Trophylite - Love the truck and the class

johndjmix

Reaction
Look. It comes down to this. Drive a TL. Then make the decision. For me racing ATV’s for years and ripping my raptor around was the closest I had ever got to being in a real race truck. If that’s you just wait till you feel the suspension. It’s going to blow your mind.

And

Although I do not have a financial interest in TL I have an interest that’s a lot more important than money.....racing! And good guys to race against! Not going to deny that, I like to race!!!

I know we have gotten a lot lot lot faster, but want more competition!

—john

SMS81

Reaction
Who, then, is a good source to tell people that TL is a good series? Me? I have no vested interest; in fact, I am so detached from TL that I have never so much as seen one in person or watched one race live.

I am totally objective, but also completely uninformed.

I doubt that anyone can provide an informed opinion without having some kind of vested interest. If you discount the interest of someone who has popped a couple of bucks to support a series he also runs in, I assume you also discount the opinion of someone who regularly airs out personal grudges with the leadership? But who, then, is left to say anything?

Personally, I reached out to Steve Surapas(sp) and other former owners that no longer had any type of biased opinion. I also did research on parts and race prep costs from some of the companies that where doing prep on the trucks. Lastly I researched finishing times and rates at events throughout the past years along with watching videos of these races. This is how I was able to determine whether TL was for me with the least vested interests as possible.

Yes, I also talked to people with vested interests but I understood that in advance and weighted their opinions accordingly. I even talked to Pete, and you would have been shocked to hear what the hater of TL had to say!

My opinion as a former owner of 2 trucks, they are a great race vehicle in their original form and would love to still be an owner. I would not be interested in the series or it’s current direction. That is why I am not an owner any longer. Sucks because there is no other spec drivers class out there. Gordon is doing a great job with SST, watch his racing, that’s how TL was, a drivers class. I guarantee you Gordon can improve those trucks, but that’s not the point.

Last edited:

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
Trophylite has 38 official chassis built, some have been hacked up, some burned down and some changed to go different direction, but still a majority of them are tl legal. You only have 4 options at this time if you are a trophylite truck owner, race in class 6000, be an underdog in class 3000, sell your truck for pennies on the dollar or sit on it and hope for change (and it's coming VERY soon!). Every truck owner has vested interest in the series. Why are Fabtech trucks for sale and why haven't they sold? They are winning trucks with a ton of spares. Why are they not racing? Why are no new trucks being built used trucks changing hands so frequent, why are numbers down. why is it everyone else who has actually been involved says they would still be involved if Rick owned it. Why are SOOOOO many trucks NOT being raced and collecting dus?

MTPyle

Reaction
I will add my opinion and it’s just that. I do not own or have raced a R4 but obviously being the only owner of the TL R8 I am interested and pay attention. Also two of my good friends have and race TL R4.

I think TL is a perfect step up for UTV classes. Once you get tired of breaking a UTV and changing belts a solid axle small format race truck like the TL is perfect. I believe TL cost less than UTV to race. Also UTV classes are so big and over crowded that it’s hard for a UTV racer to be successful.

So why is TL not successful? I would have to guess it’s management, not the truck or the format.

TL has not built a new chassis for years and I hear they had some on order but could not build them. They clearly struggle with building trucks as they still have not finished the new R8. It was started years ago before the new 6100 rules came out. So it’s already outdated. By the time it gets done 6100 will be racing spec Tesla electric engines. LOL

I have considered getting a TL for my youngest son to get some seat time. The turn off for me is having to get parts from TL. I get they need to keep it spec but I do not agree it all has to come from one supplier. I have heard they are long lead time for parts which would really mess up our program.

personally I don’t think they need to be wider, or open ECM. Just specify what stock engine package, trans, limit the type of shocks, and tire size that’s enough to keep it close and fair. I don’t think the body matters and the newer body that Brandon has is super cool.

If you want to have a tire sponsor and require a certain tire that’s fine but let people get that tire where they want. And maybe don’t pay contingency if they are on another tire.

I believe TL R4 could be great again and bigger than ever. Especially with the sport feeding in so many new racers from UTV. I would way way rather race a TL than a UTV, not even close.

Mike

johndjmix

Reaction
Lets get what we want addressed and move the class up! Ive setup a groupme for TL owners so we can talk about what we want from TL and be able to approach them rather than bitch on here. If your a TL owner PM me or get my # from one of the other guys and ill add you into the group.

--john

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
Lets get what we want addressed and move the class up! Ive setup a groupme for TL owners so we can talk about what we want from TL and be able to approach them rather than bitch on here. If your a TL owner PM me or get my # from one of the other guys and ill add you into the group.

--john
I vote for new ownership. Until then nothing is going to change.
Be careful John, you could get banned from tl for that. Lol

Plus I know what's going to happen and it's gonna make tl great again but not be called tl.

I have been in talks with a couple series promoters and they are on board with my idea. You guys all criticize me but I'm not selling my truck for pennies on the dollar.
Here is my idea:

We will run off the class 6000 drive train (2.4l ecotech built by Wiks, Redline or Turnkey) along with the class 6000 rulebook with modifications

Mod 1: you can run any body on your truck

Mod 2: you can run any 15 inch 33x10.5/12.5 tire combo (alot have kmc, methods and or ultra, generals and bfg's or yoko's). All rim/tire sponsored trucks are welcome

Mod 3: you can run the Mefi, entral or Life ecu systems and can discuss motec

Mod 4: there will be an engine claim rule

Mod 5; you can buy your parts from wherever you feel you get the best price.

Mod 6: seats, nets, belts, and lights are open.

johndjmix

Reaction
I have never given any money to TL (Other than entry fee or parts). I gave one of our builds to the V2R winner last year at our expense. Again no money to TL. Also no money from them except for purses from races.

Its time to cut the BS and get out there and race. Isnt that what we are all here to do?

--John

B. R C Arrow

Reaction
Attention ALL TROPHY Lite owners whether you race in the tl family or you don't, if you want to come race, bring your truck out to the SNORE Rage at the River and sign up in class 6000, you will be allowed to run any body on your truck, any 33x10.5/12.5 rim tire combo, any shocks, any lights, any safety equipment, Mefi, life, entrol or haltech ecu! If your not apart of the tl family we won't be racing for any TL money, BUT we all will be racing for the SNORE purse that will be paid out at the banquet following the races! The more trucks that enter the better the SNORE purse! Trucks must maintain chassis #1-39, 2.4l eco tech engine, turbo 350 trans and currie rear end! This will be our new home for anyone who doesn't want to race with/in the tl championship series. I'd like to thank SNORE for clarifying the rules for the class 6000. I'm entered, let's go racing kids! 10 trucks show up we race for $5600 + in purse money! Get your trucks out from under the covers, dust it off, put some fuel in it and bring it out to Rage!

Last edited:

Volkspower Racing

Reaction
If someone has a few TL collecting dust, I would be interested in 2. PM me thx!
One of my customers just put his TL up for sale on RDC classifieds, truck is clean and light, works great, has been on the podium all but 2 times in 3 years since I rebuilt it. Tons of spares

johndjmix

Reaction
Also looking for another TL for our electric TL project. What we need is a rolling chassis. No need for motor, trans, fuel cell,etc.

Looking for that truck that blew up or was scavenged for parts. No sense (and a waste of $) to take apart a good running truck to do this build.

—job.