trouble with my tig welder

bigkell5

Reaction

FABRICATOR

Reaction
You mean here? [ame="http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?p=325304#post325304"]Aerowave arc start problem - WeldingWeb™ - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts[/ame]

It sounds like you are loosing the H/F in the cable or cooler line somewhere. Have you tried removing the power cable and cooler line from the output terminal and checking it right there?

bigkell5

Reaction
sorry bout the links. they worked the other day. how would i check it at the output terminal? it will weld. it's just hard starting the arc.

Chase 2

Reaction
I don't know, but the Aerowave is such a great machine it is well worth spending money on fixing it right.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
I don't know, but the Aerowave is such a great machine it is well worth spending money on fixing it right.
one of the only machine close to the 700 dynasty as well , i know a couple of guys with them paid big$$$ back in the day for them

bigkell5

Reaction
i'm gonna hook up some more grounds and see it that helps. would anybody be interested in buying this welder? i might consider selling it to get one that doesn't have so many options as i don't need them. just putting out a feeler. not sure if i really wanna get rid of it or not.

Chase 2

Reaction
I'd buy it in a heart beat, but I don't have 3 phase electrical service to my home shop. Yes, the Aerowave does have options you most likely will never use, like all of the stuff for robotics/automation, still, once you get her dial in, I don't think there has ever been a better machine.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
I'd buy it in a heart beat, but I don't have 3 phase electrical service to my home shop. Yes, the Aerowave does have options you most likely will never use, like all of the stuff for robotics/automation, still, once you get her dial in, I don't think there has ever been a better machine.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/comparisons/dynasty_700.html

looking at this leads me to believe the AEROWAVE can be used on 1ph or 3ph it just dosen,t have the same duty cycle they give it a 200amp with 60% duty cycle on 1ph

FABRICATOR

Reaction
sorry bout the links. they worked the other day. how would i check it at the output terminal? it will weld. it's just hard starting the arc.

It only takes a few minutes but keep in mind this is generic for most any machine. That particular machine has a pretty wide array of H/F settings and cold easily have a very specific program problem. The test assumes you have the following three items:

1) There is a healthy spark at the spark gaps
2) You have tried different H/F settings
3) The problem exists on both manual and auto-start

If any of these are 'no': stop, you wont find the problem here.

If all yes, continue:
Put a piece of metal in the ground clamp and place it near the machine (not on it). Take everything off the machine's “torch” terminal and clamp a length of TIG rod to the terminal. Bend the TIG rod to so its open end is next to the piece of metal. Don’t let the TIG rod touch anything (that includes the floor, non-conducting materials, etc.). DO NOT hold the rod while testing. Position the end of the rod about 1/8” from the metal. Turn the amp setting way low. Observe the gap through your welding helmet and give it some throttle. If it jumps the gap, you are loosing H/F in your torch cable or cooling. The same test can be repeated by isolating those items as well.

If the spark cannot jump the gap, you need to remove the ground cable and try it again, this time using two TIG rods. If it jumps you have dissipation in the ground. If it doesn’t, you have a problem within the machine.

There usually isn’t much circuitry between the spark gaps and the machine output. It’s worth looking inside to check all the connections. That's also a good time to see how dirty the machine is inside and clean it out.

Chase 2

Reaction
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/comparisons/dynasty_700.html

looking at this leads me to believe the AEROWAVE can be used on 1ph or 3ph it just dosen,t have the same duty cycle they give it a 200amp with 60% duty cycle on 1ph
See that, you learn something new everyday!! In both of the settings I worked in with Aerowaves they were set up 3ph, and I distinctly remember being told by a guy that had three of them setting in storage that they were 3ph. He was going to GIVE me one for free, but I passed due to the 3ph!!! Dang!!! I missed out on that one!

bigkell5

Reaction
so i did those tests and it wouldn't jump the gap no matter what i tried. the machine is clean inside and out. what is my next step? take it to a pro and empty my wallet?

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Well now you know what it isn't anyway. That's a little bit less that a pro will have to mess with, or an un-pro can take you on.

That's one heck of a welding machine, and one of the very best for aluminum. It's well worth repairing.

tmathews

Reaction
anybody know anbody good around the hemet/san jacinto area?
Our closest repair facility is in Cudahy.. You could try Redi-Arc.. I think they also do repairs.