• Forum membership has its advantages....

Trophylite or ??

SMS81

I see more trophylites for sale than I knew were still out there. I loved this class and miss my trucks. Still some of the most fun and affordable racing I have ever done period. I left because the new direction of the series was not for me. Is this the end of TL? Is there going to be a rebirth of a private owners group to keep all of these trucks that are for sale racing somewhere. Or what can the TL org do to get these trucks back racing under their wing? What went wrong? Sure miss my trucks!

43mod

the interesting part would be when was the last new truck built. I don't think there are too many more than I have seen before at times.
Agreed on fun racing these things. I have refused to drive my old truck multiple times just to avoid the temptation to buy one.

Brian Mc

I just put my truck up for sale because I have to many irons in the fire. Not because there is any problem with the series. I like the way the class is headed, basically the only change since I purchased my truck is wider rear end and front suspension.
Brian

SMS81

All trophylite owners know they can race 3000. Finding a class to run in was not the question.

johndjmix

Love my TL. Everyone loves them, the only reason guys sell is to move up classes.

In fact, a few of them that have moved up always tell me “wish I would have just stuck with the TL”.

Personally I love the truck and will not sell mine for a long long time :)

—john

geno760

I don't know that the series reaching the end. With several new sponsors coming on board (for at least the next 3 years) it would be pretty disappointing to have it all end so soon. Majority of folks who have sold are moving up to faster classes and that is the nature of the beast I believe for our class. Jason has been building new partnerships getting rental trucks out there and new people and new experiences in off-road. The class is still paying out 40k for the season and running the best sponsors and products in desert racing. The class has had folks sell off before, and it will happen again. It is great to see the value of these trucks running over the 60k mark for a pre-owned rig. I work pretty close with Jason to help with getting new people driving our trucks in the desert and in the last year, this has been going very well. New website has helped ( www.trophylite.com ) and exposure from our sponsors has been huge!

Looking forward to new team owners battling against our veterans race after race this year! See ya at the MINT!
-Geno

B. R C Arrow

Zero new trucks have been built since Todd Jackson's, although the newest chassis is about 75ish percent done, BUT it's being held ransom until TL pays some bills.
Under Scaroni, Foutz and Johnson the series thrived seeing car counts on the rise with consistent purses, marketing, TL branding, national exposure, 239 race recap videos, you also had transparency as to discussing rule changes (I figure each truck owner is like a stock holder and there are only 37 of us) to benefit the ENTIRE class and it's progression.

BUT since Jason Cobb has taken ownership we have seen a consistent drop in truck counts, the lack of purses (some not even being paid!), Zero transparency, but more of a "rule by iron fist" and if you go against him you are immediately black balled and even banned like he did to my race team and i back on draw day of the 2017 Laughlin Desert Challenge in which I was initially entered as a TL in class 6000. Some rules where put in that I felt would divide the class, that being the widening of the trucks, I spoke up about in the privacy of the "owners/drivers only" thread on TL website that ended up leading to our team owners being kicked out of the group and they blocked us from visiting the TL forums. But there is alot more history besides that if you wanted to know just ask, let's move on

Since Jason, 239 videos are no longer offered by TL even though the membership is still the same, at Laughlin last oct Jason and the TL tech didn't have any TL branding at all definitely the opposite of the 3 previous owners. The purses have dropped or become non existent, some race winners waiting months for race winnings.

Until a new owner or an owner coalition is formed to bypass or eliminate this fungus from the series I believe we will see continued drop in truck counts, I also believe in the next 2 seasons you won't see any big sponsors of the series.

For the record I loved the TL series, would do anything with our truck to give TL exposure, being a low budget team we are BIG fans of the truely "spec" concept with all the trucks being identical and it being a driver's class. Not sure with the class being divided by stock width and 4 inch widened trucks if it could ever be the same class it once was but one can dream no!? Lol until then we will race in class 3k and will evolve the best we can to make our truck competitive in that class without too much deviation from the original TL rules. Currently out truck is TL legal if we go back to a TL body (which brings me to another point, went to buy a new tl body to hang but never got a response, leading us to go to fiberwerks). Please someone #maketrophylitegreatagain

johndjmix

Personally Im not a fan of the widening. I wish we had time to run more events, but the ones we do I dont see the widened trucks doing any better. Don't get me wrong, wider = more stable, and easier to drive, but personally I like the narrower truck for several reasons. My truck will stay narrow and I feel this is an advantage! Others will feel the opposite.

