would post my experience with Trophylite over the years.

I bought my TL back about 5 years ago, from R43mod "mr Orange" actually. At the time Rick Johnson was running TL. Always had a great time dealing with Rick, and all the TL guys.

Filling Ricks shoes, thats a tough thing do to. Rick is a super good guy, super dedicated. I have no idea how, with everything he did, had time to answer the phone right away any time a TL team would call him. We all love Rick!

Now when rick stepped down and Jason took over we knew there would be some changes. The truck and the class was stagnant for a long time.
Cobb brought in yokohama and Ultra Wheel. Everyone complained, including me! No one wants to change what works and spend more money. After the first race with the tires at Parker no one was complaining. The trucks performed awesome with the tires, they took out a lot of roughness and vibration out over the rocks, and to our surprise the softer yokos held up just as good as the generals. In fact, since they we have never gotten a flat...until V2R this year.....and, come on....boulders in the middle of silt ruts, what are you going to do. Im not knocking the generals, those suckers are tough as nails...but in a light trophylite the yokos defiantly perform better...

The complainers don't see what they are trying to do here - move the trucks up to current tech. Tires, wheels, lights, ecu, etc. If we never change anything the trucks get old. I cant think of one thing they have asked/had everyone switch to that didn't work better than what we had in there before!

Then comes the money, some say "They want to make money on everything". Well duh! They should make money, heck at least enough to break even on what they do for the class. I can't imagine the costs involved in them just coming to the races. They do it for the love of the sport, and yes....they should get a few bucks when they sell parts. Anyone that thinks they shouldnt, please fly out to colorado...i have a few weeks of construction work i would like done for free.

Then some complain "But now they widened the trucks and i have to spend $10,000 or my truck will suck against them". Bullshit. Myself, my team, and a few other TL owners have not widened the truck and like it the way it is. We pulled second place the last 2 years at V2R - heck i was running in 1st this year till i got sick again and had to stop. This is with the "narrow" truck...non-updated.

The ECU. If you think changing an ECU to blah blah blah brand will make you win you discovered the secret. Using an ECU other than the one TL tells you to releases the hidden secret in the motor. You will have over 400 HP by doing this. ----- Come on guys, really. Its a 2.4L Ecotec. It makes 200 HP...the ECU isnt going to change that much.

Lets go into costs. Motor 5k, trans rebuild $1,700. You get the brake pads at autozone. The only thing that reallys costs is heim's. And thats true for every race vehicle. The truck is a proven design, very safe, reliable and it works. My Can Am X3 is way faster - until we hit the rough stuff.....then it beats you to death. The suspension in the TL works!

The thing i like most about trophylite is the comradary (i cant spell) among the guys in the class. Its a tight knit group. You wont see hard core rough-housing on the course. Everyone knows everyone so everyone behaves. Don't get me wrong, when someone wants to pass, they let you know...but they arent going to end your day just for fun. Good group of guys.

Maybe instead of complaining the complainers should make up a list of what they want out of the class, and how to fund TL so they can do all the things they do. Lets get the class back in shape instead of bitching about every last thing!

Since we have been running up front lately, lets get some new blood in the class. Some new guys into it. You will have the time of your life, and be able to do it without selling the farm.

--John
Trophylite 6013
Wild Power Sports

T.martin

Reaction
I'm familiar with what the used ones are selling for. What's the cost of a brand new Trophylite?

Edit: Found it on their website. Starting at $64,999.

Last edited:

SMS81

Reaction
Trophylites are a fantastic truck!! Heart breaking when Rick left. Hope the new owner has gotten better.

BTW, I know johnj is a former series sponsor, and financially benefits from the success of TL so it is hard to swallow his opinion. And before you claim you don’t benefit, think back to the marketing, customers referrals and sales that where made for you because of TL. I know I was told to go buy a jack from wild power sports. Just my 2cents.

