Trouble shooting Toyota

Mike Hobbs

Reaction
Here's the story... My 1988 Toyota 4 cyl EFI truck is having a strange electrical problem. A few races ago it quit running and after messing with some wires thought the problem was solved. Ran the rest of the race and all was good. The next morning the truck would not start.

Back at the house found the cold air starting sensor was not pluged in all of the way. Plugged it in and the truck started right up. Figured that must have been the problem. Ran the truck testing things out and once again all seemed good.

At the last MORE race did 30 miles or so of testing and all was fine. Started the race and went 8 miles, truck died and would not re-start. We had fuel going to the injectors and spark.

Now back at the house a week later the truck starts up fine. Figured the cold air starting sensor must be going bad... Took it out... Truck starts. Unpluged it, truck starts. So that's not it.

I'm chasing my tail here, anyone have ideas of what's causing this?

Thanks,

Co-Dog

Reaction
Have you tried getting the trouble code out of the ECU?

Wayside

Reaction
Did you see what kind of fuel pressure and volume the fule pump is putting out? Also do you know if the injectors were firing or not

Mike Hobbs

Reaction
Haven't checked the ECU yet. The computer was programed by Jet Performance and have a feeling if I check it all kinds of things will show up.

Fuel pump seems to have good pressure but have no real way to measure the PSI. I can tell you this. Loosened the main fuel line to the engine and turned the pump on and it squats gas all over the place.

I think you both are on to something! Now I just have to get it not to run again.

Thanks guys!

JasonHutter

Reaction
We have had fuel squirting all over the place as well. It sucks not having a fuel pressure gauge......most of us don't. We are putting one in because of having problems before that would have been caught much sooner with the fuel pressure gauge. I guess what I am getting at is there still could be a problem with the fuel somewhere. There are a lot of problems that could occur with the fuel thing......

Jason

Co-Dog

Reaction
It's a good idea to clear the computer's memory so that when it happens again, there won't be a bunch of stuff on there. Makes it a lot easier to chase down them gremlins. Get the codes out before you clear it though, that way you can see if some are repeats.

Mike Hobbs

Reaction
Thanks for the idea! Plan to try it this weekend.

It's a good idea to clear the computer's memory so that when it happens again, there won't be a bunch of stuff on there. Makes it a lot easier to chase down them gremlins. Get the codes out before you clear it though, that way you can see if some are repeats.