5th place V2R 2018, and 2nd place V2R 2019 with my "narrow" truck, should tell you - widening isnt dividing the class any more than arguing....we all know in the real world it comes down to you and the truck holding together, and thats what wins races!

Now, if we were talking another 100 HP, thats a different story. But things like a few inches widening, a different ECU/tune, or hyd bumps.....not an unfair advantage at all!

--John

SMS81

Zero new trucks have been built since Todd Jackson's, although the newest chassis is about 75ish percent done, BUT it's being held ransom until TL pays some bills.
Under Scaroni, Foutz and Johnson the series thrived seeing car counts on the rise with consistent purses, marketing, TL branding, national exposure, 239 race recap videos, you also had transparency as to discussing rule changes (I figure each truck owner is like a stock holder and there are only 37 of us) to benefit the ENTIRE class and it's progression.

BUT since Jason Cobb has taken ownership we have seen a consistent drop in truck counts, the lack of purses (some not even being paid!), Zero transparency, but more of a "rule by iron fist" and if you go against him you are immediately black balled and even banned like he did to my race team and i back on draw day of the 2017 Laughlin Desert Challenge in which I was initially entered as a TL in class 6000. Some rules where put in that I felt would divide the class, that being the widening of the trucks, I spoke up about in the privacy of the "owners/drivers only" thread on TL website that ended up leading to our team owners being kicked out of the group and they blocked us from visiting the TL forums. But there is alot more history besides that if you wanted to know just ask, let's move on

Since Jason, 239 videos are no longer offered by TL even though the membership is still the same, at Laughlin last oct Jason and the TL tech didn't have any TL branding at all definitely the opposite of the 3 previous owners. The purses have dropped or become non existent, some race winners waiting months for race winnings.

Until a new owner or an owner coalition is formed to bypass or eliminate this fungus from the series I believe we will see continued drop in truck counts, I also believe in the next 2 seasons you won't see any big sponsors of the series.

For the record I loved the TL series, would do anything with our truck to give TL exposure, being a low budget team we are BIG fans of the truely "spec" concept with all the trucks being identical and it being a driver's class. Not sure with the class being divided by stock width and 4 inch widened trucks if it could ever be the same class it once was but one can dream no!? Lol until then we will race in class 3k and will evolve the best we can to make our truck competitive in that class without too much deviation from the original TL rules. Currently out truck is TL legal if we go back to a TL body (which brings me to another point, went to buy a new tl body to hang but never got a response, leading us to go to fiberwerks). Please someone #maketrophylitegreatagain
So this goes along with what I have been hearing as the actual pulse of the class. So what can TL do to make it a great class again? Is there enough dissatisfied owners to start an owners group to draw more trucks to the events? Any ideas? Entries are falling off, majority of the entries that TL has are first year guys or renters, I would hate to see a once great class fade away.

B. R C Arrow

First off TL should abandoned their new "R8" effort and put it back into the already established but yet depleting R4 class! As we all watch the 6000 truck count die we get stuck reading about how this new R8 program is the next best thing to sliced bread and think wait a minute we don't have any purse, no recap videos, no marketing, truck count at all time low and this dude wants to create another class! I'm sorry but being the series owner wouldn't you want the established class to thrive?
Second, owning a "spec" series with in a series or several series should be ran as a hobby business, making your mortgage payment of of the TL series its self is really hard unless your selling alot of NEW trucks, that's not happening so rules get changed to try and draw up some money, like the widening rule changed that's cost upwards of 10k not to mention all the time testing to dial it in again. Ill be honest, AT NO POINT EVER while racing our truck have I EVER said I think these trucks need to be wider, NO I was screaming we need more HP, a more stable ECU system like the Life Racing.
I know of a few disgruntled Jason Cobb TL owners, problem is if they speak up Jason will just black ball and or ban them as he did to my team and I. Forming a TL coalition of TL owners could save the series. Whatever it is it can't involved Jason Cobb as we can clearly see the results since he's taken ownership.

There are only 2 trucks running for the championship and one is the owners son lol. That is not a thriving series! TL is starting to look more like the Wide Open Baja arrive and drive tours just in the truck version! Most trucks are rentals.