Personally, I would love to see TL succeed with a new owner or back with Rick. I would have no problem racing an ORIGINAL TL again(as long as I can find my ear plugs)!

T.martin

Reaction
I've looked at this class as the next step in my racing addiction. I currently race in 1700 Jeepspeed. I'd love to have the 18" of travel. I'm a fan of spec racing. However, in the case of Trophylite, I think too many things are spec. Not much room for personal improvements and ideas. Not sure if there is enough speed increase to make it worth the change in class.

SMS81

Reaction
I've looked at this class as the next step in my racing addiction. I currently race in 1700 Jeepspeed. I'd love to have the 18" of travel. I'm a fan of spec racing. However, in the case of Trophylite, I think too many things are spec. Not much room for personal improvements and ideas. Not sure if there is enough speed increase to make it worth the change in class.
So this is where most people, TL members included, destroyed a great class. This is a spec, DRIVERS class. It does not matter the speed of the truck, they are all supposed to be exactly the same. Modifying it to be faster defeats the purpose of the class. They are plenty fast the original way they were built. All the new adds destroyed a great class. This was always meant to be a tight competitive DRIVERS class, not a let’s see if they can win an overall. Watch some early TL videos, it is the best head to head Offroad racing you will find. Wish the new owner would have realized that.

43mod

Reaction
I bought johns tl as a bare frame w tinwork. Foutz was TL at the time. Every nut bolt and wire went exactly where i wanted it to go. I like building things and this gave me plenty of satisfaction as well as paying myself to do the work. I have no doubt Cobb would replicate this deal.
Great class and if the damn cab was big enough for a human i would race one again. The worst change was going to the 2.4. You could run gravel through a 2.2 for three seasons mo problem. Lastly My libtard buddy John is a fan of tl for sure but i will bet money he spent $25 promoting tl fir every $1 he got back.
Keep these damn things narrow and low cost.

Nwaunch

Reaction
We have been considering moving to TL and away from UTVs. Mainly we want to start moving to trucks and figured cutting our teeth on TL would be a smarter move than a more expensive truck class but also because the damn golf karts are a pain in the ass to keep running correctly. All I saw previously on RDC was negative post so to see a positive one is a breath of fresh air. Now I just have to keep myself from buying one or two...

Last edited:

WarTrophy6003

Reaction
Trophylite is an amazing class and an amazing stepping stone in to a more reliable and competitive class , and less expensive then full-bore turbo UTV , here you can compete against other full spec truckS , for 30k a year , and win it back if you can win!
You will only need 3-5 pit guys , 2 pickup trucks and you will average 42 mph over 550 miles, the trucks are a non-stop riot of fun and laughter !!

I came from UTV’s - I spend 50% of what I did to compete in UTV , and I have Won rookie of the year , and finished 98% of 4100 race miles .

mine program is for sale so I can allow someone to keep competing while I focus on my son, and his short course program next 2 years, I don’t want the truck to sit , most guys like John Ferrari do not run for a championship ... or all the races in the season, which is a perfect opportunity for new racers , young racers to use the TL platform as a stepping stone in racing .

I have met 15 people in Trophylite that are now in my racing family for life , good friends and some of the best people hang out for a couple years here .
Chris wardle

johndjmix

Reaction
1. I was never an "official series sponsor". We gave one of our $3,000 cooler builds to the V2R winner. How did i benefit from that? We did that for the class. Cost me $3,000. Zero benefit to me. Havent sold any to any racers - only celebs and movie companys.

2. I really want you to explain how i financially benefit from the success of TL. Really, explain this so you can show me where the checks are that ive been missing out on! Yes, we get a referal once in a while - same as everyone racing. Doesn't matter the class. If your a contractor im sure you have gotten some leads at the races and from people you know. Same with us. We have ZERO financial benifit from the TL. Any "benifit" you may imagine would be no matter what class we race. As i said, please send me the missing benifit checks!

Actually - tell me ANYONE who races off road and gets a significant financial benefit from it. We all need to know that secret!

--John

Trophylites are a fantastic truck!! Heart breaking when Rick left. Hope the new owner has gotten better.

BTW, I know johnj is a former series sponsor, and financially benefits from the success of TL so it is hard to swallow his opinion. And before you claim you don’t benefit, think back to the marketing, customers referrals and sales that where made for you because of TL. I know I was told to go buy a jack from wild power sports. Just my 2cents.

Personally, I would love to see TL succeed with a new owner or back with Rick. I would have no problem racing an ORIGINAL TL again(as long as I can find my ear plugs)!

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
The trucks are rad! They are a blast to drive! They are definitely the perfect stepping stone to 6100! The problems aren't with the trucks, not with the ecu's, not with the tires, or the rims, not with anything related to the truck, the problem starts at the top unfortunately, but I'm here with a positive for you if you decided to buy a tl, if you end up like many others who have delt with the current ownership of tl after Rick (Rick was an amazing owner and we had some of the best marketing and exposure under his leadership) you will still be able to race without running strictly in the tl class. I say buy a truck and go race it and if things don't work out dm me I have the solution that includes a purse to race for and championship to compete for.

Ps nothing against you John as we really have never met, but you rarely show up to races and when you have you've stopped in the middle for a picnic.

SmS81 let's get you back in a truck and get you and your son involved in what I dmed you!

The Wiks motor I purchased from 43mod in 2016 ran great, we won 2 races against faster cars in class 3k. But what we found out is you can't run the motor out of oil 3 times do to oil cooler breaking along with external oil filter bracket breaking and taking out lines and expect it to last. We ran 3 seasons on that motor, hard seasons before it finally gave up at Laughlin last Oct. It was a 2.4l

Last edited:

johndjmix

Reaction
Ps nothing against you John as we really have never met, but you rarely show up to races and when you have you've stopped in the middle for a picnic.
John likes food. LOL! You remembered my V2R 2 years ago. I was so excited to make it to pit 5? without vapor lock (I finally dialed in stuff!) i jumped out to grab some food....then forgot we were in a race. The sandwich was good! Got back in and managed to pull off 5th place. Man that was a fun day!

I wish we could do more races. This coming year we are going to try to hit at least half of them. Right now its 10:30PM and im still at the office. With everything we are doing, designing, expanding, etc...its hard to get out of here for a week. But see you at parker!

You did say the truck part right man. The trucks are fun.

--John

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
John likes food. LOL! You remembered my V2R 2 years ago. I was so excited to make it to pit 5? without vapor lock (I finally dialed in stuff!) i jumped out to grab some food....then forgot we were in a race. The sandwich was good! Got back in and managed to pull off 5th place. Man that was a fun day!

I wish we could do more races. This coming year we are going to try to hit at least half of them. Right now its 10:30PM and im still at the office. With everything we are doing, designing, expanding, etc...its hard to get out of here for a week. But see you at parker!

You did say the truck part right man. The trucks are fun.

--John
No Parker, we will be at Rage at the River though

SMS81

Reaction
1. I was never an "official series sponsor". We gave one of our $3,000 cooler builds to the V2R winner. How did i benefit from that? We did that for the class. Cost me $3,000. Zero benefit to me. Havent sold any to any racers - only celebs and movie companys.

2. I really want you to explain how i financially benefit from the success of TL. Really, explain this so you can show me where the checks are that ive been missing out on! Yes, we get a referal once in a while - same as everyone racing. Doesn't matter the class. If your a contractor im sure you have gotten some leads at the races and from people you know. Same with us. We have ZERO financial benifit from the TL. Any "benifit" you may imagine would be no matter what class we race. As i said, please send me the missing benifit checks!

Actually - tell me ANYONE who races off road and gets a significant financial benefit from it. We all need to know that secret!

--John
1. Your company name and logo were on the old TL website, that is callled marketing.
I’m sorry you did not make anything off your $3000 cooler, but that was a business decision to donate it.

2. Hopefully you are financially benefiting by your support of the series and offroad racing in general. I know I think it is absolutely fantastic that you tried to support the series by offering a cool prize to a race winner, wish more companies would get involved. That alone would make me buy from you versus a company that did not. And that is how you benefit by the success of TL, because consumers like myself will choose your company over another due to your involvement with series support.

3. Hopefully any and every sponsor that you see posted on vehicle, sign or other collateral is benefiting From their chosen marketing, if they didn’t, why would they continue to do so. I know I use my company on my race vehicle. That financially benefits me in many ways.

My post was not at all a personal attack, like I stated, I think it is absolutely fantastic you support Offroad racing with your business. Myself and the Offroad community thanks you for that, but I have reservations about posts from members with vested interest. Just like the people who say TL series is the best thing since sliced bread, BTW mine is for sale!

Hope that clears things up for you, good luck!

T.martin

Reaction
Why the change in track width? How many inches of additional width are allowed with new arms and a new rear end housing?

SMS81 makes a good point that TL is a spec drivers class. I always considered Jeepspeed to be something similar, but now I see there is a big difference. Jeepspeed has specs that essentially limit the speed but allow freedom to build the vehicle within the rules. Like I said before, there is a very long list of spec parts for these trucks. Just more food for thought.

jon coleman

Reaction
just go jeepspeed next step, modify the cheapest race car, the one you Allready own, that was my plan, slap a v8 in, get as much travel outa what i could afford, & work my way up, oh well, its a cash thing

T.martin

Reaction
What's the car count like at races these days? What series does TL participate in for championship points?

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
Why the change in track width? How many inches of additional width are allowed with new arms and a new rear end housing?

SMS81 makes a good point that TL is a spec drivers class. I always considered Jeepspeed to be something similar, but now I see there is a big difference. Jeepspeed has specs that essentially limit the speed but allow freedom to build the vehicle within the rules. Like I said before, there is a very long list of spec parts for these trucks. Just more food for thought.
Money is the reason for the widening of the trucks! In my opinion. The concept was to make them easier to drive and not roll, but a truck known for rolling went out on new setup and rolled 13 miles into Parker 425. These trucks didn't need to be wider, I at no point ever said "I wish my truck was wider!" I was screaming we need to find a new engine platform that has a surplus of motors, "supposedly the 2.4l are becoming extinct". The widening was instituted, not voted on or anything and infact the company who was building them had 2 trucks one of which ripped the entire right front off the truck because of design failure.

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
What's the car count like at races these days? What series does TL participate in for championship points?
Go back and look at pre 2018 and compare entries from then to 2018-2020, big decline even with supposedly higher purses. Some will even say they've never been paid there winnings.

If you can drive a non widened tl, keep it Rubberside down and fast you can drive anything! Look at the last champions, Travis Williams non widened, now really fast in 6100, PJ Guglielmo, non widened, was fast in 6100, Todd Jackson, non widened super fast in 6100, Messer non widened, fast in 6100. As far as I know not one person who ran a widened truck is fast in 6100 or even racing 6100.
Trucks are badass
Management is horrible
I'll have a solution that is going to make trophylites great again!

Last edited:

stephenrjking

Reaction
My post was not at all a personal attack, like I stated, I think it is absolutely fantastic you support Offroad racing with your business. Myself and the Offroad community thanks you for that, but I have reservations about posts from members with vested interest. Just like the people who say TL series is the best thing since sliced bread, BTW mine is for sale!
Who, then, is a good source to tell people that TL is a good series? Me? I have no vested interest; in fact, I am so detached from TL that I have never so much as seen one in person or watched one race live.

I am totally objective, but also completely uninformed.

I doubt that anyone can provide an informed opinion without having some kind of vested interest. If you discount the interest of someone who has popped a couple of bucks to support a series he also runs in, I assume you also discount the opinion of someone who regularly airs out personal grudges with the leadership? But who, then, is left to say anything?