Last edited:
I see more trophylites for sale than I knew were still out there. I loved this class and miss my trucks. Still some of the most fun and affordable racing I have ever done period. I left because the new direction of the series was not for me. Is this the end of TL? Is there going to be a rebirth of a private owners group to keep all of these trucks that are for sale racing somewhere. Or what can the TL org do to get these trucks back racing under their wing? What went wrong? Sure miss my trucks!
Thank you for the interest and Love in TL , I am currently in TL and Love every minute of it , and encourage you to ignore the the B.S. below. Last years Championship truck was sold in less then (4) weeks ,The Previous Owner Moved on to 6100. (1) of Spitfires(to Clint Tomlinson) 2 trucks on Race Desert Sold within 6 Weeks Of listing it . And Today the 6021 that ran the last 2 seasons sold to the Adonis yacht race team . I am Working on another Sale of a Truck at this moment for a Utah team.
The People Running the 2020 Season(in My Opinion ) are
Greg Bragg - in the 6012
Chris Wardle- in the 6003
Partrick Whitt - in the old 6077
Clint Tomilson in the 6069
Josh Cobb- 6066
Larry Schmusser Jr-6005
??adonia yaughts??-6021
Jim Rossi 6099-
Wyatt McMurray

That is 11 Solid People - Running the TL Class this year , And yes we would love to add you , i have a list of 37 TL trucks and Owners , Some people are like [email protected] Wild west , He just runs his races .... nothing anyone can do about that .... look @ a Menzies or Lofton team , they dont always want to do the same thing year after year , Right now the mint has put a Wrench in things , BITD , Snore,Score,More ,AZOP,BOR,CODE- they are all trying to be biggest and best . ..... It Divides Efforts and opens opportunities ...

So the Short Answer is Yes , People Still love TL , they love they can race a for 35-60 K a year in Prize money and Championships , trade paint with friends and act like Robby .....!!and Be Semi famous .

The Haters - Like the ass hat Below and above will always be bad and unproductive for any series , Sponsor or racing effort, They just dont get it. FYI , He has and was a pain in the ass in PRO TRUCK and In TL before the new ownership .

As far as the new ownership @TL- like them or hate them , it makes no difference , the bought it and the they own it, so it is theirs to run , I personally think they are doing an amazing job and Trying to hard to please the masses .

As Far as the widening kit , The ECU upgrade , the tire and wheel Series sponsor ----- LONG OVER DUE!!!! EVERY CLASS HAS EVOLVED - the Class is not divided , the class is running and loving all the upgrades...

This comment and comments above are my own , they are derived from FACTUAL information , not he said ,she said bullshit , about personal or other info ... Life is what you make it -

Also when you make a bet - pay up !

First off TL should abandoned their new "R8" effort and put it back into the already established but yet depleting R4 class! As we all watch the 6000 truck count die we get stuck reading about how this new R8 program is the next best thing to sliced bread and think wait a minute we don't have any purse, no recap videos, no marketing, truck count at all time low and this dude wants to create another class! I'm sorry but being the series owner wouldn't you want the established class to thrive?
Second, owning a "spec" series with in a series or several series should be ran as a hobby business, making your mortgage payment of of the TL series its self is really hard unless your selling alot of NEW trucks, that's not happening so rules get changed to try and draw up some money, like the widening rule changed that's cost upwards of 10k not to mention all the time testing to dial it in again. Ill be honest, AT NO POINT EVER while racing our truck have I EVER said I think these trucks need to be wider, NO I was screaming we need more HP, a more stable ECU system like the Life Racing.
I know of a few disgruntled Jason Cobb TL owners, problem is if they speak up Jason will just black ball and or ban them as he did to my team and I. Forming a TL coalition of TL owners could save the series. Whatever it is it can't involved Jason Cobb as we can clearly see the results since he's taken ownership.

There are only 2 trucks running for the championship and one is the owners son lol. That is not a thriving series! TL is starting to look more like the Wide Open Baja arrive and drive tours just in the truck version! Most trucks are rentals.

THIS IS
War. Just for the fun of it. Who are you ? Russ Phillips.
Chris WARdle - driver of the 6003 TL -

jon coleman

soooo, brc A . was booted for just speaking his mind?, or just a pain in the rear?, or?, two sides to a story, One side to the facts, ive seen Ugly politics in my nasa/ irrc/ scca days at the Club level,,,, give me a fricken break!!, i want the truth on this thread!!( you cant handle the truth , jon:oops: